Mike'l Severe rant on Scott Frost

308_Husker

21 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Hinting at things is the opposite of journalism.

No doubt. But it's the job of beat reporters as opposed to investigative journalists. Also, this is football.

It's more like employees who go to FACs and b!^@h about the boss (or Big Client) trading stories and gossip. Most of us have been there. But at what point do you record everyone's account and take it to Human Services? Or to your boss' boss?  Better be important and it better be true, because now you're gonna have a target on you.

It's not only possible but likely that some of the rumors about Frost are true, and some of the media has been lame. Why choose? 

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

No doubt. But it's the job of beat reporters as opposed to investigative journalists. Also, this is football.

It's more like employees who go to FACs and b!^@h about the boss (or Big Client) trading stories and gossip. Most of us have been there. But at what point do you record everyone's account and take it to Human Services? Or to your boss' boss?  Better be important and it better be true, because now you're gonna have a target on you.

It's not only possible but likely that some of the rumors about Frost are true, and some of the media has been lame. Why choose? 

That's exactly what we're saying. They "know" this stuff, but never even hint at it until after the coach is fired. Then they're like, "Yeah, we knew all of this was going on..."

Happened after we fired Callahan, Pelini, Riley and now Frost. 

That's not journalism. That's blogger stuff. Message board stuff.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's exactly what we're saying. They "know" this stuff, but never even hint at it until after the coach is fired. Then they're like, "Yeah, we knew all of this was going on..."

Exactly.

14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The scenario where the brave journalist writes a front page story about Scott Frost being seen drunk at a bar, or blowing off a recruit generally doesn't have the desired outcome for anyone. 

Rumor has it a Nebraska coach was once recorded in a foul-mouthed tirade against the state, the university and the fans, and declared he wanted out of the job asap. When the media broadcast that proof, the fans on this board defended the coach and demanded the identity of the whistle-blower. 

I could have sworn accusations about lazy practice habits involving coaches have made it into stories for at least a couple years. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Rumor has it a Nebraska coach was once recorded in a foul-mouthed tirade against the state, the university and the fans, and declared he wanted out of the job asap. When the media broadcast that proof, the fans on this board defended the coach and demanded the identity of the whistle-blower. 

I presume you mean the first foul-mouthed tirade against the state. That news "broke" years later, and the backlash wasn't against the media for publishing it, nor was the backlash universal. Meanwhile, local beat writers knew of the existence of that recording for years and said nary a word. 

Which, again, is not journalism. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I presume you mean the first foul-mouthed tirade against the state. That news "broke" years later, and the backlash wasn't against the media for publishing it, nor was the backlash universal. Meanwhile, local beat writers knew of the existence of that recording for years and said nary a word. 

Which, again, is not journalism. 

I'm not really arguing about journalism itself — it's generally not practiced at the highest levels in local sports -- but I think some fans here are engaging in their own brand of hindsight. They probably didn't want these stories broken two years ago, either (assuming they are true) and they don't want to hear them now, either. For the same reason beat reporters and publishers wouldn't want to run them: the personal stuff poisons the well and takes over the story.  

So no. We really don't demand more of our local sports journalists. They have never been rewarded for bad news. We let the national outlets break those stories, then accuse them of anti-Nebraska bias. While we say far worse s#!t on our fan boards. 

If you can locate the 2013 HB threads, I think you'll find the sentiment for Tapegate One leaned heavily pro Bo. You'll find another thread offering a reward for the identity of the person who leaked the tape.

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm not really arguing about journalism itself

That's odd, because this conversation started when a local journalist said on a hot mic that he knew about all of these things, but the first we hear about them is after Frost was fired. 

It's the old adage, "Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed; everything else is public relations."

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
34 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The scenario where the brave journalist writes a front page story about Scott Frost being seen drunk at a bar, or blowing off a recruit generally doesn't have the desired outcome for anyone. 

I could have sworn accusations about lazy practice habits involving coaches have made it into stories for at least a couple years. 

The head coach missing important team, conference, and University meetings because he's under the influence is reportable news and the desired outcome is to inform the public. As is the 45 million dollar coach who has a sexual relationship with a student. No one is asking for them to spread rumors. But when the highest ranking official in the University can't even meet the student code of conduct, that is news. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

Found this gem on reddit. No idea if it is true but if there is any truth to it only adds fuel to the fire. Probably worked out for the best though after seeing the first 4 games it would be a shame for a talent like Dylan waste his college career at such at train wreck of a program as NU.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Huskers/comments/xdesu5/comment/iobasn6/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

· 4 days ago

Received this twice now from different members of the same golf group who were at Cap Rock with Dominic Raiola in August. He can't stand SF anymore due to how the recruitment of his son went down. I have posted before about how we dropped the ball on communication with the family after the Spring Game. Ohio State and Ryan Day slid in, put the full-court press on, and never looked back once NIL $ came into the discussion. Dominic allegedly told his group that they had a family get-together at his house in Scottsdale to host Frost. 15 or so family members. He said his son was still really into Nebraska until what happened that day. Frsot was scheduled to do an in-home visit with them. I don't think he knew they had extra guests over though. He called Dom and said "I can't make it, I've had too many margaritas and too drunk." Dom replies they have a houseful of visitors to meet Coach Frost and to chug some water and Dom would send SF a Uber to bring him over. Frost replied again "No I can't make it, let's do it by Zoom.* Dylan walked up to his dad and said "I'm not going to play for him" and that was the end of the convo. Family took Ohio State's call that night and Ryan Day and most of the offensive staff flew to AZ the next day for dinner. Made him a priority and that was that.

• TBH 1
19 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Found this gem on reddit. No idea if it is true but if there is any truth to it only adds fuel to the fire. Probably worked out for the best though after seeing the first 4 games it would be a shame for a talent like Dylan waste his college career at such at train wreck of a program as NU.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Huskers/comments/xdesu5/comment/iobasn6/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

As has been previously debunked, this could not possibly have happened because coaches are not allowed to be in-home at that time.

But people really want to believe the worst, facts be damned.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 6
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

As has been previously debunked, this could not possibly have happened because coaches are not allowed to be in-home at that time.

But people really want to believe the worst, facts be damned.

Doesn’t mean that it still didn’t happen.  Frost’s In-Laws are from Arizona and he very well could have been down there visiting and was going to meet some friends. 

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Doesn’t mean that it still didn’t happen.  Frost’s In-Laws are from Arizona and he very well could have been down there visiting and was going to meet some friends. 

I mean ... you have to be pretty desperate to want to believe things that literally can not happen.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1