** 2023 Opponent Preview : Colorado (Game 2) **

TGHusker

28 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Yes husker nation is going to be nervous bc Minnesota has had our number for so many years but more importantly I think we has fans know that some of our teams we had should have beaten them.  We want to see how our staff is going to call plays meaning you say this and then don't do anything you say your going to do.  Yes I know certain situations determine how you call your plays but lets say Nebraska gets down by 14 are they going to stick with the run and be a physical team to try to get back in it or they going to throw passes and not run?  Too many times Nebraska has gotten away from their game plan once the game starts.

I’m not going to be nervous for the Minnesota game, because I don’t think Nebraska will win. Minnesota has been the better program the past few years, and I don’t expect that to change in Rhule’s first game. Expecting Rhule to win on the road, in his first Big Ten game is asking quite a bit in my opinion.  I would even say the Minnesota game will have little bearing on how the rest of the season will play out. 

• Plus1 3

9 minutes ago, Street Novelist said:

It's been said, but this is just a friendly reminder that Colorado won 1 game last year; that's right, just 1 game. Unless Sanders is the second coming of Jesus Christ, I don't think he will be able to completely turn his team around in 1 offseason. 

I completely agree with this. Prime was also coaching in one of the worst conferences in FCS football, and is expecting his QB to make that jump, as well. 

49 minutes ago, Street Novelist said:

It's been said, but this is just a friendly reminder that Colorado won 1 game last year; that's right, just 1 game. Unless Sanders is the second coming of Jesus Christ, I don't think he will be able to completely turn his team around in 1 offseason. 

But what is a complete turnaround to you?  Not to be sarcastic but would a winning record count as a turnaround? Meaning 7-6 or maybe even a record of 6-6 to make a bowl game?  When you think of complete successful turnaround usually you think of great winning records.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I’m not going to be nervous for the Minnesota game, because I don’t think Nebraska will win. Minnesota has been the better program the past few years, and I don’t expect that to change in Rhule’s first game. Expecting Rhule to win on the road, in his first Big Ten game is asking quite a bit in my opinion.  I would even say the Minnesota game will have little bearing on how the rest of the season will play out. 

I just think that if we are the more physical team and we don't beat ourselves with certain penalties at crucial times within a game that we can win.  If the o-line has improved and the offense is not all on the shoulders of Jeff Sims and he gets help from others on the offense then we could definitely win on the road.  We haven't been a physical football team since Bo been here so hopefully during the fall the physicality of the team shows up in practice to make the games better to win.

7 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I just think that if we are the more physical team and we don't beat ourselves with certain penalties at crucial times within a game that we can win.  If the o-line has improved and the offense is not all on the shoulders of Jeff Sims and he gets help from others on the offense then we could definitely win on the road.  We haven't been a physical football team since Bo been here so hopefully during the fall the physicality of the team shows up in practice to make the games better to win.

We can win, but I’m not expecting it. You want a change in physicality and playing smart? That doesn’t happen right away. That takes time to establish and go from an “emphasis in practice” to something that’s ingrained in the entire program. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

We can win, but I’m not expecting it. You want a change in physicality and playing smart? That doesn’t happen right away. That takes time to establish and go from an “emphasis in practice” to something that’s ingrained in the entire program. 

Especially after the fumbles in the spring game. Yikes.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't care one iota about what happened in a spring game.  That "game" is so meaningless.

Meaningless? I don't know about meaningless. But it is several months away from game one of the season, so obviously doesn't necessarily have any bearing on how the season will play out. 

Both units could have had zero turnovers all spring game and then we come out against Minnesota and fumble a ton. Or we could come out against the gophers and not have a single turnover.

But our team has a pretty severe problem with turnovers. Hopefully that isn't considered debatable. In that context I personally would have greatly preferred to not seen a bunch of turnovers in the Spring Scrimmage.    :)

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
41 minutes ago, Undone said:

Meaningless? I don't know about meaningless. But it is several months away from game one of the season, so obviously doesn't necessarily have any bearing on how the season will play out. 

Both units could have had zero turnovers all spring game and then we come out against Minnesota and fumble a ton. Or we could come out against the gophers and not have a single turnover.

But our team has a pretty severe problem with turnovers. Hopefully that isn't considered debatable. In that context I personally would have greatly preferred to not seen a bunch of turnovers in the Spring Scrimmage.    :)

I know I am on the far end of the spectrum of how much weight I put into the Spring game.  There are others who put a lot of emphasis on it, while you seem somewhere in between.  I didn't even watch this past year's Spring game, and don't remember a single thing from the recaps that I read or heard.

12 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Minnesota has been the better program the past few years, and I don’t expect that to change in Rhule’s first game.

They have been the better program the past few seasons, but not dominant against Nebraska, specifically. Frost had the big win year 1, Minnesota had the big win in his year 2, and I think its been one score losses for Nebraska since.

• TBH 1
12 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I’ll be nervous before Minnesota because I’m a fan and I allow myself to have fun that way. If we win, that really helps getting the season off to a great start. If we lose, that puts the CU game in more doubt. 

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’ll be nervous before Minnesota because I’m a fan and I allow myself to have fun that way. If we win, that really helps getting the season off to a great start. If we lose, that puts the CU game in more doubt. 

I will be excited for the Minnesota game for sure, but I don't feel "nervous" about the outcome before the game if I think NU is going to lose.  That's just how I am, and how I have become the past few years.

3 minutes ago, brophog said:

They have been the better program the past few seasons, but not dominant against Nebraska, specifically. Frost had the big win year 1, Minnesota had the big win in his year 2, and I think its been one score losses for Nebraska since.

I agree that Minnesota hasn't been dominant over Nebraska, but the reason I have very little confidence going into that first game is that Rhule is trying to establish a new identity for the program, while Fleck has built Minnesota's identity over the past few years.  Yes, Minnesota has won the past few years from what Nebraska has "done poorly" rather than what Minnesota has done well.  But, I don't expect Rhule to flip the switch right away and get NU to play sharply with limited mistakes in the very first game.  That's going to be a process of improvement.

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

13 hours ago, Street Novelist said:

I would say the first two games have little bearing on the course of the year, despite what fans will want to think.  Back to back road games, one in conference and one in a hostile environment for a team with a new coach in his first year, isn't going to set the tone.  I fully expect to start 0-2, but to get better as the year goes on with an actual adult in charge this time. 

• Plus1 3