2023 Fall Camp Notes - Wide Receivers and Tight Ends

1 minute ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Was it a hamstring injury that made Coleman shut down his track season?  Not saying that is why he missed practiced but I know if it's bad enough a hamstring injury can linger for a long time.  Sucks about Washington 

Not sure for the track season, but I don't think Coleman's absence was injury related. For both players (Betts and Coleman) the reporters didn't ask about injuries, just whether the player was out there at practice. For Betts, Rhule volunteered that he was dealing with an injury. With Coleman and the same question, Rhule just confirmed he was not out there practicing. 

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Given Satterfield's offense last year and the WR injuries, it may not be as crazy as it sounds. Put Fidone at X, Gilbert or Boerkircher as the in-line TE, and Bonner as an H-Back. Then we only need 1 WR and 1 RB! 

A: have a feeling Gilbert will not be playing this year.

B: I thought I saw him in a yellow jersey in one of the video clips.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

A: have a feeling Gilbert will not be playing this year.

B: I thought I saw him in a yellow jersey in one of the video clips.

I'll be shocked if Gilbert gets to play.  

I'm sure I don't see everything but every mention I've seen is someone getting denied.  There were a couple more announcements of denials today.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm sure I don't see everything but every mention I've seen is someone getting denied.  There were a couple more announcements of denials today.

Quote from another article:

Walker was denied immediate eligibility as a two-time transfer after two seasons at Kent State. He originally planned to start his career at North Carolina Central before the COVID-19 pandemic led to the cancellation of the 2020 season. He then signed with East Tennessee State but never stepped on the field for the Buccaneers. 

These kids need to pick a school.  Bring grandma into it all you want, but it's starting to get a little out of hand.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

yeah I've seen a few.  Gilbert has been here since the start of spring ball.  Not sure why it would take so long to review.  There can't be that many guys who transferred from their 2nd school to a 3rd.  I bet there is quite a few but not enough to drag out a decision until 2 weeks into camp

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Quote from another article:

These kids need to pick a school.  Bring grandma into it all you want, but it's starting to get a little out of hand.

Bad take. Covid and ill grandmother aren't a kid being wishy-washy, they are things much bigger than which school an athlete attends. NCAA is simply being cruel and stupid denying this kid.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 4

SSO’s WR preview

https://herbieshangout.com/2023/08/09/2023-preview-wide-receiver/

Malachi Coleman – Let’s start with the big one here. The premier recruit from the city of Lincoln was a must get for this staff in 2023. But there are some definite red flags. He didn’t enroll early in the spring to try and get a track title, but ends up sitting out his track season due to injury. However, we all saw him sending videos out of 40 times to get us excited, coupled with coming to nearly every spring practice to have the media talk about the intrigue with him there. He sat out multiple times this summer, was sitting out the practice I was at, but managed to participate when the B1G network was there, and is back to sitting out again. He gives me some Daishon Neal vibes who wouldn’t go to home basketball games but would go to all away games so local media could ask him about his Husker commitment. He is a guy that can absolutely help us, much like Omar Manning. But he has to figure out if he can put in the effort to get on the field. If he has the want to, he has All-Conference all over him. And i’m not trying to s#!t on a kid when injuries are there, but as one strength coach told me, if you aren’t on the field you can’t help the team.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1