Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

18 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

9-1...  With Ok offensive play, we beat Colorado imo.  

Ya know, I dont disagree with this but ill still give us the L for sake of argument purposes.  Who knows what wouldve happened had we just put up 14-21 early in that game when defense was playing great....

tho knowing this team, had we won against colorado we prolly would've come out flat against one of the illinois/nw/purdue games.  This team still no shows games similar to last iterations- not as severely but i dont know how else to explain the michigan state game.  

2 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Ya know, I dont disagree with this but ill still give us the L for sake of argument purposes.  Who knows what wouldve happened had we just put up 14-21 early in that game when defense was playing great....

tho knowing this team, had we won against colorado we prolly would've come out flat against one of the illinois/nw/purdue games.  This team still no shows games similar to last iterations- not as severely but i dont know how else to explain the michigan state game.  

The assumption that NU automatically wins so many other games with a “mediocre QB” is a big leap of faith.  I guess if those people use the qualifier of “if kept everything else the same….” they may have a point. But, we know that if NU had a better QB, other teams would probably game plan against NU differently, and all of those losses wouldn’t be an automatic win. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The assumption that NU automatically wins so many other games with a “mediocre QB” is a big leap of faith.  

Is it though?  We have a top 20 defense and are ranked 122/133 in points per game scored.  Only 2 opponents have scored over 20 points this season against us and in one of those we handed the opponent a gob of points on turnovers.  Just by removing the really bad interceptions, we would be sitting at 7-8 wins without adding a completion.    

• TBH 1
50 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Who was the last QB that Nebraska had whereby a forward pass wasn't a regular 'hold your breath & wait and see what happens' event?  The same holds true with fumbles. 

Adrian Martinez freshman year. 

I think some people get nervous about every forward pass, but recent Husker QBs have been middle of the pack turnover machines: not great, but no reason to shut them down, either. I actually have great memories of Trey Palmer, J.D. Spielman, Stanley Morgan, Quincy Enunwa, Jordan Westercamp, Kenny Bell, Demornay Pierson-El, Cethan Carter and other receivers who made exciting plays and helped us win via the passing game. 

18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The assumption that NU automatically wins so many other games with a “mediocre QB” is a big leap of faith.  I guess if those people use the qualifier of “if kept everything else the same….” they may have a point. But, we know that if NU had a better QB, other teams would probably game plan against NU differently, and all of those losses wouldn’t be an automatic win. 

This is true and it's impossible to prove. But......it's also hard to imagine a marginally better quarterback not making the difference in a 13-10 loss like last week. 

• TBH 1
9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This is true and it's impossible to prove. But......it's also hard to imagine a marginally better quarterback not making the difference in a 13-10 loss like last week. 

Ditto for minnesota which was also 13-10.  Maryland is much worse to me- at least minny was week 1 and on the road- this past weekend was just a disgusting day for the QBs as a whole.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yes, I agree with you. If everything else was the same, a better QB likely wins the game last week. However, what we don’t know is how Maryland (and other teams) would approach playing against NU’s defense. Also, Maryland played pretty poorly with a lot of mistakes last week. If they are playing against a more potent offense, maybe they are more focused, don’t make as many mistakes and have so many penalties, and score 24-30 points. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

For sure, and we had another 13-10 loss also (to Minnesota). Sims threw a couple extremely costly picks in that one also.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

That's true but this thread is about our terrible QB's.

Throwing the pick on their 6 yards line right before halftime instead of at least getting 3 points wasn't good.

Agree that the pick before half wasn’t great. Despite that NU was in great position to win the game before Grant’s fumble.  There were a lot of mistakes by numerous players which led to the NU loss against Minnesota. 

• Plus1 1