The team's home game routine.

2 hours ago, Axl_sued_me said:

Correct me if I'm mistaken. The team normally would stay at a local hotel in Lincoln and ride a bus together to the stadium, correct? If so, is this common for other programs? Does the volleyball, baseball, and basketball teams do the same thing? 

It's common for other football programs and not as common for some other sports that play more frequently.  

• Plus1 1

in this day and age I don't understand why they don't just build a building big enough to house 85 scholarship football players confortably with room for the walk-ons and coaches for game days.  That way everyone is in the same place all the time, no knuckle heads living off campus getting into trouble and what not.  They all get to have their normal routine for home games.  I hate sleeping in hotels and would be pissed if I had to sleep in a hotel before every game.  

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

in this day and age I don't understand why they don't just build a building big enough to house 85 scholarship football players confortably with room for the walk-ons and coaches for game days.  That way everyone is in the same place all the time, no knuckle heads living off campus getting into trouble and what not.  They all get to have their normal routine for home games.  I hate sleeping in hotels and would be pissed if I had to sleep in a hotel before every game.  

Forcing all of the players to live together, all the time would be brutal. They already spend a lot of time together with practices, meetings, training table, and other things at the football offices.  They don't need to be forced to live together in a specific building.

I get the thought around not wanting to sleep in a hotel before games, because I sleep like crap in hotels, too. But a football team only housing facility would be terrible. They are college students, not prisoners. 

• Plus1 4
55 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Forcing all of the players to live together, all the time would be brutal. They already spend a lot of time together with practices, meetings, training table, and other things at the football offices.  They don't need to be forced to live together in a specific building.

I get the thought around not wanting to sleep in a hotel before games, because I sleep like crap in hotels, too. But a football team only housing facility would be terrible. They are college students, not prisoners. 

Most of them live together anyway.  They could pick there roommates in their apartment just like they would off campus.  

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Most of them live together anyway.  They could pick there roommates in their apartment just like they would off campus.  

Which would defeat the purpose of getting the team together and away from outside distractions the night before games.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Which would defeat the purpose of getting the team together and away from outside distractions the night before games.

what outside distractions if they all live together? you would bring coaches in the night before as well and they could still perform their bed checks and whatever else they do.  

5 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

what outside distractions if they all live together? you would bring coaches in the night before as well and they could still perform their bed checks and whatever else they do.  

I thought you meant "pick their roommates" from anyone, not just football players.

I'm not sure you really know enough to say mostly football players live together.  I'm sure that's true to some extent but I doubt that's the majority.  I think a lot would be pretty unhappy if they could only live with other players.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I thought you meant "pick their roommates" from anyone, not just football players.

I'm not sure you really know enough to say mostly football players live together.  I'm sure that's true to some extent but I doubt that's the majority.  I think a lot would be pretty unhappy if they could only live with other players.

Yeah...I see no reason to change what they have been doing.  We have a lot more important issues to address than if we want the team sleeping together in a hotel before home games.

6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

No kidding.  I know there is this crazy idea that they are all best friends and want to hang out with each other all the time but just like with anything else, there are groups.

They don't want to be forced to be around each other 24/7

28 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I was just going off what personal experience I've had and people I know and from interviews with players when they say "I live with x,y,z" and name off three football players.  I'm not saying there aren't guys who live people who don't play football but I think with some research we would find that football players mostly live with football players, baseball players live mostly with baseball players and so on.  

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No kidding.  I know there is this crazy idea that they are all best friends and want to hang out with each other all the time but just like with anything else, there are groups.

They don't want to be forced to be around each other 24/7

I know they aren't all best friends.  I had teammates I genuinely disliked.  Some of them lived on the same floor as me.  You know where they didn't live?  In my room/apartment.  Just because you live in the same building doesn't mean you have to talk to or hang out with people. And when they leave the building they are still free to do what they wish with their free time.  Doesn't mean they have to do stuff together.  But they would all be sleeping in their normal environment before a game and probably more comfortable.  

13 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I was just going off what personal experience I've had and people I know and from interviews with players when they say "I live with x,y,z" and name off three football players.  I'm not saying there aren't guys who live people who don't play football but I think with some research we would find that football players mostly live with football players, baseball players live mostly with baseball players and so on.  

Yeah, I think a lot of sports players do end up living together, but I think they enjoy being off campus so they can meet and hang out with normal students.  That's part of the overall college experience, but I think that experience would be limited if they were forced to live in apartment building or dorm made up of nothing but football players or athletes.  They see enough of each other throughout the day, it would be lame if they couldn't be "on their own" outside of football activities.

I'm just curious why you would want to change the lives of over 100 football players based on 7/8 home games a year.