***Nebraska Athletic Director Search Megathread***

Enhance

3 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

Why is that a lol?  If he was telling prospective coaches that he wanted them to keep the offensive staff as was rumored, you think someone like Nick Saban would've given him the time of day?

Well if he opened with that or tried to force that on an experienced head coach, then again, TO didn't do a good job.

10 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Well if he opened with that or tried to force that on an experienced head coach, then again, TO didn't do a good job.

If only he'd had your number on speed dial.

I trust TO.  He knew a lot of his success was due to continuity of coaching staff.  If what he saw was that the best route was to find a coach willing to keep the O intact, then I say that makes Bo an even better choice.  

And guess what?  It worked pretty good, going from 5-7 to 9-4 first season.  The continuing transitions to a new offense, a new conference and a new AD kind of threw a wrench into things.

2 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

If only he'd had your number on speed dial.

I trust TO.  He knew a lot of his success was due to continuity of coaching staff.  If what he saw was that the best route was to find a coach willing to keep the O intact, then I say that makes Bo an even better choice.  

And guess what?  It worked pretty good, going from 5-7 to 9-4 first season.  The continuing transitions to a new offense, a new conference and a new AD kind of threw a wrench into things.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

• Plus1 3

36 minutes ago, Red_Payne said:

The blowouts and/or on-field meltdowns were starting to wear on a lot of fans... the leaked audio didn't help matters...

but I think you are right; especially considering who we hired.

Had we known that Bo would be replaced by a relatively unknown, .500 coach; only the biggest of detractors would have went along with the firing/hiring. imho.

Personally, I didn't mind the firing; but I certainly would have rather retained Bo than hired MR (and I'm not just speaking from hindsight, I felt that way minutes after I read MR was hired & looked up his coaching history on wikipedia).

Even looking back now I don't think I could have been less enthusiastic about a Husker season than I would have been if Bo had returned for 2015.  It just felt like scorched earth at that point.

Riley was unknown to me, but reading up on him I learned he had an outstanding reputation in the coaching community. Some smart people thought it was a pretty smart hire. So knowing it was Riley, I didn't suddenly think firing Bo was a mistake. I still don't miss the man.

The thing that has bummed me out the most about Riley is the same thing that bummed me out about Bo: his teams seem to lack both the fire and the fundamentals on both sides of the ball. Still can't tell if the talent is/was there for either coach. 

Funny thing, when I look up potential new coaches on Wikipedia, most of them come with blemishes we supposedly shouldn't accept.

• Plus1 1

Jeff Long as AD wouldn't totally shock me.  TO would've gotten the chance to work with Long when they were both on the College Football Playoff committee.  If Osborne gives a favorable recommendation, who knows?  I do like that Long has hired 2 football coaches and showed some strong moxie with the Petrino scandal.  That was probably a bit of a tough call given the level of success Petrino had Arkansas at.  Long also hired Mike Anderson from Mizzou to coach MBB and that's worked out pretty well.

3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think the criticism of TO for this hire is that the only other 2 people that were interviewed was Jim Grobe and Turner Gill.

Osborne didn't really try too hard to get the best coach for the program

IIRC he also talked to Brian Kelly, but that didn't become public knowledge until a while after Bo was hired.

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Who told TO to hire Bo? 

Obviously Perlman was a huge fan of Bo and forced Osborne to hire him! :LOLtartar

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

Jeff Long as AD wouldn't totally shock me.  TO would've gotten the chance to work with Long when they were both on the College Football Playoff committee.  If Osborne gives a favorable recommendation, who knows?

This is an interesting point. I don't know how much say, if any, Osborne has in hiring a new AD. It may be a lot or none, I have no idea. If Nebraska was interested in Jeff Long though, Osborne would have better insight through the playoff committee than almost anyone else.

Let me throw this out there.

Right or wrong, the AD's job is tied to the success of the coach he hires to replace Riley.  (yes, I believe Riley is gone after this year).

There also is a chance that the donors and administration have pegged Frost as the coach they want to go hire and are already working to get the money together to go hire him.

How many top ADs are going to be comfortable coming into a job where the one decision that his job security is based on is already decided for him?

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Let me throw this out there.

Right or wrong, the AD's job is tied to the success of the coach he hires to replace Riley.  (yes, I believe Riley is gone after this year).

There also is a chance that the donors and administration have pegged Frost as the coach they want to go hire and are already working to get the money together to go hire him.

How many top ADs are going to be comfortable coming into a job where the one decision that his job security is based on is already decided for him?

That’s true, we should just go ahead and get Jennings or one of the assistant AD’s already on staff.

Not sure why they think they have to wander the country looking for some stranger? We’re already set for reading material and ideas for misfit coaches.