** 2023 Opponent Preview : Minnesota (Game 1) **

I think some people will be surprised by the improvement in talent (athleticism mostly) of this team from even last year.   I am confident that Neb is much more athletic than most of our opponents on the schedule.  Speed and agility will be noticeably better in the eye test.  

But, football is more than just being more athletic.  Scheme and execution using that athleticism is the way winning teams separate themselves and win games. The latter part takes time (coaching fundamentals and repetitions in practice) and game experience.  
Minny has the definite edge in the latter at this point in time.  I’d feel better if Rhule had about two more weeks (10 more full pads practices and 4 full scrimmages)  with full roster participation to close the gap and let the athleticism advantage have more effect.  

I do think it would make a difference if Husker fans and media pundits had some first hand observations instead of relying on old film and wild speculation therefrom.  Sadly we don’t have that luxury.  By game three the team will be rounding into something closer to what Rhule & Co have in mind.  

The one thing I take from reports so far is the team is really focused and working very hard.  I think based of reports and limited video is this team is much more physically fit and looks to be in good football shape.  I bet body fat comp% is much better, for example.  Team speed is better.  

Mentally, the team gets a fresh start so, hopefully, past performance is NOT a good indicator of future success.  There should be less ‘hangover’ effect from the past regime.  New schemes, new coaching, new players at key positions (QB, center, for examples) and a whole new attitude and approach can make a big difference.  

But new designs usually have flaws and bugs to work out.  I expect those.  Minny has some key players to replace too!   They’ll be hungry but Nebraska is starving and hunger is a strong motivator. 

I won’t be surprised if the Huskers get r done in game 1.  

GBR!  

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

29 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think some people will be surprised by the improvement in talent (athleticism mostly) of this team from even last year.

How do you figure, personnel-wise?

We lost the most "athletically talented" guy on the team (Palmer). We then added Betts & Kemp, but do even both of those guys combined really replace what Palmer was doing?

At running back, we have basically the same roster.

At QB, maybe (probably) Sims is more "athletic" than Thompson in terms of how he can run the ball. Then as far as how he throws the ball, it's absolutely in question as to whether he can throw the ball as well or better than Thompson. Now that's not really in the "athleticism" category, but significant to our potential success on offense this year.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

We lost the most "athletically talented" guy on the team (Palmer). We then added Betts & Kemp, but do even both of those guys combined really replace what Palmer was doing?

At QB, maybe (probably) Sims is more "athletic" than Thompson in terms of how he can run the ball.

Well, if the S&C department is so much better than what we had, at least some of the players should seem to be more athletic because of more flexibility.

4 hours ago, Undone said:

Coach Whipple, is that you? 

Sure bombs to Palmer were great & memorable. If the plan is to throw as far as you can and let your speed guys run under it, I think Betts & Coleman will be your guys. But I think Rhule knows football a little better than that. He knows that sustained drives give your D a breather & keep ‘em fresh.

If that same stable of RBs is running behind functional line play this year, I think you’ll see improvement. Plus all those RBs are a year older. (And we’ll be playing some with a FB).

I look forward to an offense that is more “multiple” than just “chuck it long” to a streaking Palmer.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

Coach Whipple, is that you? 

Sure bombs to Palmer were great & memorable. If the plan is to throw as far as you can and let your speed guys run under it, I think Betts & Coleman will be your guys. But I think Rhule knows football a little better than that. He knows that sustained drives give your D a breather & keep ‘em fresh.

If that same stable of RBs is running behind functional line play this year, I think you’ll see improvement. Plus all those RBs are a year older. (And we’ll be playing some with a FB).

I look forward to an offense that is more “multiple” than just “chuck it long” to a streaking Palmer.

The side conversation that was being had was based off of this statement that 84HuskerLaw made:

I think some people will be surprised by the improvement in talent (athleticism mostly) of this team from even last year.

