the onside kick was stupid

1 hour ago, Undone said:

But I mean it's Northwestern, it's Pat Fitzgerald. You're up by 11, momentum is shifting your way.

Like I've said multiple times, I wasn't a fan of the call.

But I disagree with the characterization that Northwestern was prepared for it.  They had one guy there.  We had five.  We just kicked it right to the only guy who was in position for them.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

Basically NW was the better team.  The Huskers could probably play better defensively but offense and STs played about as well as one could realistically have hoped.  Unless NW is Big Ten west’s best (doubtful), this team will likely be about like the last 4.  

Amazingly, looking back, I don’t see much difference between any of Frost’s five teams.  Which one is the best?  Assuming modest improvement this year. 

25 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Basically NW was the better team.  The Huskers could probably play better defensively but offense and STs played about as well as one could realistically have hoped.  Unless NW is Big Ten west’s best (doubtful), this team will likely be about like the last 4.  

Amazingly, looking back, I don’t see much difference between any of Frost’s five teams.  Which one is the best?  Assuming modest improvement this year. 

His first year IMO. 

15 hours ago, Mavric said:

We just kicked it right to the only guy who was in position for them.

Kicking it to the one guy that was in position to recover the ball...classic Nebraska.

That's in the same zip code as punting the ball 30 yards off target to the wrong side of the field. Feels like it just won't ever end.

• Haha 1

Enjoyed this article ...

"And in Frost’s entire coaching career, six times he’s attempted an onside. Not once have his teams succeeded in getting the ball. In all six failed attempts, the other team got at least a field goal attempt. In five of them, the opponent would score. Four of those games his team was trailing, and his team would go on to lose the game. The other two surprise attempts? They would also lose the game.

To recap: Exactly 0% of those OSK attempts worked; 100% of them allowed a scoring opportunity; 83% of them actually allowed a score; and 100% of the time his team lost."

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2022/9/2/23334187/fire-everybody-scott-frosts-decision-to-kick-the-onside-was-even-worse-than-it-seemed-at-the-time

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Enjoyed this article ...

"And in Frost’s entire coaching career, six times he’s attempted an onside. Not once have his teams succeeded in getting the ball. In all six failed attempts, the other team got at least a field goal attempt. In five of them, the opponent would score. Four of those games his team was trailing, and his team would go on to lose the game. The other two surprise attempts? They would also lose the game.

To recap: Exactly 0% of those OSK attempts worked; 100% of them allowed a scoring opportunity; 83% of them actually allowed a score; and 100% of the time his team lost."

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2022/9/2/23334187/fire-everybody-scott-frosts-decision-to-kick-the-onside-was-even-worse-than-it-seemed-at-the-time

Tell me you don't understand statistics without telling me you don't understand statistics.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedN said:

Enjoyed this article ...

So to me that means he was due. I hope he does it until it works. 

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1