Conference Realignment Rumors

4 hours ago, sho said:

If Miami does join the BigTen, IMO, just adds more reason for ND to join.  Most of their rivals (UM, USC, and the U) would be in BigTen, would just need to add the tree, and I don't know how important that game is to ND.    Add Miami, UNC, ND and screw the Big XII, let's get UConn too.   Would put the BigTen as the top of the mountain (in terms of viewership) in both Football and Basketball.

I honestly think that is the plan.  I have read on some ACC boards that Clemson and/or FSU would be interested in joining  if ND were to hop on board.  I would be thrilled if we added Miami, NC, ND and one of Clemson/FSU.  

I know some will throw around the fact that Clemson and FSU aren't AAU schools but honestly, that won't stop the B1G from adding those 2 if they want in. 

4 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Longtime Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick is retiring in 2024 and will be replaced by NBC Sports Chairman Pete Bevacqua.  This might be very good for the B1G.  

Having an AD in the BigTen's corner is nice, but it's the AD's bosses that need to be swayed for the move.   If 4-5 on the Board of Trustees were wanting to make the move, even better.

• TBH 1
13 minutes ago, sho said:

Having an AD in the BigTen's corner is nice, but it's the AD's bosses that need to be swayed for the move.   If 4-5 on the Board of Trustees were wanting to make the move, even better.

ND is so interesting because the market of Indiana and Illinois (Chicago, really, where the most ND fans actually live), is already part of the Big Ten and BTN.

Which means they must be looking at ND boosting deals with stream services?  I know ND is  a national brand but you already have so many areas covered.  

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, nic said:

Currently 22M/yr I think. They are shooting for 75M to 100M. I do not think it's finalized, but I haven't been paying attention.

according to an August report from Sports Business Journal’s John Ourand, it should expect around $60 million per year.

If the expected amount is true, they won't be taking a pay cut to join a conference.   So any conference will have to have team distributions north of $60M per team to even interest the Irish.  With an 18 team conference we are talking TV contract north of 1.1 trillion annually.    :o

46 minutes ago, sho said:

If the expected amount is true, they won't be taking a pay cut to join a conference.   So any conference will have to have team distributions north of $60M per team to even interest the Irish.  With an 18 team conference we are talking TV contract north of 1.1 trillion annually.    :o

With 16 teams I think the Big10 was in the 80M range right?...and if ND joins we get bumped up by enough to cover them at that level. My bad memory says 60M is a lower salary than joining the Big10. However, access to playoff money offsets that. So with 12 playoff teams, ND would get in enough for them to stay independent.

19 hours ago, sho said:

It's early and I haven't had my coffee but I am pretty sure that is not how math works.

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

It's early and I haven't had my coffee but I am pretty sure that is not how math works.

haha, wow, yeah..added three extra zeros, this is why I don't do payroll.   :bang

Still over 1.1 Billion annually  is a lot to even get the Domers to consider joining a conference.

It is not so much that ND has a ton of fans but is it more that they are "Murderer, She Wrote"

Old people just have that station on.

Their national appeal is fading, fast, think for a second, do any of you even know a ND fan under the age of 50?  I know 1...That Is it.

The fact that EVERY team is on TV all the time has changed it all.  ND WAS in the drivers seat and might be for another 5-10 years...but then it is done. 

• Plus1 2

USF, Wichita St and Gonzaga to the Big East....no basis for this other than Gonzaga being courted by the Big East and Big XII.   They would fit better in the Big East, as they have no football program, but would want/need a travel partner.  Hence adding USF.   Adding WSU for the potential loss of UConn.   I could also see adding VCU instead of WSU if/when UConn leaves.