Bruce Read. Fired

Riley is realizing that NU isn't Corvallis and there are actual expectations from the coaches.

Remains to be seen if this will be effective or if this is rearranging chairs on the titanic.

Even if it's just rearranging chairs, at least we know that Riley is trying to make changes to get the team in the best position to be successful.

Fair point.

Do you think it is smart for the punt returner to catch it at the 6 yard line? I certainly don't.

Generally speaking, no.

When your team is down 26-10 near the end of the third quarter and has been struggling on offense all game? I don't have a problem with it.

But the offense had just scored the previous drive and by trying to return the punt inside the 10 put the offense in terrible field position. I see what DPE was trying to do, but it was still the wrong play.

At that point, I give up 10 yards of field position for the chance that he does something special.

Do you think it is smart for the punt returner to catch it at the 6 yard line? I certainly don't.

Generally speaking, no.

When your team is down 26-10 near the end of the third quarter and has been struggling on offense all game? I don't have a problem with it.

But the offense had just scored the previous drive and by trying to return the punt inside the 10 put the offense in terrible field position. I see what DPE was trying to do, but it was still the wrong play.

This is a forest for the trees situation.

I'm pretty sure the number of clean returns DPE got this year can be counted on one hand.

That's coaching.

Riley is realizing that NU isn't Corvallis and there are actual expectations from the coaches.

Remains to be seen if this will be effective or if this is rearranging chairs on the titanic.

Even if it's just rearranging chairs, at least we know that Riley is trying to make changes to get the team in the best position to be successful.

Which is more than Bo ever did in 7 years. Riley has fired 2 guys in 2 years.

Which one actually tried patching the leak and which one said screw it and set the ship on fire?

the problem with that is MR knew what he had in his guys. And that isn't much

Big step for Mike Riley. I knew he had it in him.

I'm w/you Matty. The choir singing here that he'd never cut a friend was bs all season - gotta perform and there was little gray in what Read did this year (and last). Happy Mike is showing some stones, now wish the "fans" here would take that as an encouraging move.

And no teach, I don't think he does any of his hires or fires because he reads what the fans and what the press is saying.

So he is the ice man...he feels no heat!

Meh, I think Sam's just trying to be accurate, and part of his job as a reporter is to talk about players, good and bad. They do this regularly, only sometimes we'll nod in agreement, when we agree (i.e, Utter -- recent example. Or TA's passing, which we've dissected ad nauseam here.

Iowa was a total team failure from the top down. If we can accept that, it shouldn't be hard to accept that even our favorite players were doing plenty of careless things. Criticizing fielding a punt at the 6 is hardly outrageous. DPE had another one where he accidentally stepped out of bounds while fielding it. He hasn't gotten great help, sure, but he also hasn't fit his considerable reputation this year, either.

We're getting awful worked up over nothing, I think, but that's how we are as sports fans. We always need a villain. I'm certainly no less guilty of being peeved at some sportswriter or another when I felt they were too supportive of a coach I didn't like.

Generally speaking, no.

I'm pretty sure the number of clean returns DPE got this year can be counted on one hand.

That's coaching.

I'm not saying DPE didn't suffer from Read's ST coaching. I'm saying what the punt return he tried from his own 6 was a bad decision.

It doesn't matter now.

Which one actually tried patching the leak and which one said screw it and set the ship on fire?

Listen, I'm not big on Pelini but if you don't think Shawn Watson and Carl Pelini moving on weren't "highly encouraged" by Bo you are crazy.

"highly encouraged" meaning you're fired but I will give you a chance to save face.

Watson went because he wasn't Bo's yes man.

I'm pretty sure Carl taking a HC job had very little to do with Bo insisting he take it. lol

• Fire 1

Two words: Callahan and Cosgrove

• Fire 2

Generally speaking, no.

That's coaching.

Agreed. DPE is explosive as a PR. His freshman season, he returned a punt 86yds for a TD but under Read, his stats dropped. A lot. Granted he was injured his soph year, this years stats were a big disappointment considering what we know he's capable of

Listen, I'm not big on Pelini but if you don't think Shawn Watson and Carl Pelini moving on weren't "highly encouraged" by Bo you are crazy.

"highly encouraged" meaning you're fired but I will give you a chance to save face.

Watson went because he wasn't Bo's yes man.

I'm pretty sure Carl taking a HC job had very little to do with Bo insisting he take it. lol

Ummm, a certain booster and an illicit relationship Carl was having with his married daughter tell a different story.

Glad Read is gone. Having no punt return and really sh**ty special teams all around was a problem but I could deal with it. I couldn't deal with giving up 1st downs because you have too many guys on the field, not having enough guys on the field and all of those awful completely on the coach gaffs.