2023 Fall Camp Notes - Wide Receivers and Tight Ends

8 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

Why are people so bleak on the WR group? Just because of the loss of Betts? Washington will be back soon correct? Anything else I’m missing? 

1)  We lost BY FAR the most effective WR in Palmer, and most of the returning WR's are unproven

2)  Washington has been injured, first it was a broken hand, then it was another injury after he came back to practice. Nobody knows how he is doing, or how much of Palmer's production he will be able to replace.

3)  Billy Kemp IV is mainly a possession receiver.  That's great to have, but it's unlikely he will produce big plays.

4)  Fleeks was supposed to be a positive, veteran influence, and he came in so overweight he couldn't practice.

5)  ICG is an unknown, considering how quickly left the team last year

6)  Many people (not me) thought Malachi Coleman would be able to contribute to the WR group this year, but it sounds like he is nowhere near seeing the field, and other true freshman receivers are ahead of him.

7)  Having to count on walk-on receivers is fine for a game or two, but those guys are unlikely to be big-play threats and be difference makers on the field.

I am sure others have concerns of their own.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

1)  We lost BY FAR the most effective WR in Palmer, and most of the returning WR's are unproven

2)  Washington has been injured, first it was a broken hand, then it was another injury after he came back to practice. Nobody knows how he is doing, or how much of Palmer's production he will be able to replace.

3)  Billy Kemp IV is mainly a possession receiver.  That's great to have, but it's unlikely he will produce big plays.

4)  Fleeks was supposed to be a positive, veteran influence, and he came in so overweight he couldn't practice.

6)  Many people (not me) thought Malachi Coleman would be able to contribute to the WR group this year, but it sounds like he is nowhere near seeing the field, and other true freshman receivers are ahead of him.

7)  Having to count on walk-on receivers is fine for a game or two, but those guys are unlikely to be big-play threats and be difference makers on the field.

Gotchya.. thank you for the synopsis! 

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Eh, I'm not saying we are loaded.  But you're pretty much pointing out the worst possible case for a bunch of guys while ignoring as strong of a case for why they will be successful.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I feel ya...

However,...

I think we both know that receivers are playing a position that most players can step up and do well.  Regardless if they are a freshman, a walkon, a 5th year senior, etc.  We have enough depth that we should be fine.  Know the playbook and the reads, get off the ball quickly (LOS), run your route, and a little outside blocking.  

In fact, some receivers not named Kemp or Washington might even get open, and Sims might just take off running instead of making a passing decision to them.    

I think the burners like Brice Turner and Malachi Coleman should run deep post routes once a quarter to have the safety and DBs get gassed and clear out some of the middle field.  Decoy unless they are open.

• TBH 1
23 minutes ago, admo said:

I feel ya...

However,...

I think we both know that receivers are playing a position that most players can step up and do well.  Regardless if they are a freshman, a walkon, a 5th year senior, etc.  We have enough depth that we should be fine.  Know the playbook and the reads, get off the ball quickly (LOS), run your route, and a little outside blocking.  

In fact, some receivers not named Kemp or Washington might even get open, and Sims might just take off running instead of making a passing decision to them.    

I think the burners like Brice Turner and Malachi Coleman should run deep post routes once a quarter to have the safety and DBs get gassed and clear out some of the middle field.  Decoy unless they are open.

IMO if you have a #1 receiver, then yeah it's pretty easy to find some guys who can contribute alongside them. But without a guy like Palmer or Stanley Morgan it's tougher, if the defense doesn't have to worry more about a specific guy it's tougher for all of the receivers. Now maybe Washington or IGC can be that dude and just needed the opportunity, but we definitely haven't seen that yet. And for the record none of the bold things are particularly easy.

At least to start the year I expect we'll see opposing defense load up to stop the run and just dare our receivers to beat their DBs, and I am not convinced we can. Turner and Coleman aren't going to scare them, they have scouting reports and will expect them to run deep. Can probably just press them, experienced Big Ten CBs are just going to manhandle freshmen WRs.

I do love the future of our WR room, and I do think we'll see flashes of it this year. There are plenty of solid options, but I think you need at least one guy better than that. I fully expect us to be a pretty poor passing team until A) one or more WRs steps up to be a guy who can consistently beat the DB in front of him one on one or B) the run game is performing so well defense have to completely sell out to stop it. Either or both of those could happen this year, but I don't think either is likely against the better teams on our schedule. 

