** 2023 Opponent Preview : Colorado (Game 2) **

TGHusker

That fast paced offense is going to be a test for our conditioning and depth early in the season if we don’t get off the field. But if our 3rd down defense holds, it’s going to have the opposite effect and end up wearing down their defense. Watching 5 minutes of their spring game was unmistakeable how fast they go. I’ll predict Colorado will rack up a few pre-snap penalties out of confusion.

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

That fast paced offense is going to be a test for our conditioning and depth early in the season if we don’t get off the field

Bring it on. If they want to play fast, they can't substitute, and that's fine with us. We don't have a defense that relies on running a bunch of personnel groups to match up. When they substitute we can rotate guys.

20 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

That fast paced offense is going to be a test for our conditioning and depth early in the season if we don’t get off the field. But if our 3rd down defense holds, it’s going to have the opposite effect and end up wearing down their defense. Watching 5 minutes of their spring game was unmistakeable how fast they go. I’ll predict Colorado will rack up a few pre-snap penalties out of confusion.

Has anyone been intimidated by that gimmick since like 2011?

50 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Has anyone been intimidated by that gimmick since like 2011?

Despite the fact rules have changed to negate most of the advantages, there are still teams (notably in the Big 12) that try to play at that 80-85 play range. Most of the upper tier teams are now about* 70 or so plays per game and expect Rhule to play at about that sort of pace.

*Note: reduce these numbers by ~5 plays per team per game as the NCAA implements rules to lower the total play count and shorten the overall game time.

26 minutes ago, brophog said:

Despite the fact rules have changed to negate most of the advantages, there are still teams (notably in the Big 12) that try to play at that 80-85 play range. Most of the upper tier teams are now about* 70 or so plays per game and expect Rhule to play at about that sort of pace.

*Note: reduce these numbers by ~5 plays per team per game as the NCAA implements rules to lower the total play count and shorten the overall game time.

Plus it was figured out in about 2 quarters when Chip Kelly tried taking it to the NFL, and nobody has been intimidated by it since.

43 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Plus it was figured out in about 2 quarters when Chip Kelly tried taking it to the NFL, and nobody has been intimidated by it since.

Chip Kelly was 1st and 2nd, respectively, in his 2nd and 3rd seasons (12th in season 1). The variance between him and everyone else then was negligible and the variance between him then and the NFL now is also negligible. The NFL is simply a slower paced league and it's very hard to speed it up to any real degree. "About 2 quarters" is pretty much spot on before an NFL coach comes to that conclusion.

They play TCU the week before us.  If Colorado keeps that road game close - or somehow wins - there will be butt puckers everywhere in Nebraska.  For the whole week.  :ohnoes

July trash talking is not the same as Colorado week in September.  :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Full disclosure, I was on the Prime to NU train.  Hope we do not lose to a guy who took over and after the spring game had one schollie player left.  A complete rebuild from the ground up.  New staff across the board.  If he can get them to gel and beat us that will hurt IMHO.  I'm still good with Rhule and was he has/is doing.  It'll just suck losing to CU again. More so with Prime's turnover there.  But it's just one game.  Beating Prime at home would be great.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, admo said:

They play TCU the week before us.  If Colorado keeps that road game close - or somehow wins - there will be butt puckers everywhere in Nebraska.  For the whole week.

If we were ranking teams by how unpredictable they are coming into this year, Colorado probably has to be number 1 due to the social studies experiment they are running, but TCU would likely rank very highly, too.

If you look at the 10 actual football regular season games they played (Colorado and Tarleton St dont count) TCU had (4) one score games, and although they defeated KSU by 10 they were down at one point by 18 in that one. TCU was a very good football team last year, but they were also a few bounces away from being an 8 or 9 win football team. If that were to have happened, we'd be talking about them being a plucky darkhorse this year, similar to how we view Texas Tech.

Instead, they're preseason 5th in the Big 12 and that may end up being too high. They have some exciting transfers but they lost an awful lot -- including their starting QB and OC. That's huge for a team last year that was so offensively dominant.

• Plus1 1

Just now, lo country said:

Full disclosure, I was on the Prime to NU train.  Hope we do not lose to a guy who took over and after the spring game had one schollie player left.  A complete rebuild from the ground up.  New staff across the board.  If he can get them to gel and beat us that will hurt IMHO.  I'm still good with Rhule and was he has/is doing.  It'll just suck losing to CU again. More so with Prime's turnover there.  But it's just one game.  Beating Prime at home would be great.

