NBA 2023-24

Minn Timberwolf 17-4 best record in NBA.  Seeing that isn't normal when you look at standings.  But I give them props coming out of the gate.  It's a long season, they have a good team.  I don't expect them to sustain their early season success.  Meaning, nobody is fighting for playoff seeding and closing out games as they do later in the year.  But still, hats off to a very good start for Twolfves

On 12/9/2023 at 3:34 PM, admo said:

Minn Timberwolf 17-4 best record in NBA.  Seeing that isn't normal when you look at standings.  But I give them props coming out of the gate.  It's a long season, they have a good team.  I don't expect them to sustain their early season success.  Meaning, nobody is fighting for playoff seeding and closing out games as they do later in the year.  But still, hats off to a very good start for Twolfves

I really didn't think the pieces they assembled would fit. Thought the twin towers look would be a liability on defense as neither are good wing defenders and I wasn't sold on that combo being good enough on offense to off-set their defensive liabilities. So far, they are proving me wrong. We'll see if they can maintain that over the next 75ish% of the season. It'll be interesting to see how the West shakes out and how the trade deadline mixes things up. I'm really hopeful we are seeing the start of a new dynasty in OKC, really love the young pieces they have and they have SO MUCH draft capital they can probably make some splash moves to help push them to the next level.

On 12/9/2023 at 12:34 PM, The Murphinator said:

They are doing it to try and make the regular season more competitive and stop players from load managing so much.

It's a good idea, and it definitely helped make the start of this season more competitive and less load managing. Now that it's over, teams will revert back to load managing until February or so. Extending the IST and have winning the tournament mean something besides cash will help make it have a lasting impact. Once the novelty of the IST wears off, I suspect we will see more of the same in terms of load managing.

9 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

I have to like a sport where they have to manipulate their players into playing.  This is why the 80's and 90's stars mock these pampered athletes.  

I think a select team of today's young players could smoke the living s#!t out of most of those 80s and 90s stars. Especially the ones who claim these guys could never hang with their badass selves. Todays players are incredibly athletic, more multi-faceted, and the best are as competitive as anyone before them. They play exciting ball, and yes, even good defense given the change of rules. They still have some ugly fights and throwdowns if you miss that sort of thing. 

The in-season NBA tournament is actually modeled after in-season soccer tournaments, which have become popular with both players and fans. Since it's also about money, it will likely reclaim the payout to players and then some if it continues.  Didn't move the needle for me at all, but it didn't strike me as pampering.