Option

jbjake

9 minutes ago, neepster said:

If Frost comes here, isn't the offense he runs a version of the spread offense?  Lots of option in many spread offenses.

Heck Urban Meyer had a lot of option in his spread originally.  I was in Gainesville watching some of his first games with Chris Leak and he was running some option with Leak (and Leak could throw the ball like it was on a rope).

I'd be good with some spread + option...

I don't know if 265 rushing yards per game is option heavy, but that is what the 2014 Ohio State team did with a lot of zone read.  What is option heavy? Were TO's offenses considered option heavy. In 1997, the Huskers probably only averaged 10 option plays per game. The key is a run first offense with enough option and mis-direction to spread out the D.

2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Have we found a suitable NFL caliber QB in 13 years? Nope. But we've had Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong, even Joe Ganz. They could all run the flex if coached to do so. Somehow these other option schools find a kid to take snaps, I'm sure we could, too.

all two of them?

8 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I don't believe the fans have any influence on what type of type of offense or  defense the HC installs.

In regards to Diaco's defense I saw quite a few people wondering if we had the front seven to adequately run this 3-4 defense while I was lurking. And now we're surprised the defense is struggling? 

I don't know about that.  Callahan's west coast offense was whole heartedly and enthusiastically greeted by almost every Husker fan.  Were you at that spring game when the first play from scrimmage was a pass play?  The entire stadium erupted into flames of happiness.  

10 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I don't believe the fans have any influence on what type of type of offense or  defense the HC installs.

In regards to Diaco's defense I saw quite a few people wondering if we had the front seven to adequately run this 3-4 defense while I was lurking. And now we're surprised the defense is struggling? 

If the admin tells them what is expected and they already know from experience , it shouldn't be a problem.

Those people said nothing about playing ten yards off the receiver or running the D like a peewee league team.

It sounds to me like you're still defending this crap, so this is where we agree to disagree. If they show it on the field then maybe I'll change my mind, until then no more talk or excuses.

3 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I don't know about that.  Callahan's west coast offense was whole heartedly and enthusiastically greeted by almost every Husker fan.  Were you at that spring game when the first play from scrimmage was a pass play?  The entire stadium erupted into flames of happiness.  

I didn't like the Callahan pick at all, despised the West coast "offense" from the first snap to the last. Death knell for our program. (I know solich's problems, don't need to rehash that.)

• Plus1 1

And understood the culture of NU.  Maybe even won a national championship.  A guy who maybe learned under offensive gurus like Chip Kelly or that TO  guy.  A power run game with two back sets....some counters, traps and draws with spread elements....and a dual threat QB to run it....

Like TO said, you see the option style O maybe once a season...You start to prepare Mon-Thurs.  Maybe 4 days tops.  Hard to stop.  The brilliance was TO was running a lot of power and maybe 20-30% option.....I'm an old school purist. I'd I've to see that be our identity again. Just a physical, smash mouth team.  Modernize into the 21st century and throw in the spread elements..

Amen.  Now that's what I'm talking about.  Power football with 20/30% option.  A mobile QB that can throw it and mix in play-action passes.  I'm tired of watching 3rd down and 2 and we can't power run for the 1st down.  I like coach MR as a person and think he has a lot to clean up the post-Pelini PR nightmare, but I don't see him or DL's offense leading the Huskers to relevance.  The team looks soft. 

11 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

A reminder of people talking about how we may or may not have had the front 7 to run this defense is defending this crap? I'm assuming you view this as an excuse also...

Then you don't run it; end of discussion. There is no more time for this staff to experiment, time for them to show what they've got.

And another thing, everybody keeps talking about the offense on thread after thread, have you seen the defense lately?

Like knapplc was suggesting with the 'Devaney won the MNC with a pro style offense' ,.....I don't really car what they run, just run it right and look like you have a clue. As it is now it looks like somebody is paying them to throw the game.