Oregon & Washington to the B1G - Clemson & Florida State Next?

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, with 100 million dollars plus everything their own AD generates, they can't afford travel?  This, while every program is also spending millions and millions on facilities that really don't do much more than existing facilities except they appeal to 18 year old kids.

I agree with you, but less than 10 AD's in D1 operate in the black every year.  Nebraska being one of them. Eveyone else is majorly in debt also, for those facilities etc.

23 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I'm no math major, but 40 million is larger than 20....

An issue along with the money was the loss of exposure tying yourself to a subscription based streaming service. Exposure was already a problem for the conference considering the time zone issues with the majority of people living in the eastern half of the US.

10 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Honestly, I think what this will cause/create/evolve into is fewer 1 loss teams. Schedules just got a whole lot tougher. TV venues should be packed with high level games every weekend. What will be the SEC's response. Maybe FSU, Clemson, N. Carolina and Miami?

The SEC's business model as such is selling themselves as the best conference meanwhile none of them play anyone. They don't give up their pansies, they don't commit to more conference games. Florida is just now getting to the point they play someone outside the state of Florida, and the rest of them rarely travel west of Baton Rouge.

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

I agree with you, but less than 10 AD's in D1 operate in the black every year.  Nebraska being one of them. Eveyone else is majorly in debt also, for those facilities etc.

For most schools, if you have 27 athletic programs then 25 of them are losing money. Those expenses add up quick going coast to coast.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, with 100 million dollars plus everything their own AD generates, they can't afford travel?  This, while every program is also spending millions and millions on facilities that really don't do much more than existing facilities except they appeal to 18 year old kids.

Yes, most athletic departments can afford the travel.  But at some point you should think of the kids playing.  Why should UCLA be sending their baseball team to Rutgers or Maryland or Penn St when they could play a full schedule made up of more competitive teams that are all w/in a 5 hour bus ride of campus.

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Affording travel isn't the issue.  The issue is that they are supposed to be students first (student-athlete) and most of them will not become professional athletes even in football and/or basketball.  If you spend all your time traveling for sports, it is hard to get your degree and move into your chosen profession.  I know they all have access to tutors and can take a lot of their classes online now, but there are many athletes that wouldn't be in college if it were only decided on their ability to do the schoolwork.

• Plus1 1

With Zoom and the like, most college students travel isn't an issue.

One of my summer crew guys goes to tOSU.  We had a bunch of work to do in late April and early May.  He moved out of the dorm and came home.  Finished the semester in Cleveland.  Finals and all. 

Worked, then went home for classes.

• TBH 1
25 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

Affording travel isn't the issue.  The issue is that they are supposed to be students first (student-athlete) and most of them will not become professional athletes even in football and/or basketball.  If you spend all your time traveling for sports, it is hard to get your degree and move into your chosen profession.  I know they all have access to tutors and can take a lot of their classes online now, but there are many athletes that wouldn't be in college if it were only decided on their ability to do the schoolwork.

Like @Crusader Husker said, anymore, they can miss class and not hardly miss a beat.  My kid's class lectures were all taped.  They could then go back and watch them if they missed a class or rewatch them to get something they might have missed or didn't understand.  It's actually awesome for kids these days.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Like @Crusader Husker said, anymore, they can miss class and not hardly miss a beat.  My kid's class lectures were all taped.  They could then go back and watch them if they missed a class or rewatch them to get something they might have missed or didn't understand.  It's actually awesome for kids these days.

Its not about the missing classes.  Its that travel like that mostly sucks.  Why does it make any sense for UCLA be sending their softball team across the country multiple times a year when they can play 15 better teams by taking a bus in a 3 hour radius from their campus?  

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The bowl game will still exist.  It just won't be tied to the B1G and Pac 12.

Which,....most of the country didn't care about anyway.  

I don't know about "most of the country" not caring about the Rose Bowl.  Pretty sure it is the highest rated non-semifinal game each year.  Old people (and B1G fans) love the Rose Bowl.

There is going to have a be a big reorganization with bowls, probably starting next year with the expanded playoff.  The B1G and Big 12 are going to need more bowl slots.  Will the PAC exist?  What will happen to those bowl games?

• Plus1 3
Just now, Red Five said:

I don't know about "most of the country" not caring about the Rose Bowl.  Pretty sure it is the highest rated non-semifinal game each year.  Old people (and B1G fans) love the Rose Bowl.

There is going to have a be a big reorganization with bowls, probably starting next year with the expanded playoff.  The B1G and Big 12 are going to need more bowl slots.  Will the PAC exist?  What will happen to those bowl games?

I meant that most of the country didn't care that it was tied to just the B1G and Pac 12.  Yes, people watch the game.  But, they still would even if it were teams not from those conferences.