** 2023 Opponent Preview : Minnesota (Game 1) **

25 minutes ago, McGuillotine said:

Still weird man, its like you have a bone to pick with the actual kicker.

Weird take.

As previously stated, I think he'll be good to great by season's end -- just don't think it's wise to start him in Game# 1, a Big Ten West game, against a team we should be able to beat in a very low scoring contest.

10 minutes ago, HuskerX said:

Weird take.

As previously stated, I think he'll be good to great by season's end -- just don't think it's wise to start him in Game# 1, a Big Ten West game, against a team we should be able to beat in a very low scoring contest.

If Alvano is the best kicker on the team (which he proved through training camp) why wouldn't you start him?  Just because he's a true freshman?  Bleekrode could be just as nervous as a kicker.  Play the best players period!

• TBH 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

If he's the best kicker on the team (which he proved through training camp) why wouldn't you start him?  Just because he's a true freshman?  Bleekrode could be just as nervous as a kicker.  Play the best players period!

Wrong. Even the most skilled Freshmen should rarely start, or be put into tough mental game time situations until at least halfway through a season.

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, HuskerX said:

Wrong. Even the most skilled Freshmen should rarely start, or be put into tough mental game time situations until at least halfway through a season.

They should rarely start due to upperclassmen being better.  And, upperclassmen SHOULD be better due to more time in the program and experience.  However, sometimes that isn't the case for whatever reason.

Do I wish Alvano had more experience coming into this game?  Yes.  Do I wish his first game was at home?  Yes.

But, that doesn't mean it's a mistake to play him.  

I do hope that his first kick is early in the game and not late with the game on the line and the home crowd going crazy.  But, I trust Rhule in this decision.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HuskerX said:

I’m seriously concerned with our kicking game / starting a freshman. Tonight this could matter GREATLY. I hope he’s ready for the spotlight.

Kid nailed a 50 yarder to win a state title last year; he's going to be just fine. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 4
13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It looks like it currently is fairly windy in Minnesota.  I wish the backup kicker was kicking tonight since I don't think the freshman kicker can handle the wind.

4 years of university level "wind handling" is better than none.  May let him stick his head out the window on the bus ride to the stadium to simulate.

• Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

It looks like it currently is fairly windy in Minnesota.  I wish the backup kicker was kicking tonight since I don't think the freshman kicker can handle the wind.

I sure hope Rhule was smart enough to send their kickers outside with wind machines blowing, because in the very first practice of fall camp the kickers were only practicing inside!

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1