Bruce Read. Fired

We do little in the passing game to get guys like DPE the ball in space. Hard to judge their talent. Give them to someone with an innovative offense, and who knows how productive they would be.

I find it odd that DPE has had basically no success running the jet sweep. Reilly and Moore have done well but not DPE. No explanation for that.

As for the passing game, I think DPE is the victim of having better overall receivers in front of him and that the routes that he would excel at are the ones that TA is terrible at throwing.

As far as receivers go, it's a matter of hands. Westerkamp has phenomenol hands. Maybe the best evar of any Husker WR. Reilly and Morgan both have good hands, maybe great hands. DPE? Not so much. He drops way to many catchable balls.

The jet sweep? I have no clue why DPE doesn't shine on jet sweeps. Seems like that play is made for his speed and running skills. :dunno:

McKewon (yes, I realize he's hated here) has said that DPE needs to be involved in offensive plays that are most similar to punt returns. That is getting the ball and having most of the defenders in front of you and weaving thru traffic. He recommended using DPE in a running back role and throw swing passes and screens to him.

In jet sweeps, DPE is running sideways and then having to find a hole quickly without scanning the defense. Bubble screens are also pretty similar.

We do little in the passing game to get guys like DPE the ball in space. Hard to judge their talent. Give them to someone with an innovative offense, and who knows how productive they would be.

I find it odd that DPE has had basically no success running the jet sweep. Reilly and Moore have done well but not DPE. No explanation for that.

As for the passing game, I think DPE is the victim of having better overall receivers in front of him and that the routes that he would excel at are the ones that TA is terrible at throwing.

JMO, but DPE almost always cuts up the field while Reilly and Moore usually try to hit the edge before turning up. Reilly and Moore have more top end speed to help them get there. DPE isn't really that fast, just shifty and has good vision.

JMO, but DPE almost always cuts up the field while Reilly and Moore usually try to hit the edge before turning up. Reilly and Moore have more top end speed to help them get there. DPE isn't really that fast, just shifty and has good vision.

What makes DPE so effective on punts, at least in 2014, was the uncanny ability to plant his foot and get up field. Make the first guy miss and use his vision to weave through the rest. So many returners hesitate and try to find the lane, DPE gets past the first and forces defenders to react to him.

I like the idea of getting the ball to him in space. For example, on a screen, first guys misses, there is a great chance he goes yard. Same with a swing pass, get the D moving and him in open space. Jet sweeps, the hole D goes that way. A lot harder to make guys miss when there is several and how poor our OL has blocked. Now if Langs ever did misdirections........

X (return man)

O O

O O O

O

X X

X X X O O X

X X

X X O

O

O (punter)

Did you take this shot from the Goodyear Blimp?

Tore this page right outta Read's playbook. It was under the section labeled "Make the first 6 guys miss and you'll have 9 blockers against the last few guys" section.

It was the only other section in there besides "Fair catch kicks clearly going out of bounds" and "how to gain negative yards on a punt".

• Fire 1

Didn't Cethan Carter run a jet sweep for a touchdown in 2015? That's a guy who few of us would've ever thought could take a jet sweep to the house.

I would guess most opposing teams know of DPE's athletic abilities and make it a point to spot 15 and be prepared for what he can do, which may be one reason why the success hasn't been there.

Some of it could also be on DPE. I'm clearly no expert, but perhaps he just doesn't execute the play very well for any number of reasons.

• Fire 1

Wonder if the next guy will make 450,000 a year. About Banker, for whatever reason, he had the defense playing like the Blackshirts of old vs Wisconsin. For whatever reason, they looked twice as aggressive and fired up vs the Badgers than most other teams, especially Iowa. The Boys in Red simply quit vs OSU and Iowa, and that makes no sense.

But watch the Wisconsin game again and tell me there isn't a big difference.

• Fire 1

Wonder if the next guy will make 450,000 a year. About Banker, for whatever reason, he had the defense playing like the Blackshirts of old vs Wisconsin. For whatever reason, they looked twice as aggressive and fired up vs the Badgers than most other teams, especially Iowa. The Boys in Red simply quit vs OSU and Iowa, and that makes no sense.

But watch the Wisconsin game again and tell me there isn't a big difference.

If Riley can find a really good recruiter who can limit boneheaded mistakes on ST it'd be worth it.

Do you think it is smart for the punt returner to catch it at the 6 yard line? I certainly don't.

Generally speaking, no.

When your team is down 26-10 near the end of the third quarter and has been struggling on offense all game? I don't have a problem with it.

When your team has an average starting position of the 12 (IIRC) and you could probably let it go and guarantee your offense the 25 if it bounces.... ehhh, it's at minimum debatable.

25, huh? If it goes out of bounds, you get it where it goes out of bounds. If it goes in the end zone, you get it at the 20.

Riley is realizing that NU isn't Corvallis and there are actual expectations from the coaches.

Remains to be seen if this will be effective or if this is rearranging chairs on the titanic.

Even if it's just rearranging chairs, at least we know that Riley is trying to make changes to get the team in the best position to be successful.

Which is more than Bo ever did in 7 years. Riley has fired 2 guys in 2 years.

Which one actually tried patching the leak and which one said screw it and set the ship on fire?

Listen, I'm not big on Pelini but if you don't think Shawn Watson and Carl Pelini moving on weren't "highly encouraged" by Bo you are crazy.

"highly encouraged" meaning you're fired but I will give you a chance to save face.

Watson went because he wasn't Bo's yes man.

I'm pretty sure Carl taking a HC job had very little to do with Bo insisting he take it. lol

Ummm, a certain booster and an illicit relationship Carl was having with his married daughter tell a different story.
Didn't Carl also have a drug problem the school found out about?

Didn't Cethan Carter run a jet sweep for a touchdown in 2015? That's a guy who few of us would've ever thought could take a jet sweep to the house.

I would guess most opposing teams know of DPE's athletic abilities and make it a point to spot 15 and be prepared for what he can do, which may be one reason why the success hasn't been there.

Some of it could also be on DPE. I'm clearly no expert, but perhaps he just doesn't execute the play very well for any number of reasons.

For sure they scout DPE on jet sweeps. Go back and watch he barely has the blocker other guys get on the jet sweep. The defense is usually flying toward the LOS when DPE gets it and he is usually being contacted behind the line.

Do you think it is smart for the punt returner to catch it at the 6 yard line? I certainly don't.

Generally speaking, no.

When your team is down 26-10 near the end of the third quarter and has been struggling on offense all game? I don't have a problem with it.

When your team has an average starting position of the 12 (IIRC) and you could probably let it go and guarantee your offense the 25 if it bounces.... ehhh, it's at minimum debatable.

25, huh? If it goes out of bounds, you get it where it goes out of bounds. If it goes in the end zone, you get it at the 20.

No...if it goes into the endzone on a punt, you get it at the 25. That change was made like 3-4 years ago.

Generally speaking, no.

No...if it goes into the endzone on a punt, you get it at the 25. That change was made like 3-4 years ago.
that's only on kickoffs, although the ball could have taken a nebraska bounce and ended up at the 25 ;)

It was time for Read to be shown the door. I'm glad that Riley was able to pull the trigger. I thnkt hat you could see the writing on the wall the way that Riley had talked about STs the last few weeks.

But...

I don't know why people get so worked up about his salary. Isn't it a positive that we pay our assistants good money? And with paying them that good money, there comes a requirement that you better do your job or you will be shown the door?