HuskerNation1

Impact of Poor Performance on Recruiting

HuskerNation1    883

I'm curious to hear everyone's take on how our poor start to the season will impact recruiting.  For as good as Riley and his staff are at generating interest in the program, they are just the opposite when it comes to on the field performance.  Year 3 of a program is when a new coach should have put his stamp on the program, and the current stamp of this program is quite ugly.  No amount of talent can overcome a coaching staff that does not have the team prepared or know how to win games, and if I were a prospective player, unless I am sold on the Nebraska fans and its rich history, I might have second thoughts on allowing this staff to coach me.  I am interested to hear what others think.  

lo country    1,964

As a player, I'd look at the current scheme and how they are using "my position". For example, if I'm a CB, I look at how they are used.  If I'm a 4-5* kid who like someone to play aggressively, play press and simply get physical, I'm probably loooking elsewhere.  Same with RB. As a fan, I have seen nothing the past 3 years that says Riley truly wants to be a running team.  I'm looking elsewhere.  If I'm an OL and Cav is the coach?  Forget about it.

Then you might have a kid like Micah Parsons who sees the ability to be a starter from day one.  Little to no competition to be a DE or OLB.....

I really think it come a down to fit.  Right now, I see a whole host of needs, but a staff that seems incapable of fixing them.  I think it ultimately will hurt us.  I.e. Bookie IMHO.

Atbone95    1,150

This. This is the impact on recruitment. 

(If you don't follow recruitment much -- that's our stud RB recruit that is officially never coming here)

chamrocck    246

I think its a double edged sword.  It is a bad team right now but some of these kids have to be looking at this seeing major opportunities to play immediately.  So for Parsons and Bookie they are immediately playing as true freshman.  We have shown we'll play freshman.  

Xmas32    274
7 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I think its a double edged sword.  It is a bad team right now but some of these kids have to be looking at this seeing major opportunities to play immediately.  So for Parsons and Bookie they are immediately playing as true freshman.  We have shown we'll play freshman.  

This is a good point chamrocck and usually I would agree with you.  In the case of Bookie and Parsons though, those guys are most likely going to play regardless of where they go.  Just for the sake of argument, after watching Clemson absolutely manhandle UL last night, if I were a big time defensive recruit, it would be hard to tell that place 'no'.  Absolutely, these guys want to play early and often, you have to think they want to be able to sniff championships if we don't have another angle to pull them in like location, relative was an alumni, unbelievable NFL pipeline or something to that effect.

Huskers93-97    43

We lose games and there is question marks about being able to develop guys and see them get better. kids want to win, play and be developed to prep for the league. If all they cared about was playing on day 1 they could do that at any mediocre program 

Huskers93-97    43

Prime example of impact on recruiting we had some good talent in town for the game. They saw us lose, fans boo the team and I have not heard any news or buzz from those kids

killer cacti    383
9 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

This is a good point chamrocck and usually I would agree with you.  In the case of Bookie and Parsons though, those guys are most likely going to play regardless of where they go.  Just for the sake of argument, after watching Clemson absolutely manhandle UL last night, if I were a big time defensive recruit, it would be hard to tell that place 'no'.  Absolutely, these guys want to play early and often, you have to think they want to be able to sniff championships if we don't have another angle to pull them in like location, relative was an alumni, unbelievable NFL pipeline or something to that effect.

Early playing time still happens at CU. CU traveled 72 and played 70 to Louisville.

bugeater17    61
16 hours ago, killer cacti said:

Early playing time still happens at CU. CU traveled 72 and played 70 to Louisville.

Yup - Clemson playing their freshman back up QB is an example. That kid would of red-shirted at Nebraska. 

NM11046    1,809
On 9/17/2017 at 10:09 AM, Huskers93-97 said:

Prime example of impact on recruiting we had some good talent in town for the game. They saw us lose, fans boo the team and I have not heard any news or buzz from those kids

Then you haven't looked.  All the sites have stories published on kids that were there and had positive things to say.  

I wonder 93-97, and I don't want this to come across as snippy as it's going to, that's not the tone I'm intending - do you want them to have success in recruiting?  Seems like 90% of your posts are mostly how xyz recruit isn't coming for xyz reason.  Perhaps you're just a glass half empty guy?

spurs1990    561
7 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Then you haven't looked.  All the sites have stories published on kids that were there and had positive things to say.  

I wonder 93-97, and I don't want this to come across as snippy as it's going to, that's not the tone I'm intending - do you want them to have success in recruiting?  Seems like 90% of your posts are mostly how xyz recruit isn't coming for xyz reason.  Perhaps you're just a glass half empty guy?

In fact one said that we were his top school, another was listed as a commit watch by one of those published site authors, and another one we are seemingly sitting well with. To be fair, I can't say much to 93-97 because I was the first to say recruiting would take a big hit. It still could depending on these next games, but the recruits response was about as good as you could hope for coming out of this game.

killer cacti    383
44 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Yup - Clemson playing their freshman back up QB is an example. That kid would of red-shirted at Nebraska. 

Why? 

Dabo's thing is, he's good enough that he's not going to be here for 5 years, so why waste a year of his time?