• Plus1 2
27 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh, I'm not saying we are loaded.  But you're pretty much pointing out the worst possible case for a bunch of guys while ignoring as strong of a case for why they will be successful.

I may be looking at the worst case scenarios, but I threw out reasons to be concerned about the WR group, which was the ask from the poster.  I am sure things will end up better than I potentially made out, and the group could surprise.  But, let's not act like the WR group is a strength of the roster at this point.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

So from what I gather we now have 3 freshman who are tenths of a second close to what Palmer ran in track and 40 times.  Kemp is gonna get the ball and if a "possession wr" is catching the ball at 12-15 yards I'm fine with that.  That's what he did in the spring game and seems to continue to do in camp.  I think the difference this year is that they will have 3 TE that create match up problems if Gilbert gets to play.  Bonner is the 3rd because they are mixing him between TE and FB.  I think the WR core will be fine.  

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, admo said:

I feel ya...

However,...

Jaidyn Doss and Jaylen Lloyd are freshmen receivers who have been mentioned before Turner and Coleman.  Just FYI.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I may be looking at the worst case scenarios, but I threw out reasons to be concerned about the WR group, which was the ask from the poster.  I am sure things will end up better than I potentially made out, and the group could surprise.  But, let's not act like the WR group is a strength of the roster at this point.

I don't think anyone has been making it out to be the strength of the team.

And I'm not trying to pump sunshine either.

But we also (still) have four receivers who have caught a combined 364 passes in Division 1.  I would venture to wager that there aren't too many years of Husker football where that claim could be made going into the season.  

6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Jaidyn Doss and Jaylen Lloyd are freshmen receivers who have been mentioned before Turner and Coleman.  Just FYI.

Rhule literally said "no one is faster than Turner" when asked about the WR group and possible Freshmen playing.  He was the first person mentioned among the group, sooo.....:dunno

As far as Coleman, maybe he isn't physically strong enough against veteran DBs yet, if anything. But for all of the courting they did to get him to Nebraska, the recruiting, the hype, the talent, etc..... I just have to believe as a 4-8 team going into the season, we will most def see him get some rotational playing time.  From the Minnesota game and all season.  Especially since we only have a few veterans playing receiver.  Rhule and McGuire will have them ready, with "all hands on deck".  I'm just not anticipating super star results right away, or throughout the season.  But maybe some flashes here and there with the opportunity he will be given.

• Fire 1
8 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

IMO if you have a #1 receiver, then yeah it's pretty easy to find some guys who can contribute alongside them. But without a guy like Palmer or Stanley Morgan it's tougher, if the defense doesn't have to worry more about a specific guy it's tougher for all of the receivers. Now maybe Washington or IGC can be that dude and just needed the opportunity, but we definitely haven't seen that yet. And for the record none of the bold things are particularly easy.

At least to start the year I expect we'll see opposing defense load up to stop the run and just dare our receivers to beat their DBs, and I am not convinced we can. Turner and Coleman aren't going to scare them, they have scouting reports and will expect them to run deep. Can probably just press them, experienced Big Ten CBs are just going to manhandle freshmen WRs.

I do love the future of our WR room, and I do think we'll see flashes of it this year. There are plenty of solid options, but I think you need at least one guy better than that. I fully expect us to be a pretty poor passing team until A) one or more WRs steps up to be a guy who can consistently beat the DB in front of him one on one or B) the run game is performing so well defense have to completely sell out to stop it. Either or both of those could happen this year, but I don't think either is likely against the better teams on our schedule. 

I like the future of our WR room too.  Let's keep them and build it up.

My view and beliefs are that we have a good group collectively for a short yardage passing to move the ball down the field.  Kind of like an extended running game if that makes sense.  4 yards here, 6 yards there, etc...

Kemp in the slot, TE Fidone & Boerkircher, Rhamir Johnson out of the backfield, H-Back Bonner out of the backfield or in motion.... 

Just picking and popping to these guys in space and also using the sideline quick tosses and screens.

And in addition to the short passing game, you include Sims ability to run from the pocket, plus Washington and Garcia-Castaneda and Hahn running routes.  And all of the younger guys (freshmen) have the speed to help out too, and it's a perfect opportunity for them to show up in the next 4 games. 

We should know exactly what we have by the time we play the stretch of games versus Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan State and Maryland.  

So get them all on the field early in the year.  Someone (or two or 3) will emerge as the year progresses.  Which will also benefit next season and so on.  

And let's not forget that this is a "rebuild" season with new staff and talent.  Don't waste it if it really is a rebuild.  

We will be fine.