Bruce Read. Fired

Riley is realizing that NU isn't Corvallis and there are actual expectations from the coaches.

Remains to be seen if this will be effective or if this is rearranging chairs on the titanic.

Even if it's just rearranging chairs, at least we know that Riley is trying to make changes to get the team in the best position to be successful.

• Fire 1

Big step for Mike Riley. I knew he had it in him.

I'm w/you Matty. The choir singing here that he'd never cut a friend was bs all season - gotta perform and there was little gray in what Read did this year (and last). Happy Mike is showing some stones, now wish the "fans" here would take that as an encouraging move.

And no teach, I don't think he does any of his hires or fires because he reads what the fans and what the press is saying.

DPR as WR is a different topic. Even with the crapshow we've seen on the PR team he was #3... in the conference I think? Can't remember.

I think so, but it's sort of related. DPE had some good returns here and there, but he didn't demonstrate that lightning dynamism with the ball in his hands from any position. He looked like he was about to become an all-conference sensation during his freshman season, but that potential has petered out some. It happens to plenty of freshmen. I think DPE will regret not redshirting to get his feet back under him this year. It's not automatic. DPE has skills, but he needs to be pushed for the PR job, too, or else he will only end his career as a pretty decent return man.

It wasn't all the punt return team, either, or I don't think that's the lone reason Read was fired. I mostly defended Read, but some of those miscues got ridiculous.

I think a move like this serves notice to other coaches who have been with Riley forever. They won't be able to stick around just because they're trusted. They have to earn it, every year. Spotlight will be on Banker which will be no problem, if he can handle it.

The longest return he had this year he literally got hit as he was catching the ball, broke that tackle, made several other guys miss and picked up 40+ yards. Yes, he's probably not 100% back to where he was. But he also has had significantly less space to work with because we are always scared of them faking the punt or just flat out not good at blocking for him.

• Fire 3

Riley is realizing that NU isn't Corvallis and there are actual expectations from the coaches.

Remains to be seen if this will be effective or if this is rearranging chairs on the titanic.

Even if it's just rearranging chairs, at least we know that Riley is trying to make changes to get the team in the best position to be successful.

Which is more than Bo ever did in 7 years. Riley has fired 2 guys in 2 years.

Which one actually tried patching the leak and which one said screw it and set the ship on fire?

• Fire 1

DPR as WR is a different topic. Even with the crapshow we've seen on the PR team he was #3... in the conference I think? Can't remember.

I think so, but it's sort of related. DPE had some good returns here and there, but he didn't demonstrate that lightning dynamism with the ball in his hands from any position. He looked like he was about to become an all-conference sensation during his freshman season, but that potential has petered out some. It happens to plenty of freshmen. I think DPE will regret not redshirting to get his feet back under him this year. It's not automatic. DPE has skills, but he needs to be pushed for the PR job, too, or else he will only end his career as a pretty decent return man.

It wasn't all the punt return team, either, or I don't think that's the lone reason Read was fired. I mostly defended Read, but some of those miscues got ridiculous.

I think a move like this serves notice to other coaches who have been with Riley forever. They won't be able to stick around just because they're trusted. They have to earn it, every year. Spotlight will be on Banker which will be no problem, if he can handle it.

The longest return he had this year he literally got hit as he was catching the ball, broke that tackle, made several other guys miss and picked up 40+ yards. Yes, he's probably not 100% back to where he was. But he also has had significantly less space to work with because we are always scared of them faking the punt or just flat out not good at blocking for him.

Bingo. Literally, his best play was saying "f#*k this" and ignoring what Read told him to do.

Think about that.

Which is more than Bo ever did in 7 years. Riley has fired 2 guys in 2 years.

Which one actually tried patching the leak and which one said screw it and set the ship on fire?

Listen, I'm not big on Pelini but if you don't think Shawn Watson and Carl Pelini moving on weren't "highly encouraged" by Bo you are crazy.

"highly encouraged" meaning you're fired but I will give you a chance to save face.

• Fire 2

Do you think it is smart for the punt returner to catch it at the 6 yard line? I certainly don't.

Generally speaking, no.

When your team is down 26-10 near the end of the third quarter and has been struggling on offense all game? I don't have a problem with it.

But the offense had just scored the previous drive and by trying to return the punt inside the 10 put the offense in terrible field position. I see what DPE was trying to do, but it was still the wrong play.

• Fire 1