NM11046    1,809
On 9/17/2017 at 10:09 AM, Huskers93-97 said:

Huskers93-97    43

Those articles came out after i made my post to be fair guys. You may see me as glass half empty- but I view it as I am not afraid to objectively look at a situation and say man that might hurt recruiting or that guy might second guess coming if what we are selling is not lining up with whats happening. I dont mean to be negative but I dont have my head stuck in the sand either. I just call it how i see it, if there is things to be positive about i am all about that. If there is negative things I am not afraid to acknowledge those things. I want the huskers to win every game and I would love it to keep all the recruits we have committed now and add more guys. 

I know some of you are very sensitive to what gets said on here because you think Riley and staff read this board. Or recruits. I could maybe see recruits but come on do you really think the staff cares about anything any of us have to say? Or recruits for that matter. I have yet to see a recruit say i am not going to nebraska because the guys on huskerboard.com have been hard on me. There is some good conversation on here at times- but lets be real. 

BigRedN    239
1 hour ago, spurs1990 said:

In fact one said that we were his top school, another was listed as a commit watch by one of those published site authors, and another one we are seemingly sitting well with. To be fair, I can't say much to 93-97 because I was the first to say recruiting would take a big hit. It still could depending on these next games, but the recruits response was about as good as you could hope for coming out of this game.

Well, well, well, at least I know now who to give credit for knowing that recruiting would take a hit.  :-)  I'll +1 your post as well.  :-)

spurs1990    561
25 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Well, well, well, at least I know now who to give credit for knowing that recruiting would take a hit.  :-)  I'll +1 your post as well.  :-)

Impressive to come off as egotistical when I'm admitting fault huh?

bugeater17    61
2 hours ago, killer cacti said:

Why? 

Dabo's thing is, he's good enough that he's not going to be here for 5 years, so why waste a year of his time?

I completely agree with the thought process is what I was saying. Get the kid experience because we won't be around for 5 years. 

NM11046    1,809
3 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Those articles came out after i made my post to be fair guys. You may see me as glass half empty- but I view it as I am not afraid to objectively look at a situation and say man that might hurt recruiting or that guy might second guess coming if what we are selling is not lining up with whats happening. I dont mean to be negative but I dont have my head stuck in the sand either. I just call it how i see it, if there is things to be positive about i am all about that. If there is negative things I am not afraid to acknowledge those things. I want the huskers to win every game and I would love it to keep all the recruits we have committed now and add more guys. 

I know some of you are very sensitive to what gets said on here because you think Riley and staff read this board. Or recruits. I could maybe see recruits but come on do you really think the staff cares about anything any of us have to say? Or recruits for that matter. I have yet to see a recruit say i am not going to nebraska because the guys on huskerboard.com have been hard on me. There is some good conversation on here at times- but lets be real. 

Fair enough - I didn't verify all that.  Just logged in this morning and saw everything at once.

I appreciate the objectivity - I thought a lot about my comment after I typed it, I mean who am I to question your view on recruiting?  Just feels a little "troll-y" (and I know you're not) when every post is negative about our potential folks.  But maybe your perspective on those who are shoe ins' is that you don't need to comment.  Maybe you're not interested in other stuff.  Anyway - admittedly I'm a glass is almost totally full gal to a fault  - and I hate that I cringe when I see your user name cuz I know it's going to be negative.  :-)  But that's on me.

And the whole staff/recruiting reading thing - I don't worry about that a ton, but I do think recruits come on, I would!  And they've been pretty vocal about how we're the most irritating fan base.  That's not all just based on twitter.

ladyhawke    350

I'm watching Big Red Wrap Up and Bookie was on via phone call. When asked if he was still coming to NU he said he didn't know but Shawn Callahan seems to think Bookie will end up here. We can only hope. 

Edit: I apologize for this post. I went back and listened to the show again and when Kugler asked if fans should be worried about Bookie showing up at NU he said, "Not at all."  

So I'm sorry for sharing the went information. Whew! So glad I was wrong. 

Edited by ladyhawke
Error in information

HuskermanMike    290

Well, you can look at it two ways.

1. Nebraska is awful and won't get it done. We will go 5-7 and might be searching for a new head coach. If its a hot up and comer coach some people might stay on board, but most will leave. New system might scare people away but a few are coming here because they love Nebraska not because they love the head coach.

2. Nebraska had a bad start but there is still 9 or 10 games left. Iowa got upset by NDSU last year and they came back to go 8-4 and beat a Michigan team that was in the top ten. They also snuck by a bad Rutgers team by 7 points, and they are next on our schedule. The point is we can still rebound. We could bounce back and go 8-4, win the bowl game and get some momentum in recruiting. Riley would be back and we would see how things go in 2018. 

Rike Miley    1,920
15 hours ago, ladyhawke said:

I'm watching Big Red Wrap Up and Bookie was on via phone call. When asked if he was still coming to NU he said he didn't know but Shawn Callahan seems to think Bookie will end up here. We can only hope. 

