North Dakota - What did we learn?

admo

9 minutes ago, 308_Husker said:

One thing I recently learned is that Scott Frost took over the play calling duties in the second half. 

Gotta say, I commend him for that. We ran roughly 20% more and Casey Thomspon averaged about 3.5 more yards per completion and we scored 24 more points than with Whipple.

Saved his job for another week.

Pffft.....Then why didn't HE play Rahmir Johnson ???

• Plus1 2

I'm sorry, but Frost needs to step back and recognize.  He could have been fired last Nov/Dec..... for real.  That is why we have new assistant coaches.  He need to appreciate and let go of control.

If he understands this, he wouldn't take over play calling duties, in game 2 against an fcs team.

39 minutes ago, 308_Husker said:

One thing I recently learned is that Scott Frost took over the play calling duties in the second half. 

Gotta say, I commend him for that. We ran roughly 20% more and Casey Thomspon averaged about 3.5 more yards per completion and we scored 24 more points than with Whipple.

Saved his job for another week.

This has only been a rumor, and nobody has put out anything that this actually happened.  If Frost did yank play-calling duties from Whipple in the 2nd half, then he's even a bigger ego-maniac and micromanager as a head coach than I ever imagined.

He hired Whipple to do a job, and to basically take away that job 6 quarters into the season is foolish.  Now, I can see Frost working with Whipple during halftime to recommend some additional QB runs to help loosen up the ND defense, and try to take another defender away from Grant.  But, I hardly doubt what you "recently learned" is based on anything factual.

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

This has only been a rumor, and nobody has put out anything that this actually happened.  If Frost did yank play-calling duties from Whipple in the 2nd half, then he's even a bigger ego-maniac and micromanager as a head coach than I ever imagined.

He hired Whipple to do a job, and to basically take away that job 6 quarters into the season is foolish.  Now, I can see Frost working with Whipple during halftime to recommend some additional QB runs to help loosen up the ND defense, and try to take another defender away from Grant.  But, I hardly doubt what you "recently learned" is based on anything factual.

It's what I've seen on a couple different reaction videos on YouTube, so no hard evidence. I know Frost was asked about it in his presser and he didn't elaborate on it.

Whatever happened, clearly worked as our offense got on track. 

1 minute ago, 308_Husker said:

It's what I've seen on a couple different reaction videos on YouTube, so no hard evidence. I know Frost was asked about it in his presser and he didn't elaborate on it.

Whatever happened, clearly worked as our offense got on track. 

I don't mind some additional collaboration and input from Frost, but for Frost to take over play-calling duties would show me that Frost doesn't trust his assistant coaches, and is not a fit for the head coaching job long-term.

The reason the offense looked sluggish in the first half is that UND had the ball for nearly 3/4 of the time.  The D can't let an opponent keep the ball away for huge chunks of time.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Squib/Schwib.  Still terrible…

I’m sure Frost ‘saw something’ though.

That's nitpicking.  From kicking off at the 50, a squib kick is a decent call to kick a grounder and hopefully you have good coverage to pin UND deep.

The one argument I would accept, is that the special teams aren't a strength, so why try something other than kicking the ball 5 rows deep into the stands.

• Haha 1

I learnt that Oklahoma is going to knock the tar out of our offense. We’ll be schooled in discipline and physicality. The backup QB’s had better be ready to step in with all the pressure that’ll be launched at us. The Sooner defense is going to lay the hammer down on us HARD.

Our best hope is utilizing Grant and Allen and incorporating a bunch of quicker release passes. Maybe deploying Smothers helps our cause with some option.

Offensively, OU will run all day long on us at will and exploit our secondary. It’s scary how much of a yards total they’ll rack up.

The time of possession advantage to them will be enormous. We’ll be bone-tired halfway through the third quarter beginning in the second. And psychologically spent. The good news is that we’re able to score a few points against their second and third stringers. 

Scott will be erupting at halftime. Troops in contact. Troops in contact! Execute!!!

I’m lowering my expectations. Hopefully it won’t be quite that bad. I’ll learn something new.

Those Sunday morning meetings must be growing increasingly dark. 7-7 at halftime…

4 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

I think the problem is that Targeting can be called in addition to PF: Defenseless player and Roughing the Passer penalties. So the refs reviewed the targeting penalties (both of which were borderline, but have definitely been called as such in the past) and found that they didn't meet each indicator for targeting. The problem was, they didn't call each foul as including defenseless player or roughing the passer penalties, so the team got screwed out of penalties that should have been called in both instances.

The problem is that those weren't borderline.

Targeting is either leading with the crown of the helmet, or forcible contact to the head/neck area of a defenseless player. A receiver in the air is defenseless, as is a quarterback in a throwing motion. Both players got hit with forcible contact to their heads. 

• Thanks 1