** 2023 Opponent Preview : Northwestern (Game 7) **

It will be interesting to see what Northwestern does on offense.  Prior to Nebraska, Illinois was right at 50/50 pass/rush on the season.  Against us, they passed it 47 times to 19 rushes.

Northwestern 201 passes to 198 rushes on the season.  So...roughly 50% also.  They are averaging 6 yards per attempt and Illinois 7.26 prior to Nebraska.  Illinois averaged 6.14 against us.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It will be interesting to see what Northwestern does on offense.  Prior to Nebraska, Illinois was right at 50/50 pass/rush on the season.  Against us, they passed it 47 times to 19 rushes.

Northwestern 201 passes to 198 rushes on the season.  So...roughly 50% also.  They are averaging 6 yards per attempt and Illinois 7.26.  Illinois averaged 6.14 against us.

That's a good point, Rhule mentioned our passing yards per game looking worse than it is because of the sheer volume of passes we've defended. But I hadn't really looked at it with specific opponents. Like it was crazy that Minnesota threw it 44 times, but it was game one and maybe they were just going to throw more. And nope, they are averaging 18.6 passes per game since then. Everybody other than Michigan has thrown it more times than their average, and I'm sure that will continue.

Despite running it half the time NW is  last in the conference in YPG and YPC. I'm assuming their QB Bryant will be healthy, and it could get dicey if he plays like he did in the second half against Minnesota. But I've gotta think that game is the outlier.

• TBH 1
9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Northwestern 201 passes to 198 rushes on the season.  So...roughly 50% also.  They are averaging 6 yards per attempt and Illinois 7.26 prior to Nebraska.  Illinois averaged 6.14 against us.

Shutout, baby! It’s coming. :throwdabones1:

• Oh Yeah! 3

It's going to be interesting to see what attitude this team comes out with this Saturday.  Up until now, this team has been battling to prove everyone wrong and that they can win games.  Now....they have to prove they can do what they are supposed to do against a bad P5 team.  That's a different mentality.  I'm confident Rhule will work hard to get the team there.  Hopefully, they do.

Ben Bryant (starting QB) missed their last game with an injury.  HC David Braun wouldn't say today if he'll be healthy enough to play or not.

This is about as non-committal as it gets: "Ben continues to progress.  Not sure exactly what his status will be come game time. But he is progressing and we anticipate that will be something we continue to evaluate as the week goes along."

• Oh Yeah! 1