Northwestern Play-by-Play

Mavric

21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm curious to see more on a rewatch.  After the first quarter, I was pretty unimpressed with Thompson.  His accuracy wasn't very good.

Lots of plays like this that were a completion but not that great of a throw.

He was throwing behind or high to everyone.  Got worse as the game went on.  

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

@Mavric: Fair point there.

I think Thompson's individual performance was enough to get us a win. The fumble inside their red zone was huge, and so was the blown PI call late in the game.

Do you think it was a fumble?  I'm all for defenses making plays like that but I think his Knee was down.  Curious that the ref said the call stands and not the call is confirmed.  I think if that is overturned nobody is really talking about a botched onside kick.  

1 minute ago, Undone said:

@Mavric: Fair point there.

I think Thompson's individual performance was enough to get us a win. The fumble inside their red zone was huge, and so was the blown PI call late in the game.

Yeah, I don't think he was bad.  But he did miss several throws by a ways.  Palmer had a step on a deep post that could have been a TD and Thompson underthrew him.  The next time Palmer had a step again on a similar route and Thompson overthrew him badly.  Then there were a couple of other shorter routes that he missed badly on as well.

I'm also curious about the drops people are complain about.  Palmer had one on the first drive.  I don't remember much other than that.  There were a couple of other throws that *could* have been caught but they were pretty contested.  Which isn't a drop.

I totally agree on your other points.  That fumble that shouldn't have been was absolutely HUGE.  As big as the stupid onside kick - in almost the same situation (up by 11).  And the missed PI was bad as well.

I know bad breaks happen all the time but they seem worse when we're always coming up just short.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, SODAKSKERSFAN20 said:

Show the first INT and the lack of effort by Oliver Martin. I went nuts at home and I have to believe Joseph wont be happy either. He was the reason there was an INT and then jogs after the play. No effort. No heart. Exactly the kind of guys you need out of the program. 

I've seen several comments about Martin.  I haven't seen anything where someone can say that there was lack of effort before the INT.  I think it might look bad because you only get the last half-second before the ball gets there.  But if you look closer, I think that both he and IGC were trying to decide who would run which route.  The ball didn't come out right away and they were both running posts.  You can see IGC look across at Martin as the ball was in flight.  I think what probably happened was Martin also looked across the field right before Thompson threw it and by the time he looked back the ball was on him.

As far as after the INT, I'm not going to say it was the greatest effort I've ever seen.  But he didn't give up either.  He ran with the defender and was right there when the tackle was made.  So "no effort" is definitely not accurate.

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Do you think it was a fumble?  I'm all for defenses making plays like that but I think his Knee was down.  Curious that the ref said the call stands and not the call is confirmed.  I think if that is overturned nobody is really talking about a botched onside kick.  

It was close and maybe he was down. The reffing was the usual crap level overall, IMO. They missed another PI call that we committed also after not calling the one on our deep ball (which was maybe just a makeup call for that one, but still).

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

It was close and maybe he was down. The reffing was the usual crap level overall, IMO. They missed another PI call that we committed also after not calling the one on our deep ball (which was maybe just a makeup call for that one, but still).

Reimer had one that wasn't called.  Had the ole seat belt on the guy when they went for the ball.  There were some bad calls both ways.  Hixon pulled a guy down on the last of second to last series that I thought was pretty egregious 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'm curious to see more on a rewatch.  After the first quarter, I was pretty unimpressed with Thompson.  His accuracy wasn't very good.

3 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

He was throwing behind or high to everyone.  Got worse as the game went on.  

You're both right on the money here. There was nothing from him in Week 0 to help the "Adrian wasn't an accurate enough thrower" crowd's narrative. 

Honestly outside of not having any designed run calls he looked remarkably similar to what we've seen the last 4 years.