US Cost of Housing Comparison

I just saw that. (28% of Income) / 12 = monthly rent. Therefore the claim is that the following is 'needed' to pay rent in each city, rounding:

SF: $4200

NYC: $3800

Boston: $3200

LA: $2600

DC: $2400

Chicago: $2300

Seattle: $2000

Philly: $1560

Dallas: $1200

Phoenix: $960

I don't know -- "needed" is rather vague. It seems like a good way to blow the variation out of proportion (at both the top and the bottom). But maybe not.

I just saw that. (28% of Income) / 12 = monthly rent. Therefore the claim is that the following is 'needed' to pay rent in each city, rounding:

SF: $4200

NYC: $3800

Boston: $3200

LA: $2600

DC: $2400

Chicago: $2300

Seattle: $2000

Philly: $1560

Dallas: $1200

Phoenix: $960

I don't know -- "needed" is rather vague. It seems like a good way to blow the variation out of proportion (at both the top and the bottom). But maybe not.

I can confirm $4200 for San Fran area. My last company wanted me to move there, and I found another job instead. The prices and the traffic are insane.

I live in the North Tampa area, and prices are getting close to pre-crash numbers. We're not sure what we're doing long term, so we've been renting right for the past few years, and for our size home (2300sqft, 4 bed) prices have gone from about $1400 3 years ago, to $1900 or higher. Even a 2 bedroom apartment is no less than $1000 for anything that's not a dump.

This is why a blanket minimum wage or living wage law is either impossible or very vomplicated to implement.

I know people in central nebraska with much less income living in a nice 2-3 bedroom home.

$15 per hour might sound ok in Seattle but not for central Nebraska.

Unfortunately, the states have been terrible at implementing it themselves. With several states going as far as to ban higher minimum wages in their own cities. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.