So it's an analysis of whether this year's team will be "more athletic" than last year, not about general improvement. Coleman may not see the field this year, at least especially for the Minnesota game. And I don't think Betts is more athletic than Palmer. Then I went on to talk about the running back & quarterback positions.

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, if the S&C department is so much better than what we had, at least some of the players should seem to be more athletic because of more flexibility.

As far as I can tell, this "inflexibility" idea is pretty speculative. Now it might be absolutely correct. So, fair to add it to the list. Just not something I'd bank on, personally.

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, Undone said:

At QB, maybe (probably) Sims is more "athletic" than Thompson in terms of how he can run the ball. Then as far as how he throws the ball, it's absolutely in question as to whether he can throw the ball as well or better than Thompson. Now that's not really in the "athleticism" category, but significant to our potential success on offense this year.

You make a lot of good points here.

3rd possession, we've ran the ball, we've thrown quick passes, and we have even given the fullback the ball a few times.  We are down 7-0 and at our own 22 yard line.  And it's 3rd and 8..... possibly punting formation once again.

More running ??

More fullback ??

The QB only has 3.0 - 4.0 seconds to make a decision down field before the pocket collapses and .....

Does the QB throw it 10 yards to the TE in the middle of the field with the LB in front and Safety behind him ?

Does he make a decision and throw it to the sideline with the receiver 2 yards short of the 1st down ?

Does he choose to scramble out of the pocket, running 15 yards laterally and around the OLB chasing him down..... just to get back to the original LOS (or perhaps a 2 yard gain) ?

Or maybe.... like CT....  he could read the coverage pre-snap, and deliver a pass withing that 3-4 second window ........ and the next great receiver catches it 15 yards down field...... or 40 yards downfield..... in perfect stride.

Time will tell if we are having our QB scramble around for his life like 2AM did to get back to the LOS or throw it across his body into coverage.

But, I definitely do not think we will ever see YOLO Tommy Armstrong drop back 7 yards from shotgun snaps, run to his left for a few seconds, or his right, and basically throw up a hail mary bomb that connects once every 15 times.  That was YOLO.  

I mean, even Taylor Martinez - who dropped his shoulder and lofted 20 yard floaters wasn't that bad.  

Sims should be alright. 

To be as accurate and with quick decision making as CT ??  We will find out as the season goes.  But I do know that Sims has the arm strength to throw 15-20 yard passes, and the occasional 50 yard pass.  Plus he has the physical size to run, take hits, and athleticism to keep going on and on.  

I really wish the first two games were in Lincoln and I don't like Thursday or Friday games.  However, I'm thinking it was smart in this situation to schedule Minnesota on Thursday.  They get all of fall camp to prepare for Minny and then an extra two days to prepare for Colorado.

It's a tough situation for a new staff, but it's set up as best they could.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I really wish the first two games were in Lincoln and I don't like Thursday or Friday games.  However, I'm thinking it was smart in this situation to schedule Minnesota on Thursday.  They get all of fall camp to prepare for Minny and then an extra two days to prepare for Colorado.

It's a tough situation for a new staff, but it's set up as best they could.

I like a Thursday or Friday night game on the opening weekend.  Yeah, it can create a tough game on the road, but there aren't many other games opposite of NU-Minnesota that night, and it will make for a fun, long weekend.

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I like a Thursday or Friday night game on the opening weekend.  Yeah, it can create a tough game on the road, but there aren't many other games opposite of NU-Minnesota that night, and it will make for a fun, long weekend.

It has sure made our first game fish fry a challenge but we are going to pull it off lol.  I have 30 pounds of fillets so I borrowed an industrial fryer so I can get it all done in about 30 minutes.  Expecting 40-50 people...  

• Oh Yeah! 2

Red and Gold game chuckleshuffle  

Husker fans won't take over the stadium, because Minnesota has a good product that their own fans want to see.  

But, it will look a little bit like Ketchup and Mustard in the stands, and Husker fans will go and represent the new era with Coach Rhule.  :w00t

I cannot not wait for this game yo !

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2