Running Back Room

TGHusker

14 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Completely agree. I know Frost and Held liked their small scat backs, but especially in this conference, I'd prefer a big body RB like Grant appears to be, with the ability to use power but also be agile. Time will tell, but it appears Yant is putting in work, Grant looks good in limited highlights, and Rahmir actually grew on me a lot with his play last year, and he's a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield.

With that said, the success of the RB position really hinges on the OL performance this fall. Fingers crossed there.

Whats funny is that with our supposedly abysmal OL, Nebraska's rushing game has been ranked #2, #2, and #4 in Big10 conference play the last three years. Our quarterback remains the leading rusher, and no featured RB has emerged, but you can't exactly call Frost's rushing game a failure, just the results on the scoreboard.

I think success depends on getting a rhythm to the offense and hone in on our role players. A mobile but pass-first quarterback opens the door for more RB touches, and while a lot of guys might deserve a look, it should be a more solid 2 player platoon for conference play. I thought we'd finally achieved that with Yant/Ramir last season, but it didn't last. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, jager said:

I'm just being a semantics Nazi, but I wouldn't say "hand picked". The recruits are the ones that they got to come here. If it was truly "hand picked", I'm sure we would have five star players everywhere.

If the word "hand" implies that  Frost was picking out avocados in the produce section, I retract it.  But if the larger point is that Frost has had four years to recruit --- some might say "pick" — the running backs he wants to coach at Nebraska, he has yet to find one better than the RB he inherited. That he can't have whoever he wants doesn't mean he can't make choices. Some bad luck involved, sure, but this really isn't a controversial take. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If the word "hand" implies that  Frost was picking out avocados in the produce section, I retract it.  But if the larger point is that Frost has had four years to recruit --- some might say "pick" — the running backs he wants to coach at Nebraska, he has yet to find one better than the RB he inherited. That he can't have whoever he wants doesn't mean he can't make choices. Some bad luck involved, sure, but this really isn't a controversial take. 

Maybe one might simply say it - Frost has personally approved each and every player on the team (scholarship and walkon) from the thousands the recruiting staff has identified and sought after.  Did he get the pick of the litter? Of course not but the players on the team are his choices.  If he is not paying attention, that’s his neglect.  So , I agree he has picked his players.  

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Whats funny is that with our supposedly abysmal OL, Nebraska's rushing game has been ranked #2, #2, and #4 in Big10 conference play the last three years. Our quarterback remains the leading rusher, and no featured RB has emerged, but you can't exactly call Frost's rushing game a failure, just the results on the scoreboard.

I think success depends on getting a rhythm to the offense and hone in on our role players. A mobile but pass-first quarterback opens the door for more RB touches, and while a lot of guys might deserve a look, it should be a more solid 2 player platoon for conference play. I thought we'd finally achieved that with Yant/Ramir last season, but it didn't last. 

And this is why I'm not a big stat guy. Like you said, our QB being the leading rusher is typically a red flag, and when you put that in context, that in most short yardage situations, our best run plays have been QB power with a lead blocker or 2. I view it as a combo of RB personnel, overall scheme for goal line offense, and OL play. It all needs to get better so I'm looking forward to seeing what the revamped offensive staff can do.

• Haha 1

I think I'll insert a "Breece Hall" name here.  It would have been interesting/curious to see what he would have been/done here.  He was a guy who had my eye ... just not the staff.  He looks to be a 1st round draft pick this year and had a solid impact at the college level.

I was fascinating by the stats Mavric posted for us.  Yet, for me, I'm still of the belief that the production from the RB spot was not where it needed to be and the OL was at least as big of a problem as the selection of the RB and passing on folks like Breece Hall.  It all is what it is and we look to get better and improve.  I'm still of the belief that we are a couple years away from the necessary OL and RB maturity and mindset necessary [and the DL spot is still not where it needs to be].

Here's to the development under our new coaches.

20 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I think I'll insert a "Breece Hall" name here.  It would have been interesting/curious to see what he would have been/done here.  He was a guy who had my eye ... just not the staff.  He looks to be a 1st round draft pick this year and had a solid impact at the college level.

I was fascinating by the stats Mavric posted for us.  Yet, for me, I'm still of the belief that the production from the RB spot was not where it needed to be and the OL was at least as big of a problem as the selection of the RB and passing on folks like Breece Hall.  It all is what it is and we look to get better and improve.  I'm still of the belief that we are a couple years away from the necessary OL and RB maturity and mindset necessary [and the DL spot is still not where it needs to be].

Here's to the development under our new coaches.

I hope we see meaningful improvement this fall because I’m afraid Frost and he new staff doesn’t have 2 or 3 more years to finally get better.  The Husker Nation has shown extreme patience and understanding thru the past 4 years. Two more of the same or similar will be unprecedented.   

I refuse to believe that substantial change for the better ( the eye test kind) is that far away.  So far, Frost has done remarkably well at seriously addressing nearly every problem area.  Still need some difference makers in the lines but that could happen yet and even with the roster we have, the potential is there to get 8 wins with a bowl game.  And even more if Whipple does great!  Got to think positive now matter how hard that seems to be at times!  

He’s big and good speed.  He needs to be in game condition (wind and stamina wise) and he will play I bet.  He may not be the #1 but he will get some chances and present a big problem for defenses.  They will have to defend the push/power run too!   But there are other backs that can run some inside with power as well.  It will get better quickly with a new focus and serious attn to the run game.  It will open up the mid range throwing game too.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

Dang, he looks so much better here.  If he can find his way from 225 to 232, and then get a little better OL blocking, then with this schedule I would think we can get 1000 yards out of the RB spot, perhaps, all 1000 yards just from this guy.  If we could have a guy like him to convert those 2-3 tough yards or have a 2nd and 9 and get 6-7 yards on that type of run, it would totally change the mindset of this team.

• Plus1 1
On 3/22/2022 at 6:23 PM, hunter49 said:

Bell and Stepp recruited as extras, barely.

I believe Bell was the starter for the first two games of his Husker career, and Stepp started his second and third game. Dedrick Mills fared better, but he was also a transfer who was inserted immediately and expected to have a leg up on the younger recruits. 

I think Washington had the chance to be something special. I don't think any recruiter could have caught that piece of due diligence, but it's still part of the story. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

If we had a offense where 1 of our running backs had 220-230 carries in a season we would probably have a top 5 guy in the nation. 

Just drinking my Kool-Aid over here. 

Probably wishful thinking but it could happen if we actually try.  I think Frost will be happy if we start winning.  We could be a good run team that throws a lot too!  Just remix the plays and threaten to power the ball more.  The O line sounds like they want to actually count some ‘pancakes’ again.  All the good pass game will be the syrup!   

i know - I’m dreamin’ again but just maybe God will once again be a Husker fan!