The Republican Utopia

How Republicans Are Trying to Rig Elections in Trump's America

North Carolina GOP up to their usual tricks.

A battle arriving on the Supreme Court’s doorstep in six weeks is already being waged in North Carolina’s Republican-held General Assembly.

The state was accused of using race as a critical component in drawing its legislative districting maps, and was forced to begin creating new ones in June after the Supreme Court agreed with a lower court ruling in 2011. But just before the Assembly's Friday deadline to submit new maps that don’t marginalize minority communities further, thus making their votes less essential in state elections, it's now being accused of using new tricks to essentially do the exact same thing.

Instead of focusing on a locale's racial demographics, Republican lawmakers in the region are seeking to use past election results, incumbency protection and municipal boundaries to hand the party the same election security the previous maps afforded it, NPR reported Wednesday.

The gerrymandering efforts once against became a point of contentious debate at public hearings last week.

Independent voters like 23-year-old Mitchell Cook claimed Republicans in North Carolina's General Assembly were attempting to maintain their power through their redistricting efforts, and that a nonpartisan committee was required to create new maps "so that the districts are truly representative of the voice and the views of the people."

That idea was swiftly rejected by Republican Senator Ralph Hise as "mythical," saying such a committee would be a unicorn.

The state’s Middle District Court found in August 2016 that 28 North Carolina legislative districts employed "racial gerrymanders in violation of the Equal Protection Clause." The decision was then appealed to the Supreme Court, which unanimously agreed in a written affirmation that "constitutionally adequate districts should be enacted as quickly as possible to protect the rights of North Carolina citizens."

Of course they're going to find new tricks. To the bolded, I guess he expects those of us that don't like this to just shut up about it and go on about our business because something something unicorn, eh?

Whitford v. Gill, the major gerrymandering case being heard this fall by the Supreme Court, can't get here soon enough.

• Plus1 1

Paul Ryan is greater parts Deceiver than Coward: 

“However well-intentioned, President Obama’s DACA program was a clear abuse of executive authority, an attempt to create law out of thin air,” Ryan said in a statement following the DACA announcement made by Attorney General Jeff Sessions Tuesday. “Congress writes laws, not the president, and ending this program fulfills a promise that President Trump made to restore the proper role of the executive and legislative branches.”

• Plus1 2

Well, I've had a few (albeit small) moment of encouragement this morning.  Twice already today, I've been around people who have been all the way from somewhat supportive to full blown Trump worshiper.  

a)  somewhat supporter listened to news report on the possible DACA decision.  She walked away mumbling under her breath how wrong and disgusting the decision to stop it would be.

b)  Full blown Trump worshipers discussing N. Korea and expressing how Trump is handling it wrong.

I'm going to take those moments and consider that it's already been a decent day.

FYI.....all of these people got really tired of my opinions of Trump so I just sat there and listened....happily.  

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, I've had a few (albeit small) moment of encouragement this morning.  Twice already today, I've been around people who have been all the way from somewhat supportive to full blown Trump worshiper.  

a)  somewhat supporter listened to news report on the possible DACA decision.  She walked away mumbling under her breath how wrong and disgusting the decision to stop it would be.

b)  Full blown Trump worshipers discussing N. Korea and expressing how Trump is handling it wrong.

I'm going to take those moments and consider that it's already been a decent day.

FYI.....all of these people got really tired of my opinions of Trump so I just sat there and listened....happily.  

BRB - did the Trump supporter say how he thought Trump should handle NK?    

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

BRB - did the Trump supporter say how he thought Trump should handle NK?    

Well, it was three guys.  The deepest of the Trump sheeples asked, "how do you feel about how Trump is handling NK"?  I perked my ears up to listen for the answer.

The other two expressed how idiotic it is to make threats you can't keep....and how it just makes things worse.

There were some comments about trying to negotiate or use humanitarian aid.

Well....isn't this a great Republican Utopia moment.

Here is a minister who has a very personal stake in this whole mess with his family.  He is speaking out against hatred and bigotry....what happens???  His church forces him to resign.

I have great respect for the minister.....certain members of his congregation.....not so much.

• Plus1 2

I mean, from any other administration this would be stunning, but for Trump's White House it's just another story.  But this is amazing:

Trump sides with Democrats in debt limit, funding, Harvey deal

Donald Trump, who casts himself as a master negotiator, took the first offer Democrats put on the table.

Republicans left the Oval Office Wednesday stunned. Trump had quickly sided with Democrats on a short-term debt ceiling increase, even overruling his own Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin to concur with "Chuck and Nancy," as he later called them on Air Force One.

But Trump defied more than his top aides. He turned on Republican leaders in Congress when he caved to Democrats’ demands to raise the debt limit and fund the government for three months, setting up a brutal year-end fiscal cliff. The move shocked everyone, as top White House officials and GOP leaders had been gearing up to raise the debt ceiling through the 2018 midterm election, looking to pass legislation as soon as Friday.

But even after Mnuchin, Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell pushed back on the Democratic demands in the meeting, Trump agreed to the three-month deal that will also head off the possibility of a government shutdown until mid-December.

During the meeting, Ryan sharply criticized the Democratic proposal, a source familiar with the exchange said. But Schumer reminded him that Ryan had supported short-term increases in the past intended to help create bipartisan deals in 2013.

So after Democrats rejected GOP proposals to raise the debt ceiling for 18 months, and then six months — Trump endorsed Schumer’s three-month pitch.

That means Congress will have to raise the debt ceiling, negotiate a massive trillion-dollar spending bill, and potentially hash out a deal on immigration all at once.