B1G Anonymous Comments from Coaches

That time of year - anonymous coach comments from Athlon

some samples

"I read somewhere this winter that Nebraska hasn’t won a conference title since 1999. Think about that. The game has changed so much, and Nebraska hasn’t changed with it."

"That’s why I think Scott Frost will have success there that everyone post-Tom (Osborne) hasn’t had: He knows that program, and he is part of the new breed of college football. He’s going to run that wide-open Oregon offense, and he’s going to recruit his tail off. If it doesn’t happen this time around with Frost, I don’t know when it ever will again."

• Plus1 3

If it doesn’t happen this time around with Frost, I don’t know when it ever will again.

Tom Osborne served as the Cornhuskers Head Coach for 25 years. Scott Frost is 43, meaning if he coached that long he would be 68 when he retired as Nebraska's Head Coach.

Frankly, I think a lot of Cornhusker fans agree with the above quote and would be quite content to keep Scott Frost in that seat through the 2043/2044 season.

• Plus1 2
36 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

The game has changed so much, and Nebraska hasn’t changed with it.

This is why you have to take these comments with a grain of salt.

Nebraska has changed A LOT since 1999. Bill Byrne left, Steve Pederson came, Osborne became the AD, then Shawn Eichorst, and finally Bill Moos. That's a new AD every four years, on average.

For coaches, you've got Solich, Callahan, Pelini, Riley and now Frost. A new coach every five years, on average.

I can't even remember all the Offensive & Defensive Coordinators and all their systems.  Shawn Watson, Tim Beck, Jay Norvell. I am blanking on Riley's OC.  Defensive Coordinators were Pelini, McBride for a while, Diaco, Banker... other guys... and now Chinander.  Each Head Coach, OC & DC brought different nuances to Nebraska, just like each AD.

So... you can't just say "Nebraska hasn't changed."  We have. Maybe not the right changes, but can't/won't change isn't our problem.

• Plus1 7
15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is why you have to take these comments with a grain of salt.

Exactly. The problem is the opposite of what this coach is saying. We've changed too much. If we hadn't changed at all, we would've won more games. Not saying that's what we should have done (we should have kept to our strong suits and adapted), but a lot of our changes were terrible.

He even specifically mentions the "wide-open Oregon offense." Uh, we tried that. Pretty sure Beck tried to emulate it with Martinez. And the fact Pelini interviewed Frost kinda proves it's what they were going for, imo. But now we have someone who understands it.

It's a little irritating to hear this because never changing is what people would dog Osborne for, and he proved them wrong in the end (well, kinda - he did get a faster defense).

• Plus1 1

Aside from the Nebraska comments, someone went in dry on Illinois. 

"Are we really that surprised that Illinois has been absolutely atrocious, and has won five games in the last two years?"

"I’m not buying the idea that Illinois gave up early in the season and started playing a bunch of freshmen, and that’s why it got so ugly. So that’s why there were so many coaching changes in the offseason? I think this was a lot tougher of a job than Lovie first realized. The guy before him left a mess, and digging out of that was going to take more than just a year of transition. I’d be shocked if they won more than three games this fall."

"They don’t have a quarterback, they are terrible on defense and they are one of the worst teams we’ve played in the last six or seven years. At one point last year, I remember watching film on them and thinking this team looks completely disinterested."

• Plus1 3

48 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Aside from the Nebraska comments, someone went in dry on Illinois. 

"Why don't you tell us what you really think of Lovie and Illinois".  Wow, it was definitely brutal.

Wonder who said this about Frost

"I like the rah-rah attitude from the first day he got there. But the reality is they’re not that good on the offensive and defensive lines, and that’s going to be a critical problem this season.

Regarding that coach's comments about our OL and DL...

Nebraska is much better than what was shown last season.  Last season was just a bad combination of piss poor coaching, zero development, no emphasis on strength and conditioning, and too many players that either half-a**ed it or just gave up.

I expect no such issues going forward and NU's O and D lines will be better, in my opinion, than many people think.

• Plus1 3