Bruce Read. Fired

Folks--Banker won't be fired unless they can line up a quality DC to replace him first...and honestly, there aren't a lot of those on the market, and I don't think we can afford to risk promoting a position coach up.

Plus, would terminating Banker impact our recruitment? I haven't kept up on our recruiting...

I would be in favor of trying to get Charlie Strong as a DC. It's been said numerous times that he'd be an awesome DC.

• Fire 2

Folks--Banker won't be fired unless they can line up a quality DC to replace him first...and honestly, there aren't a lot of those on the market, and I don't think we can afford to risk promoting a position coach up.

Plus, would terminating Banker impact our recruitment? I haven't kept up on our recruiting...

I would be in favor of trying to get Charlie Strong as a DC. It's been said numerous times that he'd be an awesome DC.
I for one am an advocate for this although, this got me thinking about Will Muschamp. Awesome DC at Texas, goes to be the HC at Florida, gets fired after a short tenure and then hops on to the Auburn staff as a DC for one year, not really improving their defense I might add, before bolting to SC. I do not want to hire Charlie Strong for a 1 year pit stop as a DC.
  • Fire 1

Banker lost a ton on the line and we will see how the defense does next year.

I think Banker should go. I backed him heavily even after the OSU game, but after the Iowa game I realized something: We sh#t the bed against above average offenses, especially on the road. Ohio State's elite offense? Destroyed us. Iowa's slightly above-average offense? Destroyed us. Minnesota's decent offense? Had they not made a ton of mistakes, we would have lost. I had legit hope up to and including the Wisconsin game, because our defense performed as they should have in every one of those games, but that was all erased in the past 4 games.

As for Langsdorf, I can see either side. If he got fired, I wouldn't riot. If he got retained, I wouldn't riot either. I'm leaning more towards fire him too only because I am still not comfortable with his play calling abilities, There is no wrong side on this matter (except stupid ones, of course). I'll be patient with him even though I don't want to be.

I like Cav. Had to work with walk-ons, and still produced a not-horrendous o-line.

As long as Keith Williams starts smiling in group photos and stops getting DUIs, I like him. Great recruiter and very enthusiastic. Seriously though, has anyone seen his Instagram? Almost looks like he's intentionally frowning in photos.

Do you think it is smart for the punt returner to catch it at the 6 yard line? I certainly don't.

Generally speaking, no.

When your team is down 26-10 near the end of the third quarter and has been struggling on offense all game? I don't have a problem with it.

When your team has an average starting position of the 12 (IIRC) and you could probably let it go and guarantee your offense the 25 if it bounces.... ehhh, it's at minimum debatable.

Yup. Put him in the million dollar coordinator club.

• Fire 1

I for one am an advocate for this although, this got me thinking about Will Muschamp. Awesome DC at Texas, goes to be the HC at Florida, gets fired after a short tenure and then hops on to the Auburn staff as a DC for one year, not really improving their defense I might add, before bolting to SC. I do not want to hire Charlie Strong for a 1 year pit stop as a DC.

But if you want great coordinators, that's a chance you have to be willing to take. You don't want to stop hiring talented people with the fear they might leave in a year.

I would take my chances with Bray. He can't be any worse and is a much better recruiter.

yep

Great move by Riley and had to happen. We had one of the best returners in the conference and he was a non-factor all year. Plus the other gaffes in ST were awful.

If we can get Charlie Strong, go for it. Can coach defense and recruit TX and FL.

Langsdorf is here to stay based on the QB's we are recruiting. Banker is interesting to me. Sure we weren't that good on defense but he was no worse than Pelini. And he didn't have a D-Line at all. I think once we have the personnel to pressure the QB, Banker will do it and that is the brand of defense I want to see...fast and downhill.

But if you want great coordinators, that's a chance you have to be willing to take. You don't want to stop hiring talented people with the fear they might leave in a year.
the problem is in the case of Muschamp especailly, he wasn't a great coordinator for the time they had him, then a year later they are scrambling for someone else. I'm fine if Strong comes here for a year and coaches the defense up to top 3 in our conference and then leaves. But he can just go elsewhere if we were to hire him, see no markable improvement and he leaves after a year. Not worth it imo unless he brings in the best defensive recruiting class we have ever had in his one year.

Banker lost a ton on the line and we will see how the defense does next year.

I think Banker should go. I backed him heavily even after the OSU game, but after the Iowa game I realized something: We sh#t the bed against above average offenses, especially on the road. Ohio State's elite offense? Destroyed us. Iowa's slightly above-average offense? Destroyed us. Minnesota's decent offense? Had they not made a ton of mistakes, we would have lost. I had legit hope up to and including the Wisconsin game, because our defense performed as they should have in every one of those games, but that was all erased in the past 4 games.

As for Langsdorf, I can see either side. If he got fired, I wouldn't riot. If he got retained, I wouldn't riot either. I'm leaning more towards fire him too only because I am still not comfortable with his play calling abilities, There is no wrong side on this matter (except stupid ones, of course). I'll be patient with him even though I don't want to be.

I like Cav. Had to work with walk-ons, and still produced a not-horrendous o-line.

As long as Keith Williams starts smiling in group photos and stops getting DUIs, I like him. Great recruiter and very enthusiastic. Seriously though, has anyone seen his Instagram? Almost looks like he's intentionally frowning in photos.

You will see the light on this one to, you are just alittle slow on the eval

the problem is in the case of Muschamp especailly, he wasn't a great coordinator for the time they had him, then a year later they are scrambling for someone else. I'm fine if Strong comes here for a year and coaches the defense up to top 3 in our conference and then leaves. But he can just go elsewhere if we were to hire him, see no markable improvement and he leaves after a year. Not worth it imo unless he brings in the best defensive recruiting class we have ever had in his one year.

You have to be willing to make gambles like this. It's what being a good HC is all about. You can't just hire a nobody and expect him to lead your team to the top.