AP: Eating Better in the Power 5

Mavric

26 minutes ago, husker98 said:

Disappointed to see none of that money is being spent at runzas or taco bell. 

No wonder we aren't winning games.

Top 5 post this week! 

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

It seems to be more the combination of bellies and tiny arms. But it's not normal to see huge bulging bicep muscles when arms are hanging at the sides. Here's a photo of the Alabama offensive line:

ala-ol---1022jpg-0d1157e45a9ba73f_large.

This is more to do with our OL being bad, and people looking for reasons why it's bad. Maybe the workouts can improve, but I think it's more to do with coaching

Image result for oregon offensive line

I think we will see a more lean and athletic o-line. 

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Mavric said:

Akron will spend less than $100,000 on athlete nutrition, most of that for feeding athletes when campus dining services are closed. No one is there to monitor their food choices, though men's basketball players occasionally consult with a nutritionist who is the wife of the team physician and volunteers her time.

11499150-large.jpg

Looks to me like Akron is spending plenty on HC Terry Bowden's meals.  :dunno

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It seems to be more the combination of bellies and tiny arms. But it's not normal to see huge bulging bicep muscles when arms are hanging at the sides. Here's a photo of the Alabama offensive line:

ala-ol---1022jpg-0d1157e45a9ba73f_large.

This is more to do with our OL being bad, and people looking for reasons why it's bad. Maybe the workouts can improve, but I think it's more to do with coaching

#73 has a belly to arm ratio of about 3:1  Nick Gates has a ratio of about 6:1 

I will go with the Alabama player - even thou i'm a huge NU fan.....

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Considering there are about 140 just on the football team - and that's not including all the support staff which I would guess are also largely fed out of the same dollar figure - I'd bet it's well above 400.

Support staff is being paid on top of that investment so it would technically be an additional investment if we include them.   If the football team has 140 players eating at the training table,  I can't see volleyball, baseball, softball,  w and m basketball doubling that.    

I'm ok with it because our AD can afford it but no matter how you look at it this is a crazy amount of money to be spending on food. 

12 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

So the thing about the training table is all students can eat there and probably members of the public as well, you just have to register.  I recently graduated from UNL and I ate at the training table.  It's considered a restaurant and because it would technically be discrimination for them to only offer to specific people so, the must by law make it open to everyone.  So I assume that that budget accounts for all of the people that eat there.

Not true in th 70s - The training table was in Neihardt and I happened one day to eat there instead of Abel. I noticed that some people were going back for seconds so little old 135 pound me went back and got YELLED at by nazi cafeteria lady.

Side note: the East Campus union just opened and everyone wanted to eat there because the food was so much better (imagine that).  They had to put a once a week limit on dining there

26 minutes ago, huKSer said:

Not true in th 70s - The training table was in Neihardt and I happened one day to eat there instead of Abel. I noticed that some people were going back for seconds so little old 135 pound me went back and got YELLED at by nazi cafeteria lady.

Side note: the East Campus union just opened and everyone wanted to eat there because the food was so much better (imagine that).  They had to put a once a week limit on dining there

woah.. we might have crossed paths..   I was in Abel when East Campus did that, my roomie went often.  He was a pitcher for the baseball team until he got injured (from an incident in a stairwell which I never got the details of)

The difference is that in those 70s and 80s teams, they could eat whatever they wanted as long as they maintained their weight level and followed the prescriptions for the proper steroid and other 'supplements' they need.   Dave Rimington was 6'2' 295 (not 250) and was built like a barrel but was NOT 'fat'.   These guys look like they spend about 45 minutes a week working out in the weight room and the rest of the time playing video games and eating.  

You can see they are NOT in good shape, let alone great shape.   The team often was simply worn out.  Heck I recall the annoucers talking about the players being worn down in the mid third quarter in Sept when the temp was only 82 or it was a night game.  No excuse for being unable to play a full game that early in the season when the injuries and fatigue have taken a season long toll.  We also used to hear about the BMI (fat % etc.).   Some of these guys look like average Joes off the street and I've seen construction workers and cowboys and auto mechanics in just as good conditiion as some of our players.   Not all - mind you - as some of our team members are in pretty good shape and look the part but it is NOT team wide.   This needs to change.  No effort and work - no play.  

Edited by 84HuskerLaw
23 hours ago, GamingGlen said:

woah.. we might have crossed paths..   I was in Abel when East Campus did that, my roomie went often.  He was a pitcher for the baseball team until he got injured (from an incident in a stairwell which I never got the details of)

He probably slipped on vomit 

On 12/22/2017 at 10:49 PM, huKSer said:

The training table is open to the public for lunch but only student athletes can have dinner there.   Any non-student athlete has to pay for their meals there just like they would anywhere else.