We may have to start winning

On 9/7/2023 at 2:34 PM, soup said:

The amount of commercials to pay for all of these massive TV contracts will be the death of the massive TV contracts.

It has already been complained about by MANY about how there are way to many commercials and not enough football.  The TV networks have to pay for these things some how, and if viewership drops because of that then look out.

I hear you about the too many commercials.  The genius thing about YouTube TV is that you can fast forward through them, which is what I do.  

Game starts at 11.  I have it saved and ready to watch, but I don't start watching until noon.  Pause it at halftime too, and grill some food. Then come back and watch the 2nd half. 

I know that's not a traditional viewing experience, but there is so many breaks in the game.....  I just don't want to deal with that for 3 hours plus.  

It makes watching the game more enjoyable skipping through the commercials and right to the action.  

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
32 minutes ago, admo said:

I hear you about the too many commercials.  The genius thing about YouTube TV is that you can fast forward through them, which is what I do.  

Game starts at 11.  I have it saved and ready to watch, but I don't start watching until noon.  Pause it at halftime too, and grill some food. Then come back and watch the 2nd half. 

I know that's not a traditional viewing experience, but there is so many breaks in the game.....  I just don't want to deal with that for 3 hours plus.  

It makes watching the game more enjoyable skipping through the commercials and right to the action.  

That's my exact formula. Don't need YouTube TV, just any platform with a DVR feature.

I can't image life without a pause and record button for my TV any more. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 9/12/2023 at 4:03 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

That's my exact formula. Don't need YouTube TV, just any platform with a DVR feature.

I can't image life without a pause and record button for my TV any more. 

Yep.  Been that way of life for me since 2019.  Will never go back or watch it any other way.  

And not just Husker games, but say, if GS is playing the Dallas Mavs, the game is recording while I'm driving home.  I don't care what time it is since the tipoff; I'll start watching from the beginning.  And skip through the ads/commercials until I'm caught up by the 2nd half of the game.  It's wonderful  :)

14 hours ago, admo said:

Yep.  Been that way of life for me since 2019.  Will never go back or watch it any other way.  

And not just Husker games, but say, if GS is playing the Dallas Mavs, the game is recording while I'm driving home.  I don't care what time it is since the tipoff; I'll start watching from the beginning.  And skip through the ads/commercials until I'm caught up by the 2nd half of the game.  It's wonderful  :)

Football is the best. If I'm interested in the game, but not THAT interested, I have the :30 skip feature. The moment the play is dead I can skip to the next snap and watch a whole game in the time it takes my wife to make dinner. 

• TBH 1

Reminds me of Flight of the Phoenix movie (1965 original) .....

Plot: The Phoenix make-shift plane is completed but untested. The first two starter cartridges attempts are unsuccessful (Minny & sCUm); misfired. The last cartridge is successful (N.Illinois). Powerful Wasp nine cylinder radial engine !!

Rhule guns the Wasp engine, the plane successfully taking off !!  From now on, Huskers will be undefeated, 12W-2L. Including Michigan upset, CCG and bowl winners :koolaid2:

the-flight-of-the-phoenix-1965-film-6f1b

BTW, 2004 remake, sucks

image.gif

image.gif

• Oh Yeah! 2
On 8/6/2023 at 3:26 PM, BoNeyard said:

College Football is changing rapidly and although today things may seem stable, I don't trust it. The networks are calling the shots and it is very concerning for the future of college football. This round of realignment and media deals completely wiped out a athletic conference that has been around for 100+ years. No one is safe and that includes Nebraska. We got lucky back when we join the Big Ten, our brand was very strong, we had history and not only were we playing competitive football, the Nebraska fans were an attractive market for the Big Ten. But the last 10 years we have been mediocre to down right bad. 

My concern is the next round of media rights and discussions may see non-competitive programs and teams being kicked out of conferences. I get when Rutgers and Maryland joined it was to gobble up the TV markets as that was seen as a big deal, but I think what ESPN and FOX are going to be wanting in the next round is simply competitive games every single Saturday. They want people glued to their TV's all day Saturday, similar to how the NFL runs Sunday's. I think these networks will realize that they'd rather have Michigan vs USC and Ohio State vs Penn State type of games then Ohio State vs Maryland or having to air Purdue vs Northwestern. 

I could see the Big Ten getting rid of teams like Maryland, Rutgers, maybe even Indiana and Purdue to make room for teams like Clemson, FSU and Miami. With geography, traditions and rivalries out the window, the Big Ten/FOX could be looking to make Saturday's as jam packed as possible with top winning programs knowing college football fans from all over are going to tune in and watch, instead of focusing on getting the New Jersey TV market for an awful Rutgers program. 

If Nebraska doesn't start winning and becoming competitive, I worry when that TV deal comes back up and that is the philosophy of the networks, that Nebraska may not qualify for a spot at the table. At this time we will be nearing 20 years of irrelevancy on the big stage and our small market sized state suddenly doesn't have all that much to offer. Do we travel well? Heck yes we do, Nebraska fans are the sole reason we likely got into the Big Ten originally and certainly has been the only reason this program continues to hold a big name brand, but with less and less emphasis on ticket sales, and the uncertainty of if the new generation of Nebraska fans will be as loyal as the previous generation, man I don't know if we become that attractive. 

It's worrisome times, I don't trust any of it, and the only way to make sure we remain worthy of qualifications to a big time conference is to win. I love college football, but these are some ugly times.

Too much money in college football and it is ruined.  I just watch and do other things now.  When enough devices tune out things will change

• Haha 1

On 9/12/2023 at 4:29 PM, admo said:

Have to be suspicious of anything Youtube/google tho.  

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Undone said:

Guys.

We may have to start winning.

Lol yeah.  

I don't know if this is oddly fascinating or just painfully gross and frustrating, but I had to look it up.  Totally mind-blowing.

Over the last 20 games, Nebraska football is 4-16.  

Since the start of 2021, Nebraska football is 7-19

These are the 7 Husker wins:  Fordham (FCS), Buffalo, Northwestern, North Dakota (FCS), Indiana, Rutgers (by 1 point) and Iowa.  

Rutgers and Iowa are the 2 road wins.  

And people be freaking out - livid - when the Huskers lose to Minnesota by 3 points on a last second FG on the road, and the Story of the year "Prime Show" at Colorado.  

What's the Huskers record again? 

On the hopeful side of things (and I am hopeful), the entire season is still in front of us.  Could still win some games.  And we haven't been eliminated yet from bowl game status.  However, it's important to understand that the teams the Huskers have been able to beat recently, with the number of loses, tells a story that we are needing to rebuild the football program, and to be patient. No matter how eager we want it to happen overnight.  Flipping this thing around - It's going to take time. And I understand that concept.  And still a Husker fan.  

23 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Only the #7 site in the country.  People have basically given up.

F6js9nmX0AATzUl?format=png&name=large

Oh stop. This does not agree with huskerfan702’s narrative that Deion and the Buffs are the primary reason everyone engages with college football. I mean didn’t we all see his “please stop lol” a few posts above about the viewership numbers of the NU-CU game? pffft…..#7   Now wait a second, which of those top 20 are a Prime Buffs site again?

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1