** 2023 Opponent Preview : Iowa (Game 12) **

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

My only concern (as usual with this game) is whether we can avoid too many problems on offensive/special teams. I believe in our defense, I don't yet believe in the offense avoiding mistakes and special teams executing consistently. 

Yep. We somehow found a way even against Illinois to go -1 in the turnover margin. Frustrating.

It was cool to actually make a couple field goals, though.     :movegoalpost:

28 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yep. We somehow found a way even against Illinois to go -1 in the turnover margin. Frustrating.

It was cool to actually make a couple field goals, though.     :movegoalpost:

I know the turnover margin against Illinois was technically -1, but the misplayed kickoff in the 2nd quarter was like a turnover, even though statistically it’s not considered a turnover. Due to that, the turnover margin was more like even. Plus, the Blackshirts stopped 3 Illinois fourth down attempts. One at the goal line, one a midfield, and one late in the game in the red zone. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Game stats show us even at 3.  I think the recovered kick counts as a "fumble".

https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup/_/gameId/401520301

The turnovers in the Huskers.com box score only show 1 fumble lost. So who knows exactly what is the correct scoring for the misplayed kickoff. I don’t think Illinois touched the kickoff before Nebraska recovered it, so IMO it shouldn’t be a fumble, but so I agree it’s pretty much a turnover.