***2018 Recruiting***

I just don't like the idea of not taking a QB.

What if the staff can't get a QB recruit they like? Would you rather they take a chance on a QB recruit in a small class this year?

Yes

This is basically where my opinion differs from yours. Why take a guy just to take a guy at QB? It's such a different position. I understand sometimes you need to just take a guy at a different position for depth purposes. Say you have 15 scholarship OL (approx), maybe 1-2 of those guys you felt like you had to take, just for numbers sake. You might have 4-6 QB's on scholarship, you need to have the right 4-6 guys. You can't just take guys that are supposed leaders of the team.

I agree, that we should take a QB this class, but it has to be the right guy, and if the staff feels that they don't have a "right" guy at this time or at NSD, then I agree with their assessment.

I'm not confident we will have 3 scholarship QB's on the roster following the 2017-18 season. That is a concern to me when looking at what the other elite teams are doing.

I am confident, however, that the coaching staff wouldn't have to take a QB this cycle just to take one. I think they could get a very good QB to commit.

maybe i would feel better about things if the QB everyone was hanging their hat on wasn't still 2 years from leaving HS.

Everybody isn't hanging their hat on this guy - we are currently good with 3 young solid options. If the current choice for 2019 goes a different way i'm sure we have a backup plan that will be similar. Everything that you stated suggest that you don't "trust" our staff to make a wise decision and that is ok - it is your opinion which again is ok.

As low percentage of a chance this is...what if Lee does leave after this season, then Gebbia beats out POB. Is POB going to back him up or transfer? If we don't get a QB in this class, we're then banking on Lee not being a monster and Gebbia isn't phenomenal either. Don't take a QB just to take one but I really hope we can identify a solid kid for this class.

TL will have had a MONSTER of a season to leave early. If that happens, we'll be in good shape to pick up a recruit late in the process (or flip one) or get another transfer QB or JUCO going forward. There are a lot of options.

^ This a 1,000 times over - if DL and MR get Lee to go in the first 3 rounds after only one year of successful QB play we will have our pick of a 5* or Juco QB's and both Gebbia and POB would have a hard time leaving knowing that they are one play away from taking over the spot and a chance for a future NFL career.

Odd's of the above needing to happen are pretty slight, thou.

I'll just say it again. The current elite teams are not skipping on getting a QB every cycle.

Nebraska is not on the same planet as these teams but we'll be fine skipping?

and we are currently not elite - one of the reasons being that we have holes in depth. With a small class of 15 we have to plug the biggest depth issues. Sorry to say, our staff feels that QB is currently not this biggest issue.

I'll just say it again. The current elite teams are not skipping on getting a QB every cycle.

I think the situation RedDenver described is most likely.

What if Lee has a so-so season and no chance possible he leaves for draft? I'm not worried about not taking a QB in this class if no one leaves.

What if Lee has a so-so season and doesn't leave for the draft and gets beat out by POB or Gebbia and decides to be a grad transfer somewhere else for a year?

And my confidence in no one leaving is 0%

What are the payouts on a bet with 0% because I would like some action on that.

To be fair, elite teams usually have enough players leaving via the draft/exhaustion of eligibility that they don't have to worry about only having 15 spots open to sign recruits.

QB is the one spot that shouldn't be factored in on open spots. It should just be automatic that you get one every year.

please explain

Just for fun.....

If we were to all of a sudden add Joshua and Jordan Moore, Calvin Avery, Chris Bleich, Mario Goodrich and Ronnie Perkins.....

We would have the second ranked class.

Weird thing is that isn't even a "just for fun" thread worthy comment. Those are all currently very, very likely to happen. Perkins is the only one I would say probably doesn't end up N.

I just don't like the idea of not taking a QB.

What if the staff can't get a QB recruit they like? Would you rather they take a chance on a QB recruit in a small class this year?

Yes

This is basically where my opinion differs from yours. Why take a guy just to take a guy at QB? It's such a different position. I understand sometimes you need to just take a guy at a different position for depth purposes. Say you have 15 scholarship OL (approx), maybe 1-2 of those guys you felt like you had to take, just for numbers sake. You might have 4-6 QB's on scholarship, you need to have the right 4-6 guys. You can't just take guys that are supposed leaders of the team.