I couldn't agree more.  Prime has done a excellent job of getting the state to buy into the program.  I remember when last time we went to Colorado I thought for sure we were going to win.  Now I say respect every opponent bc a win isn't a for sure thing as we all have seen.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, brophog said:

If we were ranking teams by how unpredictable they are coming into this year, Colorado probably has to be number 1 due to the social studies experiment they are running, but TCU would likely rank very highly, too.

If you look at the 10 actual football regular season games they played (Colorado and Tarleton St dont count) TCU had (4) one score games, and although they defeated KSU by 10 they were down at one point by 18 in that one. TCU was a very good football team last year, but they were also a few bounces away from being an 8 or 9 win football team. If that were to have happened, we'd be talking about them being a plucky darkhorse this year, similar to how we view Texas Tech.

Instead, they're preseason 5th in the Big 12 and that may end up being too high. They have some exciting transfers but they lost an awful lot -- including their starting QB and OC. That's huge for a team last year that was so offensively dominant.

I don't follow your thinking.

Huskers are road underdogs to Minnesota by a Touchdown.

Colorado is also a road underdog, to TCU by 20.5 points.  CU won 1 game last season.  One game.  

TCU has the returning "Coach of the Year" who isn't forgetting how to coach now.....  and they played their way into the National Championship Game.  Like it or not, but those are some facts you might want to check out.

As for the Big 12, the preseason media always, always, always loves to put Texas and OU near or at the top.  Getting it wrong, like last year when the CCG was KSU vs TCU, or the year before when it was Baylor vs OSU.  Or the year before when it was Iowa State vs OU.  And now they put all the newcomers at the bottom of the preseason rankings - Cincinnati, Houston, BYU, Central Florida.  It is so dysfunctional that I don't know where to begin.

Here's my point again.  The Huskers open up on Thursday night.  On the road against Minnesota who won 9 football games last year and also the year before.  Back to back seasons.  They also beat the Huskers 4 years in a row.  So an 0-1 start to the season by the Huskers before going to Boulder will definitely make a lot of the Husker fans extremely nervous.  Especially if CU and TCU play a close game.  But... in the summer and July, Husker fans are not nearly worried as much because right now we are undefeated.  Let's see if that tune suddenly changes in September after the first week :)

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
On 7/15/2023 at 11:26 PM, brophog said:

I have no idea why your post is so hostile, but maybe you should reconsider the fact mine isn't intended to be argumentative.

Suggesting what was said as negativity or hostile might be misinterpretation on your part.  :dunno

Regardless, why care either way?  At the end of the day, it's a message board for adding thoughts about Husker football..... in July.  

I like you and think you have a lot of good insight, but I have to get back to my high-stakes dominoes game.  We grilling some steaks tonight.  And corn on the cob.  Peace

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
On 7/15/2023 at 10:30 PM, admo said:

I don't follow your thinking.

Huskers are road underdogs to Minnesota by a Touchdown.

Colorado is also a road underdog, to TCU by 20.5 points.  CU won 1 game last season.  One game.  

TCU has the returning "Coach of the Year" who isn't forgetting how to coach now.....  and they played their way into the National Championship Game.  Like it or not, but those are some facts you might want to check out.

As for the Big 12, the preseason media always, always, always loves to put Texas and OU near or at the top.  Getting it wrong, like last year when the CCG was KSU vs TCU, or the year before when it was Baylor vs OSU.  Or the year before when it was Iowa State vs OU.  And now they put all the newcomers at the bottom of the preseason rankings - Cincinnati, Houston, BYU, Central Florida.  It is so dysfunctional that I don't know where to begin.

Here's my point again.  The Huskers open up on Thursday night.  On the road against Minnesota who won 9 football games last year and also the year before.  Back to back seasons.  They also beat the Huskers 4 years in a row.  So an 0-1 start to the season by the Huskers before going to Boulder will definitely make a lot of the Husker fans extremely nervous.  Especially if CU and TCU play a close game.  But... in the summer and July, Husker fans are not nearly worried as much because right now we are undefeated.  Let's see if that tune suddenly changes in September after the first week :)

Yes husker nation is going to be nervous bc Minnesota has had our number for so many years but more importantly I think we has fans know that some of our teams we had should have beaten them.  We want to see how our staff is going to call plays meaning you say this and then don't do anything you say your going to do.  Yes I know certain situations determine how you call your plays but lets say Nebraska gets down by 14 are they going to stick with the run and be a physical team to try to get back in it or they going to throw passes and not run?  Too many times Nebraska has gotten away from their game plan once the game starts.