Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

No disrespect to him intended, but he was also a walk-on at Ole Miss and essentially a walk-on in high school at IMG. Threw 9 passes his senior year of high school - although I imagine he played on their B-squad, they field several teams. #4 is probably Luke Longval from IWCC, although he also hasn't really played - he redshirted his one year at IWCC.

The best high school QB we have on our roster is probably Gage Stenger.

I mean we are scratching the bottom of the worst QB room in the nation so yea maybe a RS freshman LB is the best option.

• Plus1 1

58 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

No disrespect to him intended, but he was also a walk-on at Ole Miss and essentially a walk-on in high school at IMG. Threw 9 passes his senior year of high school - although I imagine he played on their B-squad, they field several teams. #4 is probably Luke Longval from IWCC, although he also hasn't really played - he redshirted his one year at IWCC.

I forgot about Stenger.  He had to sling it at Millard South.  

There's two games left.  Let's get crazy!

GTK: Gage Stenger an intriguing athlete joining Nebraska's program - InsideNebraska (rivals.com)

Statistics: On offense, Stenger completed 72 out of 110 [65%] passes for 1385 yards with 17 touchdowns [long of 70] and no interceptions. He also had 76 rushes for 555 yards and 11 touchdowns [long of 60]. On defense, he had 12 total tackles. Top seeded Millard South (9-1) was upset in the first round of the Class A state playoffs.

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Perfect…..only attempt 9 passes all game.  Does he fumble?

ESPN stats only go back to 2004, so here is a history of Nebraska thrown INTs by season

1 Interception in every X Passes

2023 Haarberg/Sims 1 in 15

2022 Thompson/Purdy 1 in 26

2021 Martinez 1 in 31

2020 Martinez/McCaffery 1 in 25

2019 Martinez 1 in 36

2018 Martinez 1 in 37

2017 Lee 1 in 27

2016 Armstrong/Fyfe 1 in 44

2015 Armstrong 1 in 22

2014 Armstrong 1 in 30

2013 Armstrong/Kellogg/Martinez 1 in 29

2012 Martinez 1 in 29

2011 Martinez 1 in 37

2010 Martinez 1 in 35

2009 Lee 1 in 30

2008 Ganz 1 in 39

2007 Keller/Ganz 1 in 28

2006 Taylor 1 in 51

2005 Taylor 1 in 37

2004 Dailey 1 in 14

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

ESPN stats only go back to 2004, so here is a history of Nebraska thrown INTs by season

1 Interception in every X Passes

2023 Haarberg/Sims 1 in 15

2022 Thompson/Purdy 1 in 26

2021 Martinez 1 in 31

2020 Martinez/McCaffery 1 in 25

2019 Martinez 1 in 36

2018 Martinez 1 in 37

2017 Lee 1 in 27

2016 Armstrong/Fyfe 1 in 44

2015 Armstrong 1 in 22

2014 Armstrong 1 in 30

2013 Armstrong/Kellogg/Martinez 1 in 29

2012 Martinez 1 in 29

2011 Martinez 1 in 37

2010 Martinez 1 in 35

2009 Lee 1 in 30

2008 Ganz 1 in 39

2007 Keller/Ganz 1 in 28

2006 Taylor 1 in 51

2005 Taylor 1 in 37

2004 Dailey 1 in 14

Can we pay enough to bring Taylor back?

I know absolute nothing about actually being a QB (I know, shocker). But, can we please at least get his input on who Rhule should go after and then send that guy to him for the summer to teach?

Seriously. How does this work? How do you address the three quarterbacks about the last two games of the season? 

Do they know they are historically awful?  You don't want to be cruel to young players who are playing the last organized football of their lives, but there's a job to do for the next two weeks and you have to give somebody reps and confidence. But they're all terrible choices. No one has grabbed the opportunity to clear a very low bar. 

And how do the QBs and the coaches address the rest of the team? It's a team sport, it's not all on one player, but sometimes it kinda is. Defense has played well enough to win games almost by themselves, and they have to stand on the sideline and watch the offense let them down. There's no other word for it. They don't want to be cruel to their likable teammates either, but you know what's going through their minds. Why did I get so tired and sore to watch our offense hand a win to a crappy team? 

The coaches have to wonder how it got this bad --- not just the huge whiff on the portal transfer for this turnaround year, but the inability to develop mere competence out of any quarterback. I don't think we get to hear any of these speeches, but I'm really curious what you say to the team at this point, and what Rhule says to Satterfield privately. 

36 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It didn't sound too promising for Haarberg.  Not that I would mind if Purdy got the chance.

I haven’t listened to Rhule’s tone on his PC, but from the way things were phrased, I would put Purdy ahead of Haarberg in likelihood to play.

I think it comes down to figuring out if Purdy can make it through this week of practice and the game on Saturday.  If not, they will have to turn to Sims, which they probably don’t want to do. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I haven’t listened to Rhule’s tone on his PC, but from the way things were phrased, I would put Purdy ahead of Haarberg in likelihood to play.

I think it comes down to figuring out if Purdy can make it through this week of practice and the game on Saturday.  If not, they will have to turn to Sims, which they probably don’t want to do. 

Yeah, I got the impression that it would be Purdy if they can get him ready.  So basically if he can practice to get some reps.  

It sounded like he was banged up a bit but I didn't take it that it was to the point that he wasn't practicing.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

they will have to turn to Sims

I had a rule after the Colorado game that I would not watch a game in which Sims starts. Luckily (or unfortunately?) the coaching staff saved me from that. But man, if Sims starts this weekend....look out. 

Did anyone see the Happer tweet saturday? Can't post it right now, but the team is averaging a turnover every 4.35 drives. When broken down by QB, Sims accounted for 12 turnovers on 26 drives which is 46.15%!

Purdy has 50% but has only played 2 drives so far this season. 

HH has 13 TOs over 84 drives for 15.48%, which while pretty horrible, looks great by comparison. 

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I got the impression that it would be Purdy if they can get him ready.  So basically if he can practice to get some reps.  

It sounded like he was banged up a bit but I didn't take it that it was to the point that he wasn't practicing.

The impression I got was that HH has the ankle, Purdy has the groin, and Sims has fumblitis with a tad of suck a$$.  

I'm fine if Purdy can go.  After him, whoever is next up needs to be ready to play sub par and average as well.  Huskers by 3.