No, he never said that

ladyhawke    350
2 hours ago, Rike Miley said:

No, he never said that

Edit: I apologize for this post. I went back and listened to the show again and when Kugler asked if fans should be worried about Bookie showing up at NU he said, "Not at all."  

So I'm sorry for sharing the went information. Whew! So glad I was wrong. 

Edited by ladyhawke
Error on my part.

ladyhawke    350
2 hours ago, Rike Miley said:

No, he never said that

You are absolutely correct and I apologize for the error.  I went back and listened to the show again and when Kugler asked if fans should be worried about Bookie showing up at NU he said, "Not at all."  

So I'm sorry for sharing the went information. Whew! So glad I was wrong. Thank you for calling me on this Rike. I apologize for getting huffy in my earlier post. Please forgive.

spurs1990    561
2 hours ago, ladyhawke said:

You are absolutely correct and I apologize for the error.  I went back and listened to the show again and when Kugler asked if fans should be worried about Bookie showing up at NU he said, "Not at all."  

So I'm sorry for sharing the went information. Whew! So glad I was wrong. Thank you for calling me on this Rike. I apologize for getting huffy in my earlier post. Please forgive.

giphy.gif

Huskers93-97    43

Ohio st line just opened at 22.5, assuming that happens or probably worse what's thoughts on how rest of season plays out and how that impacts recruiting, coaching change possibilities? 

HuskerNation1    883
45 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Ohio st line just opened at 22.5, assuming that happens or probably worse what's thoughts on how rest of season plays out and how that impacts recruiting, coaching change possibilities? 

Well I think that, unless Riley pulls a miracle and beats one of the big dogs (OSU or PSU) AND wins all other games to finish 8-4, he is done. Recruits who would only come because of him or his staff will look elsewhere.  Those who like everything else Nebraska football has to offer will see who the new staff is and go from there.  If there will be a coaching change, its imperative to get it done by late November or early December to maximize the time the new coach has with the 2018 recruiting class

BigRedN    239

^^^^ It will be interesting how it works out of Frost is an option ... as with the way his season is going he might not be available until Jan 1st or so.

Mavric    9,128
1 hour ago, BigRedN said:

^^^^ It will be interesting how it works out of Frost is an option ... as with the way his season is going he might not be available until Jan 1st or so.

Unless he's in the playoffs, coaches leave before bowl games regularly.

BigRedBuster    7,292

It would be interesting to know what a coaching staff like Nebraska's tells top recruits when they are in the situation they are in right now.

I believe that Riley is professional enough that he would be talking about how great Nebraska is and how he would love to coach the recruit....but....if he isn't here, Nebraska is still a great place for the kid.

But...it has to be a difficult discussion at this point in the season.

And.....there possibly is a difference between how Riley would approach it since he probably would be retired and not coach somewhere else after Nebraska compared to a younger coach that will be snatched up by another program and will need to be recruiting players to his new home.

huskerfan69    18

i think frost could do damage control if hired. he's a player's coach, and he could probably find some under the radar guys in florida to fill out the class.

HuskerNation1    883

Here is one article discussing the coaching situation and impact on recruiting.  I completely disagree with the sentiment that we should hang onto a coach if we have a mediocre season because of the current recruiting class.  As has been pointed out a lot this past week, our average team recruiting ranking over the past 5 years is about 10 spots higher than Wisconsin's, yet our on the field performance is far worse.  Thus, that is a not a talent issue but a coaching issue that cannot be easily remedied with a person that has been mediocre his whole career.  Moreover, if we kept D Williams, Parella, and K Williams, that might help save some of the key recruits we are hoping to have ASSUMING the new head coach is a top choice.  I know this is a lot of speculation when only have the season is over, but this assuming we win fewer than 8 games this year.

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-football-mailbag-happens-2018-recruiting-class-mike-riley-fired

I agree that we should keep him unless its a dumpster fire, bit that’s because you’d be throwing a new coach into a tougher schedule next year. And I don’t see a new AD wanting to start off a tenure on that foot. I also disagree with the sentiments to keep him because of potential of keeping a recruiting class together. Dumb. 

And Nebraska needing to do “whatever it can” to keep a few of the assistants... Are you kidding me? This HC job isn’t exactly that desirable anymore. And to be told you have to keep some coaches you don’t know, and frankly, aren’t leading stellar units? That’ll land us a top notch coach.

Huskers93-97    43

I was listening to 1620 the zone yesterday and Damon Benning was talking about something I found interesting. He mentioned we need a "saturday" coach. Guys who are coaching the kids when they come to the sideline and making adjustments. This regime and the prior with pelini it seemed like it was the same excuses after games- "oh i am encouraged, we just have some execution to clean up". Why is it the last 2 regimes it has been fundamentals plaguing why we lose. Lack of discipline and fundamentals falls solely on coaches to have the guys game ready- then be able to adjust in game. The last 2 regimes it seems if something is working it works all game against our defense.

HuskerNation1    883
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I don't know how coaches sell the vision after this game 

They can't sell it with a straight face.  Why should a recruit believe in Riley or his staff after years of mediocrity?  If I were a recruit and was interested in Nebraska because of the program, facilities, and fans, and not necessarily because of a particular coach, I would be hoping for a new coach.