I agree, that we should take a QB this class, but it has to be the right guy, and if the staff feels that they don't have a "right" guy at this time or at NSD, then I agree with their assessment.

I'm not confident we will have 3 scholarship QB's on the roster following the 2017-18 season. That is a concern to me when looking at what the other elite teams are doing.

I am confident, however, that the coaching staff wouldn't have to take a QB this cycle just to take one. I think they could get a very good QB to commit.

maybe i would feel better about things if the QB everyone was hanging their hat on wasn't still 2 years from leaving HS.

Everybody isn't hanging their hat on this guy - we are currently good with 3 young solid options. If the current choice for 2019 goes a different way i'm sure we have a backup plan that will be similar. Everything that you stated suggest that you don't "trust" our staff to make a wise decision and that is ok - it is your opinion which again is ok.
So your logic is it's okay for the coaches to pass on a QB in 2018 because they might get their top pick in 2019 but if they don't it's okay because you're sure they have a backup plan? Seems to me it would be prudent to go with getting one in 2018.
  • Fire 1

I think the situation RedDenver described is most likely.

What if Lee has a so-so season and no chance possible he leaves for draft? I'm not worried about not taking a QB in this class if no one leaves.

What if Lee has a so-so season and doesn't leave for the draft and gets beat out by POB or Gebbia and decides to be a grad transfer somewhere else for a year?

And my confidence in no one leaving is 0%

What are the payouts on a bet with 0% because I would like some action on that.

We have had a QB transfer out several times since 1997. Not sure why you would be confident it won't happen again after next season

To be fair, elite teams usually have enough players leaving via the draft/exhaustion of eligibility that they don't have to worry about only having 15 spots open to sign recruits.

QB is the one spot that shouldn't be factored in on open spots. It should just be automatic that you get one every year.

please explain

I have.
  • Fire 2

and we are currently not elite - one of the reasons being that we have holes in depth. With a small class of 15 we have to plug the biggest depth issues. Sorry to say, our staff feels that QB is currently not this biggest issue.

Depth at QB is always an issue. Even when it's not. Because there can only be one. Too much attrition for my liking.
  • Fire 2

Tanner Lee doesn't have to have an amazing season to get drafted. Look no further than the #2 pick of the draft this year. Trubiski threw for 3700 yrds with 30 tds. Can Lee do that? I think so. TA threw for 3000 with 22 tds by only completing 50% of his passes. As long as Lee doesn't have a 1:1 td/int ratio he can get drafted. If he throws for close to 4k he will be gone. That leave the two current scholarship qbs to battle it out. I have a feeling whoever loses will stay because they are both young and have time to win the job or take over due to injury. I guess unless we find a QB who the coaches know is an absolute game changer I would be ok with skipping a qb this year if they can land a very talented player along the D line where we need more help than anywhere else on the field beside maybe O line

Tanner Lee doesn't have to have an amazing season to get drafted. Look no further than the #2 pick of the draft this year. Trubiski threw for 3700 yrds with 30 tds. Can Lee do that? I think so. TA threw for 3000 with 22 tds by only completing 50% of his passes. As long as Lee doesn't have a 1:1 td/int ratio he can get drafted. If he throws for close to 4k he will be gone. That leave the two current scholarship qbs to battle it out. I have a feeling whoever loses will stay because they are both young and have time to win the job or take over due to injury. I guess unless we find a QB who the coaches know is an absolute game changer I would be ok with skipping a qb this year if they can land a very talented player along the D line where we need more help than anywhere else on the field beside maybe O line

3,748 yards 30 TD 6 INT 68% - If Lee puts up those numbers we are 11-1 this season. I think we need to hold back the reigns a bit

3,748 yards 30 TD 6 INT 68% - If Lee puts up those numbers we are 11-1 this season. I think we need to hold back the reigns a bit

Or 8-5, ask the #2 pick

• Fire 1