North Dakota - What did we learn?

admo

3 hours ago, huskered17 said:

The Okl game should tell us all we need to know about this team. Then you can all decided who is the best starters, we have at rb, wr, , o line, D. 

GBR!!!

I can understand o-line and d but it's clear to me and the coaches and husker nation that Casey Thompson is the qb and is not getting unseated unless he is having a terrible game and SF wants to change it up or injury. Anthony Grant is a beast of a running back and there is no one that is going to start over him. Even if he doesn't get yards against Oklahoma he is still our best option regardless otherwise you would see guys splitting carries rn and there isn't much of that going on. Rahmir is on the outside looking in, Yant hasn't played much I believe or at all, Irvin has gotten some carries but hasn't been effective enough to do much on the field and Allen has speed and gains yards. Allen isn't redshirting bc he clearly has a role rn. I'd say he is our number 2. 

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Now I'm thinking he's really a poor player evaluator.

I think player evaluation is probably just fine with the state of the current program. Most of the guys we bring in are sought after by programs of similar levels and we seem to land a few that are wanted by programs in better current positions than us. I think he is poor at development, and the reason for that is that he hitched himself to cut rate staff. 

• Plus1 2

Chin is SO afraid of being beaten over the top, that he allows the dink game to not only flourish, but eat huge chunks of clock. It's seemingly true that our opponents best chances occur on 3rd and 8+ than they do at 3rd and 4-or less. And it's been that way since he arrived, so don't expect any miraculous change in philosophy. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

What games one and now two have shown us is mostly a confirmation of what was suspected by some, expected by some and disbelieved or denied by the rest. Nebraska football is just floundering around.

The roster has been in a constant state of flux. So many new additions and departures every year. Maybe TOO many players (150).  The saying ‘too many irons in the fire and none get hot’ applies?   Do coaches have too many guys to give the individual attention and instruction and build the trusting relationships with to truly help them develop?   Competition is good but if you have a large pool, can there be too many to the point all competitors become just a number and not a name?   

The psychology of building a team from many individuals is complicated.  At times, as an outsider looking at the forest, it’s hard to see the trees.  We have no idea really.  The team seems to be a positive bunch   There is camaraderie.  The effort looks good most of the time but gang tackling is spotty.  Consistency in blocking spotty at best.  Focus and intensity seems to fluctuate throughout games and even from one play to the next. Are players getting a consistent message from coaches, staff and each other?  With the roster turnover, you have to wonder how close the friendships are as those don’t really form in a few weeks or months.  Maybe a huge does of stability would be good medicine. ?     Sadly, a complete staff swap may be yet another churning of the mix which is unavoidable.  

The entire saga is just unfortunate.  The teams’ problems may be more mental than physical but probably a combination of both.  

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I mean...ranked team, at home, vs FCS team...3 or 4 year starting QB back...not all that impressive

Pot, meet kettle.  It was week one for them, watch how they do next week with a P5 opponent.

They pitched a shutout dude.  We were tied in the late third at 17 all with an FCS team.  TIED :lol:

• Plus1 2
36 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:
  1. Wynn/Drew > Robinson/Feist. Nash has played alright and gets a few pushes forward. Feist aint it. T Rob average 
  2. Grant is our best RB since Ameer Abdullah 
  3. Chinander doesn't adjust and has our safeties 15-20 yards off the ball. 
  4. Sanford needs to play more. Farmer/Buford look lost half the plays. 
  5. Our tackling was still abysmal  

Chins also sits in base on obvious running plays. We only have 2 true DL and 2 ILBs. It's a hat on hat and makes it tougher than it needs to be. 

Agree on all this. Chins is going to have to take some risks to try and get our guys off the field quicker.  I'll add to each of your points.

1. I think we will see more of Wynn and Drew going forward.  Robinson was obviously gassed from being on the field so much, our offense also needs to be able to maintain more time of possession to help these guys out.  There was a play in the second half Robinson literally looked like he was running around with his eyes closed.

2.  It's great to finally have a RB that has seperated as a clear #1 and is getting the bulk of the carries.  Finally getting to see one guy get in a rhythm and break some big runs has been so awesome it has been forever since we've seen that.  Interesting that Allen seems to be the #2.  I wonder if him and Gabe are close so they're going with the younger guy but he shows a lot of promise as well.  

3. Maybe the bend but don't break defense would work better if we had more depth on the d-line and all the way around but it's not working well currently.

4.  Farmer is what he is.  In regards to Buford, I hope we're taking our lumps with him now and will be rewarded later in the season but the potential is there.

5. Could it be any worse, my goodness tackling is so bad...

6.  Hausmann got the start, and from what I noticed he seemed to get to the spot but couldn't finish.  Not sure if the coaches were frustrated with the missed tackles or if he was making other mistakes as well but towards the end it looked like he got replaced with Kolarevic and EMC.  High ceiling guy, glad he's getting his feet wet because we've got to be able to spell Reimer and Henrich more.

7. Speaking of Kolarevic, he's struggling.  If Gifford wasn't so much smaller I think he'd be the clear guy there.  I'm not saying he's going to be as good as JoJo, that's a lot to ask but I think he's going to be a darn good one in another year.

8.  It's hard to pick out one guy on the o-line as they all seem to struggle at times but I really noticed Teddy getting beat a lot.  He just doesn't seem ready yet but I guess they're just throwing him in the fire but he's going to have to get there soon or they need to try Williams out there in my opinion.

9. There are a lot of new pieces on this team that have to come together.  I'm not giving up on them yet, I think they have a lot of room to grow and are far from hitting there stride.  Unfortunately they've got just one more game to figure it out. 

10.  I didn't love the tone of Frost's presser.  He sounded defeated and again looks mentally exhausted but maybe I'm reading into too much.  Not trying to beat a dead horse but darn I'm still  frustrated we couldn't finish in Ireland and give Frost some breathing room to start the year. He so desperately needs it but isn't going to get it.  The pressure of this season is going to be so much to overcome.  

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Pot, meet kettle.  It was week one for them, watch how they do next week with a P5 opponent.

They pitched a shutout dude.  We were tied in the late third at 17 all with an FCS team.  TIED :lol:

That is my point.  All the teams in the west have looked pretty lame vs super lame competition.  

Even Illinois lost to a horrible Indiana team.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

That is my point.  All the teams in the west have looked pretty lame vs super lame competition.  

Even Illinois lost to a horrible Indiana team.

I get your point but we are by far the worst team in the super lame competition.  Watch what Indiana looks like here at the end of the month.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I don't know that he has it out for Whipple, however, I think he has a blind spot when it comes to Chinander. 

The offense had its warts last year, but did not need a complete overhaul. And while the D was pretty decent last season, its the only season I think we can state that. For the most part this has been an average-at-best D during Frost's tenure. 

While I like the Whipple and Joseph hires, in an alternate universe, I wonder what this team looks like with most of last year's offensive coordinators, a new QB,  and a mostly different defensive staff.

Wait a minute...What if we overhauled the entire defensive staff installing a top DC. There's definitely a scotoma going on there. We now set Frost's buyout to $1M. Scott assumes play calling duties as OC. Les Miles is somehow brought in to assist with the O-Line. Whipple is made HC. Larry the Cable Guy is enlisted to serve as team Press Secretary! :)