Bracketology

Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?

• Yes
    • No, and no postseason tournament
    • No, but makes NIT

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/11/2018 at 11:17 PM

A few reactions to this whole ordeal; take these individually in a vacuum:  

- Beating Kansas would not have gotten Nebraska in the tournament. 

- Beating Illinois and PSU on the road would not have gotten Nebraska in the tournament. 

- Beating St. John's and UCF would not have gotten Nebraska in the tournament. 

Nebraska got left out for a few fundamental reasons: their non-con schedule was a joke, and their Big Ten conference schedule was not strong enough to merit letting 13 wins in-conference getting in the tournament. 

In essence, blame Shawn Eichost for the non-con, and the conference for main meat of the schedule. Not getting OSU, MSU, Michigan or Purdue twice in the regular season was killer. 

• Plus1 1

The criteria for getting in the dance is a crap shoot from year to year.  For a long time being in the top 4 or 5 in conference with 20+ wins would get you in.  There was no incentive to schedule good non Power 5 teams because it wouldn't help you if you won and could really hurt your chances if you lost.  Even now, who wants to schedule Middle Tenn St?  They are a team that can beat most teams on a given night, they go 27-4, have one bad game in the conference tournament and they're on the outside looking in.  The committee now says early good wins count as much as season ending wins which lets a punk team like Oklahoma in.  To be fair I wasn't expecting us to get in the dance but to be pushed down to a 5 seed in the NIT was puzzling.  

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

Haven't listened yet. 

Does he say "I was obviously full of s#!^ all week when I was saying we were in"?

In all fairness, if you were the coach of a team, wouldn't you try to talk your team up a little bit?

He's not going to say "I just don't think we're very good.  I hope they'll let us in the NIT even though I'm not a good coach and my players suck."

I don't blame him one bit for trying to be positive and push his team.

1 hour ago, HS_Coach_C said:

In all fairness, if you were the coach of a team, wouldn't you try to talk your team up a little bit?

He's not going to say "I just don't think we're very good.  I hope they'll let us in the NIT even though I'm not a good coach and my players suck."

I don't blame him one bit for trying to be positive and push his team.

There is a difference between being positive and promoting you team compared to saying things like "I know this: we're in."

I wasnt surprised or even that mad we didnt make the tournament. I think we were worthy of a spot but our numbers said differently. 

What does piss me off is the NIT tournament. I honestly think it is a joke that the B1G Ten was considered THAT bad. 5 seed for Nebraska is a joke but also a 4 seed for Penn State is a joke.

This boils down to RPI/KenPom numbers and that is sad. Oklahoma has been playing some of the worst basketball in all the land and they get in? I get not focusing only on the last 10 games but teams have figured them out. My frustration isnt even on Nebraska not getting in, it is on teams like Middle Tennessee State or Saint Marys or hell, I even think USC and Notre Dame deserved spots before Oklahoma and ASU.

I think the hate towards Ras is silly. I dont think he had it out for us at all. He came and saw a lot of our games, I am just bummed he wasn't able to fight for us with the eye-test.

This whole thing is a bummer, but I sure hope that Nebraska learns something from this. Get mad and use that to prove a point next year. Dont need to schedule a bunch of dominate teams but you should be able to get a few mi-majors like Mid Tennessee State to come to Lincoln so we can both bump our RPI.

Now lets shove it up the NIT and win the whole damn thing.

46 minutes ago, Mavric said:

There is a difference between being positive and promoting you team compared to saying things like "I know this: we're in."

It felt like a ploy all week. Miles knew we were out and he was trying to talk big to trick people in to thinking it.

He wasnt the only one. I think Miles called in some favors because plenty of "basketball" guys were saying the same thing. 

this is the first year they went analytics heavy in determining the field. part of the problem with that is teams at the beginning of the year are shuffling parts around to find the best possible combinations. these teams are often better at the end of the year than the beginning but they took a loss that would most likely be a win towards the end of the year. or you get a team like OU who has a freshman phenom who teams at the start of the year dont have a full scouting report on so OU wins a few games they probably wouldnt be winning later on. injuries and suspensions throw things off even more. you beat a team missing a star player and now your numbers get inflated due to that team you beat being better with the star player back. they went from a flawed system to one that just seems flat out broke to determine the field.

and that isnt a comment advocating NU being in the tourney.

Long time lurker.  First time posting.

I think if they continue with the quadrant system and they are using that we might as well schedule every blue blood program in the country non conference and see how it shakes out because clearly if the conference is down that gets held against you as well.  There were other teams that if I was a fan of I would be more upset than I am right now with Nebraska not making it.

2 minutes ago, MileHighHusker said:

Higher seed plays at home regardless right? So there's still a chance at a home game if we can win one or two on the road and some teams in our bracket get upset?

yes thats correct. We could wind up with a home game vs NKU or Vermont in the Quarters. Wagner potentially in the next round. Semifinals and Finals are at MSG

Edited by seaofred92

46 minutes ago, RavHuskr said:

Long time lurker.  First time posting.

I think if they continue with the quadrant system and they are using that we might as well schedule every blue blood program in the country non conference and see how it shakes out because clearly if the conference is down that gets held against you as well.  There were other teams that if I was a fan of I would be more upset than I am right now with Nebraska not making it.

My big issue with it is also how it can over inflate how good a conference is. SEC and B12 racked up some Q1 wins by simply beating one another.

I get not being too focused on a teams last 10 games, but anyone with an eyeball could see Oklahoma wasnt very good. I think ND has an argument because there best player was out, but that being said all teams have injuries. I hate that the committee is going to focus solely on the numbers because I think numbers can be flawed... A big part fo the fun was the mid-majors wearing Cinderellas slipper... They are taking that away. a 12 over a 5 loses something if it is a SEC over an ACC team. 

I can get over them not picking Nebraska. It was probably the right call but some teams that got left out just seem like crap to me. 

Man what a gut punch yesterday was. I get that maybe Nebraska didn't do enough to get in, but seriously a 5 seed in the NIT? The media and the powers that be must really hate Nebraska basketball. Oklahoma and Texas getting in is a huge joke and really makes it appear that the tourney is turning into a popularity contest. If Oklahoma doesn't have Trae Young and ESPN being so obsessed with them, they probably don't even make the NIT. Kind of hard to take them seriously when it has turned into a popularity contest.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, pearljammer said:

Man what a gut punch yesterday was. I get that maybe Nebraska didn't do enough to get in, but seriously a 5 seed in the NIT? The media and the powers that be must really hate Nebraska basketball. Oklahoma and Texas getting in is a huge joke and really makes it appear that the tourney is turning into a popularity contest. If Oklahoma doesn't have Trae Young and ESPN being so obsessed with them, they probably don't even make the NIT. Kind of hard to take them seriously when it has turned into a popularity contest.

Oklahoma has 6 top 50 wins including 5 against the top 25 in RPI. It sucks they're still in- I didn't want them to make it because I don't think they're one of the best 68 teams- but you can't argue with the logic behind why they're in. 

• Plus1 1