Riley: WRs job still open; Ron Brown not joining staff

Especially considering the lack of actual Running Back experience his rb coach hire has.

You do realize the new RB coach has more experience coaching RB's than Ron Brown does right?
I missed where he also coached RBs @ UNLV. So he does have one season on RB. I stand corrected.

Did you also miss the 3 seasons he spent at Oregon State coaching RBs?

Link to the Osborne days.

Thats why hes not coming back.

WE HAVE TO MOVE ON. EMBRACE THE PAST. QUIT LIVING IN IT.

If this was a remark directed at my comments…… that's fine…….. Just stating that I am NOT living in the past, have moved on…. supported Bo , will support MR, and hell, even supported BC, until he gave us reason's not too...

I don't think that presenting information should be construed as "living in the past", just because it doesn't quite "conform" with what some want to hear on the board. I am beginning to get excited for the fresh start, but it will not change the fact that the past has happened for a reason. When people are asking questions, you tend to give answers. When your "answers" don't match what some think, then you are called under the carpet.

If some only knew what they think they know…… I am too close to the situation that I keep referring too, so enough is enough….. It's official, RB is not coming back, a FEW us us know why….and if we try to state it, we are criticized….

So now that it is all done, ON TO BRIGHTER DAYS….

No. Not your comment exlusively. But rather a general obsession similar that with Riley gettin in touch with Osborne himself. Generally, as a fanbase we have this obsession with how it used to be done. TWENTY years ago. It was a winning combination then. But we dont know if it would even be competitive today. And we so deeply yearn to hold onto connecttions to that time that we completely fail to even examine the credentials of a guy like Ron Brown as a WR coach in a system to that of Langsdorf and Riley. And now the honest assessment. If Ron Brown did not coach here in the 90's with Tom Osborne, he would not be wanted back. He would be on the receiving end of the same "send these guys packing down the road" spit as the rest of Bo's staff. But that one connection is the only reason getting a pass. it's the same with Scott Frost. The only reason we even know who Oregon's offensive coordinator's name is is because he played here. Without that, we'd have zero interest whatsoever.

Now it's fine for fans to have this obsession I guess. It was a great time, and like I've said, there's nothing wrong with embracing the past, history, successes, etc. But as a program (players, coaches, administration) they HAVE to let it go and move on and do what's best NOW. Florida St finally decided to cut ties in a roundabout backhanded way with their god, Bobby Bowden, and look where it ultimately got them. I hope i'm expressing this thought process clear enough. If we continue to live in the pass, we're gonna fall further and further behind. Where we used to be at the top in innovation and futurizing the game, we are now living in the past and clamoring for "the old way".

• Fire 1

If this was a remark directed at my comments…… that's fine…….. Just stating that I am NOT living in the past, have moved on…. supported Bo , will support MR, and hell, even supported BC, until he gave us reason's not too...

I don't think that presenting information should be construed as "living in the past", just because it doesn't quite "conform" with what some want to hear on the board. I am beginning to get excited for the fresh start, but it will not change the fact that the past has happened for a reason. When people are asking questions, you tend to give answers. When your "answers" don't match what some think, then you are called under the carpet.

If some only knew what they think they know…… I am too close to the situation that I keep referring too, so enough is enough….. It's official, RB is not coming back, a FEW us us know why….and if we try to state it, we are criticized….

No. Not your comment exlusively. But rather a general obsession similar that with Riley gettin in touch with Osborne himself. Generally, as a fanbase we have this obsession with how it used to be done. TWENTY years ago. It was a winning combination then. But we dont know if it would even be competitive today. And we so deeply yearn to hold onto connecttions to that time that we completely fail to even examine the credentials of a guy like Ron Brown as a WR coach in a system to that of Langsdorf and Riley. And now the honest assessment. If Ron Brown did not coach here in the 90's with Tom Osborne, he would not be wanted back. He would be on the receiving end of the same "send these guys packing down the road" spit as the rest of Bo's staff. But that one connection is the only reason getting a pass. it's the same with Scott Frost. The only reason we even know who Oregon's offensive coordinator's name is is because he played here. Without that, we'd have zero interest whatsoever.

Now it's fine for fans to have this obsession I guess. It was a great time, and like I've said, there's nothing wrong with embracing the past, history, successes, etc. But as a program (players, coaches, administration) they HAVE to let it go and move on and do what's best NOW. Florida St finally decided to cut ties in a roundabout backhanded way with their god, Bobby Bowden, and look where it ultimately got them. I hope i'm expressing this thought process clear enough. If we continue to live in the pass, we're gonna fall further and further behind. Where we used to be at the top in innovation and futurizing the game, we are now living in the past and clamoring for "the old way".

