B1G Returning to Eight Conference Games per Year?

Reading more of Moos’ quotes, I think it’s possible that they are talking about not stack the top team’s schedule against each other so much instead of going back to eight games.  

Instead of Nebraska playing Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Michigan State so much, we’d have Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana mixed in more often.

I’m not sure.  But I think either is possible based on what Moos said.

If we go back to 4 OOC games it just means scheduling another patsy Sun Belt team, or even scheduling FCS teams again.  I'm not exactly in favor of that.  Yet, the SEC plays 8 conference games and schedules an FCS team before rivalry week so maybe it is the best move.

• Plus1 3

I'm in favor of whatever puts Nebraska in the best possible position for postseason glory.  CFB has been collectively complaining about the SEC having only 8 conference games for a while, if the SEC is unwilling to go to 9 games, I see no issue with the Big Ten matching them.

• Plus1 3
33 minutes ago, Redux said:

If we go back to 4 OOC games it just means scheduling another patsy Sun Belt team, or even scheduling FCS teams again.  I'm not exactly in favor of that.  Yet, the SEC plays 8 conference games and schedules an FCS team before rivalry week so maybe it is the best move.

Another way SEC mitigate risk is by having so many OOC within a relatively close proximity. Alabama may play someone like Wisconsin or USC, but they're doing it in Arlington, Texas. They don't play true road games, no home/home splits.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, brophog said:

Another way SEC mitigate risk is by having so many OOC within a relatively close proximity. Alabama may play someone like Wisconsin or USC, but they're doing it in Arlington, Texas. They don't play true road games, no home/home splits.

This.  The last time Bama played a true road game OOC was 2011!!  They went to State College and beat Penn State.

8 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Hope so...

Would be the perfect time to add Oklahoma and Kansas and create the 4 - 4 team pods.

Play your pod and the pod designated as your half of the conference every year and rotate through the other pods +1 each year.

I think you're reading WAY more into Moos' statement than is there. You're talking about a significant conference realignment. All he said was some scheduling news for 2022 and beyond.

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

Reading more of Moos’ quotes, I think it’s possible that they are talking about not stack the top team’s schedule against each other so much instead of going back to eight games.  

Instead of Nebraska playing Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Michigan State so much, we’d have Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana mixed in more often.

I’m not sure.  But I think either is possible based on what Moos said.

This is how I read it. Personally I'd like to see balanced schedules instead of playing the best teams from the East 3 or 4 times more often than the worst teams from the East.

1 minute ago, HS_Coach_C said:

This is how I read it. Personally I'd like to see balanced schedules instead of playing the best teams from the East 3 or 4 times more often than the worst teams from the East.

Ya, it doesn't make any sense. Maybe the thought was it would bring in more money to have more marquee match ups, but it reduces the good bowls these teams get into at the end of the season, so I think it's actually worse for the conference.

8 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I think you're reading WAY more into Moos' statement than is there. You're talking about a significant conference realignment. All he said was some scheduling news for 2022 and beyond.

I don't think he was saying Moos was suggesting this, just that it would be a good idea

• Plus1 1

The thing I miss the most about the Big XII is the balanced scheduling every year.  Even though it was a bummer we missed out on a yearly OU game, we had a balanced slate of games.  Trading Texas, A&M and Okie State for OU, Baylor and Texas Tech never felt like a daunting task and every year it felt like a strong and balanced schedule but one that we could navigate.