** 2023 Opponent Preview : Minnesota (Game 1) **

23 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

-8 is an interesting number though. They've beat us by 7 each of the past 3 years because they really don't try to pull away. There are teams they will beat down into a blowout (like us in 2019, or their non-conference schedule last year), but they're happy to keep a one-score lead and grind out the clock too. They do have a fair amount of questions this year but we absolutely have more.

If I were to bet it would be on Minnesota, but I'd have a hard time gambling on it being a two-score game. To me this feels like last year, another 20-13 game with both teams under 300 total yards. (Technically Minnesota was right at 300 yards last year)

Yeah.  Fortunately, we are only in June and the line will be somewhere (-6.0 to -7.5) by kickoff.  

I also think Rhule is getting the team to understand we/The Team are underdogs, and to help them get better.... and getting them to understand how to play as underdogs, until they show they can start upsetting teams.  Which if they do, they will then start to believe they can beat whoever is in front of them.  

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It might be to our advantage to get them first. They won’t be in mid season form yet, and they won’t have any film on us. 

They have plenty of film on Tony White's defensive scheme, though...

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

Chance to knock off a Top 25 team right out of the gate.

Talk about starting off the season with a bang.  Top 25 on the road. Who we have a 4 game losing streak against to include the Covid game where they fielded like 9 players and the rest were fans from the stands to make the game........

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
36 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yup.  And not just film, but experience.  Their bowl game was against Syracuse.

I don't think White coached in that game, but still

True.  But, when coaches switch from team to team and have all new players, their scheme typically is tweaked some.  That also is dependent some on what the HC wants them to do.

So, yes, they have some film and experience going against White.  But, it's still not like what they would have mid season.

Here's a look at the 3-3-5 against Minnesota.

Herbies Hangout: 3-3-5 vs Minnesota Q1

You have all heard me for years sit and tell people that the 3-4 was fine if we wanted to run it in the B1G since Wisconsin did, tough for me to say it won’t work when the Badgers who got lesser rated recruits than us were a top 10 defense nationally with it. But I do have some concerns about the 3-3-5 holding up against teams like the Gophers, Hawkeyes, and Illinois. While offensively the Badgers and other teams are more spread you out and throw now, Tony White and the 3-3-5 did have success against the Gophers in the 2022 Pinstripe Bowl. 

https://herbieshangout.com/2023/06/26/3-3-5-vs-minnesota-q1/

Herbies Hangout: 3-3-5 vs Minnesota Part 2

As we did yesterday, we will start where this post is coming from, feel free to post this link to your message boards.

You have all heard me for years sit and tell people that the 3-4 was fine if we wanted to run it in the B1G since Wisconsin did, tough for me to say it won’t work when the Badgers who got lesser rated recruits than us were a top 10 defense nationally with it. But I do have some concerns about the 3-3-5 holding up against teams like the Gophers, Hawkeyes, and Illinois. While offensively the Badgers and other teams are more spread you out and throw now, Tony White and the 3-3-5 did have success against the Gophers in the 2022 Pinstripe Bowl.

https://herbieshangout.com/2023/06/27/3-3-5-vs-minnesota-part-2/

• Plus1 1