WR Gatlin Bair [Oregon - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

26 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Bair commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

On 6/12/2023 at 11:13 AM, Husker in WI said:

He just wouldn't be the first track guy to not have the football skills/instincts to make it happen. I wouldn't go so far as to not recruit him, but regardless of where he ends up I'd be more surprised if he does turn into a really good player than if he doesn't. Just so many questions with the mission as well - he is not going to come out of it more polished as a player, and developing a raw 20-year old is more difficult than a raw 18-year old.

Maybe not as polished as a player, but you can't easily teach that level of speed and his family's athleticism is rare*. The development of athletes at Rhule's previous stops makes me believe that their emphasis on loading up with athletic kids, despite however polished they are as football players, is the right move and makes the team more dangerous. 

*His older brother just finished 11th at the NCAA championships in the decathlon, highest scoring freshman in the event this year.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

25 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Still. 2 years of “everything can change,” and I’m not spending too much energy here in I’m NU. It’s like a developmental project that is not even around to develop. 

Seems like a significant number of high-caliber Power Five coaching staffs disagree with you.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Maybe not as polished as a player, but you can't easily teach that level of speed and his family's athleticism is rare*. The development of athletes at Rhule's previous stops makes me believe that their emphasis on loading up with athletic kids, despite however polished they are as football players, is the right move and makes the team more dangerous. 

*His older brother just finished 11th at the NCAA championships in the decathlon, highest scoring freshman in the event this year.

His 10.15 100m speed literally would've qualified him in the semi-finals of the Olympics, where runners from the Ivory Coast (10.15) and Brazil (10.17) qualified with similar times.

His size and speed are simply not really matched. Even if he just a track guy, running Go routes with his ability is enough to make defenses adjust.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

His 10.15 100m speed literally would've qualified him in the semi-finals of the Olympics, where runners from the Ivory Coast (10.15) and Brazil (10.17) qualified with similar times.

His size and speed are simply not really matched. Even if he just a track guy, running Go routes with his ability is enough to make defenses adjust.

Let’s go get the Ivory Coast guys then. At least they are immediately available. 

• Haha 4

I'm not saying don't recruit him at all - he does literally have world class speed. That phrase gets overused, he's the only recruit I can recall where it actually applies. I'm just having a hard time getting excited because a lot can change even if we do get him committed. On the bright side, it also won't sting that much if he goes somewhere else.

Honestly, I'm half expecting him to commit here, and then decide after his mission that it's important to be around others with a shared faith and experience. Ask for a release from his NLI (are those even binding after 2 years?) and ends up at Utah or somewhere on the west coast. 

13 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Agreed that it is near Olympic level speed, but it should be noted that the 10.15 was wind aided so the "official" time was slightly higher. However the sentiment is correct, he makes fast people look not so fast. 

• Plus1 1

I guess I agree with the sentiment that, I would love to have this kid on the team.  He obviously has amazing speed and could do great things stretching the defense at WR.

However, so much can change between now and when he reaches campus.  Heck, there are players that are on their third team in that span of time.  This kid could easily change his mind by then, no matter where he commits.  This kid will continue to be recruited for the next several years.

• Mavric changed the title to WR Gatlin Bair [Oregon - Signed LOI]
  • Mavric changed the title to WR Gatlin Bair [Oregon Commit]