The only aspect of the "old way" I'm interested in is the winning championships.
  • Fire 1

While I held little hope RB would be chosen to be on this staff of coaches, a part of me wishes he had been. I understand he is approaching retirement age and I am fine with MR not choosing him. If the lack of recruiting passion is the reason then I agree with the decision. The only reason I wanted him to remain at Nebraska has nothing to do with his link to Tom O. Ron Brown has been and is a molder of young men. He coaches more than their skills on the football field. I have met him several times and talked to players he has coached and all say he is one of, if not THE reason, they matured into manhood. I think the youth of today more than ever need a man who can show them the road to adulthood.

• Fire 1

Especially considering the lack of actual Running Back experience his rb coach hire has.

You do realize the new RB coach has more experience coaching RB's than Ron Brown does right?
I missed where he also coached RBs @ UNLV. So he does have one season on RB. I stand corrected.

Did you also miss the 3 seasons he spent at Oregon State coaching RBs?

Nope. I must have thought it was 2 instead of 3. So Ron Brown's 4 years of Running Back experience are definitely less. And I already stated that. I just thought there would maybe be room to keep a guy who coached Rex and Ameer, and would be able to help ease the transition on the offensive side, at least a little. I don't even care for Ron Brown as a person bc of his passion for fighting against the civil rights of others. It actually makes sense to me now that Riley wouldn't keep him. He seems pretty liberal.

Ron Brown was a great Husker coach. Sad to see him go but maybe it was just time.

Even Solich had to let some Husker legends go in order to move forward.

It sounded like some Husker legends didn't work so hard for Frank. I want to say that had a lot to do with recruiting, too.

Fair enough. I not only agree with "most" of your post, I appreciate your opinion. I think you have great perspective. I am not "sure" about Ron Brown though. I think he is a pretty good coach ( not saying he is a GREAT) coach, but he is GREAT for the University. He relates well to the young men, he sells himself and philosophies to kids and parents. He is a GREAT face for the University….. just the opposite of what many felt was Bo's shortcomings. As a coach myself, I truly believe there is a lot more to being a great coach than just X-Os……. I really think that RB is that the of guy. Typically, his position players have excelled on the field. You may be right though. I have NO argument that he may be someone who "we wanted to ship off" if he didn't have the ties…. you may be right.

Every time a Ron Brown thread comes up, without fail, the discussion quickly becomes extremely polarized. I would assume that first and foremost his not being retained is more of an X's and O's type of thing. However, after the Bo era of "us against them", I can totally understand not wanting to retain such a polarizing figure. Husker Nation right now needs unity. It needs coaches, players, fans, and media to come back together and be on the same team.

People have brought up the loss of continuity to Osborne's staff with him gone. I think that's a valid point of concern as we certainly hang our hat on tradition. However, a direct link to the Osborne era does not mean tradition will be upheld. Callahan did much to pave over existing traditions and he had Turner Gill on staff for the transition.

The point being, Riley will either "get" the tradition and embrace it, or he won't. Brown being on staff is not going to make-or-break that.

Jay Harbaugh for WR coach!

"Jay has forged his own way in this business to be a very good young coach," said Oregon State's Mike Riley, who was Jim's head coach for two years with the San Diego Chargers. "Jay is a grinder. He's like Jim to a T."

Harbaugh called his former coach, Riley, who agreed to help: Jay would enroll at Oregon State and participate in the football team's undergraduate assistant program. Jay did a little of everything, with an emphasis on special teams.

"He set the standard for our program," Riley said.

I dont agree with Ron's religious beliefs, but you cant ignore the success of the players he has coached. I dont care if he was from the Callahan era, the guy can motivate and coach. Ya, he sucks at recruiting. While i would love to see them find a spot for him, its not the end of the world.

fwiw, i think this "lack" of an offer has more to do with Perlman, than it does Riley. Perlman sour on TO quickly after all the Bo issues, and the hits to his ego from all the boosters siding with TO. No evidence of this, just a feeling.

Wow! That's not what we've been hearing! We were hearing that Riley DID offer him a spot but he turned him down. How disappointing! :(

I don't think it's a stretch to think people making hires always try to make it look like they got their first choice.

It's also not a stretch to think that this message board fantasy of Brown being offered the job and turning it down was equal parts BS and wishful thinking by Brown's fanboy contingent. Riley needs to have the staff around him that he wants, that he's comfortable with. The only reason Brown should have stayed is if Riley felt that he was a good fit into the philosophy and chemistry of his staff. If he's not, as is apparently the case, that's just fine with me. Personally, I'm glad he's gone.

• Fire 1