malachi coleman

BoSolich

On 9/11/2023 at 12:39 AM, lo country said:

Short Side Option mentioned this earlier in the season.  Said he could be all conference, but lacked a solid work ethic (paraphrased).  We could really use his ability.  If he’d really use his ability.  A smart HC/OC would get a few plays he could run in his sleep and use those.  Have him run other routes to keep DC’s honest, but use him and his limited experience. 

Might have been said already but this comment sounds like another WR from Bellevue West that showed great promise and skills- hope it isn't true

• TBH 1

11 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Not saying Coleman won't be the guy by the end of the year but fans need to understand that not every "star" freshman is ready to excel out of the gate.    

This is something that drives me batty about certain posters...

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 4
4 hours ago, Toe said:

This is something that drives me batty about certain posters...

I understand your POV and @Hilltop POV as well.  However, there are certain 4 star recruits that are just more gifted and talented than other recruits.  The two examples that come to mind are Fidone and Coleman.  

Malachi got schollie offers from USC, Penn State, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Missouri, Colorado, MICHIGAN, Oregon, Ole Miss, Florida State, etc.  

These are guys you get onto the field and into the rotation Day One.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2

16 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I don't disagree with this concept in general but there are plenty of players labeled 4 & 5 stars that take a year or two before they are ready for this level.  Not saying Coleman won't be the guy by the end of the year but fans need to understand that not every "star" freshman is ready to excel out of the gate.    

I understand that and so do others.  There is nothing wrong with Husker fans getting excited about guys like Coleman and Fidone playing right away and making contributions and small impacts throughout their first season.  

But is it really their fault?  

Seriously, who talked about Malachi Coleman his entire JR and SR year when he was in high school?  The media and the writers from Omaha and Lincoln, and UNL twitter feed shoved amazing highlights and stories about him for more than a year and during the offseason too.  Blame those guys for the hype and not the fans.  He committed to Nebraska and more highlights and stories followed.  What is a fan to do?  Ignore all that from the past 16-24 months?  And be patient?  And wait until next year while walkon recievers are getting schollies?  It's not the Husker fans fault when they have been fed the hype and kool-aid.  Malachi could be at USC right now playing with Heisman QB Caleb Williams..... and he'd probably have 7-10 catches while in the 2 man rotation through 6 games.  Nebraska, with Haarberg and Sims need him even more.  And fans can see that too.  

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2
56 minutes ago, admo said:

I understand your POV and @Hilltop POV as well.  However, there are certain 4 star recruits that are just more gifted and talented than other recruits.  The two examples that come to mind are Fidone and Coleman.  

Malachi got schollie offers from USC, Penn State, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Missouri, Colorado, MICHIGAN, Oregon, Ole Miss, Florida State, etc.  

46 minutes ago, admo said:

I understand that and so do others.  There is nothing wrong with Husker fans getting excited about guys like Coleman and Fidone playing right away and making contributions and small impacts throughout their first season.  

But is it really their fault?  

Seriously, who talked about Malachi Coleman his entire JR and SR year when he was in high school?  The media and the writers from Omaha and Lincoln, and UNL twitter feed shoved amazing highlights and stories about him for more than a year and during the offseason too.  Blame those guys for the hype and not the fans.  He committed to Nebraska and more highlights and stories followed.  What is a fan to do?  Ignore all that from the past 16-24 months?  And be patient?  And wait until next year while walkon recievers are getting schollies?  It's not the Husker fans fault when they have been fed the hype and kool-aid.  Malachi could be at USC right now playing with Heisman QB Caleb Williams..... and he'd probably have 7-10 catches while in the 2 man rotation through 6 games.  Nebraska, with Haarberg and Sims need him even more.  And fans can see that too.  

There, I crossed out the stuff that doesn't matter at all with regards to whether or not Coleman should be on the field for you. Hopefully that helps clear some things up.

• Plus1 5
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, Toe said:

There, I crossed out the stuff that doesn't matter at all with regards to whether or not Coleman should be on the field for you.

Sensitive much as always, I see ?  

My opinion and thoughts are just as valid as yours.  We just see differently and I'm OK with that ;) 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
2 hours ago, admo said:

You play a guy based upon his rating by recruiting services?

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 2

Players ahead of him are hurt. 
we have  no deep threat. 

he needs to play out of necessity. And he can run fast downfield. Play him and see what might happen if we throw it deep to him 2-3 times a game. Lastly, he did block very well in the last game. 

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

You play a guy based upon his rating by recruiting services?

Do you?  Speak for yourself.

Me?  For how coveted he was throughout the nation?  Yeah I would. 

Going into the year, your Huskers went 4-16 in their last 20 games.  Lost the first 2 as well.  That's an 18% winning percentage, and 82% losing percentage.  By that alone I look at putting the best talent on the field.

And so the season starts, and you run onto the field with 2 transfer players at receivers - Casteneda who played 2 games last year, got hurt, quit, went into the transfer portal, came back.......  and Billy Kemp - who might be 5'7" tall in cleats.  That shorter than 2 yards on the field.  Plus you run out a walkon from Nebraska - Bullock. 

Casteneda, Kemp, Bullock.  Day 1 starters.  

Are you even thinking this through ??   

Damn straight I would put Malachi Coleman out there.  He deserves as much opportunity as those guys did.  I want my best talent on the field and we can grow from there.  

I see you don't think so which is probably why you responded with that type of question.  And that's fine.  We just think differently obviously.  

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, admo said:

Do you?  Speak for yourself.

Me?  For how coveted he was throughout the nation?  Yeah I would. 

Going into the year, your Huskers went 4-16 in their last 20 games.  Lost the first 2 as well.  That's an 18% winning percentage, and 82% losing percentage.  By that alone I look at putting the best talent on the field.

And so the season starts, and you run onto the field with 2 transfer players at receivers - Casteneda who played 2 games last year, got hurt, quit, went into the transfer portal, came back.......  and Billy Kemp - who might be 5'7" tall in cleats.  That shorter than 2 yards on the field.  Plus you run out a walkon from Nebraska - Bullock. 

Casteneda, Kemp, Bullock.  Day 1 starters.  

Damn straight I would put Malachi Coleman out there.  He deserves as much opportunity as those guys did.  I want my best talent on the field and we can grow from there.  

I see you don't think so which is probably why you responded with that type of question.  And that's fine.  We just think differently obviously.  

I understand your frustration, but don’t you think that guys like ICG, Kemp, and Bullock were better than Coleman coming into the season based on their experience, knowledge of the playbook, route running, blocking, and other things that WR’s need to do besides just being tall and a great athlete?  It was completely unrealistic expectations for Coleman to come in and be a huge contributor early in the season. He was VERY RAW in high school. He stayed in high school for his spring semester (that’s not a criticism, but it’s going to put him behind others on the roster).  And he has had injuries and other things keeping him from being at practice full time.

The good news for you and Coleman is that everyone else is now injured so Coleman will get a lot of snaps. It was great to see him make a catch, seem to block well, and be open on other plays. Let’s see how he can do the rest of the season. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand your frustration, but don’t you think that guys like ICG, Kemp, and Bullock were better than Coleman coming into the season based on their experience, knowledge of the playbook, route running, blocking, and other things that WR’s need to do besides just being tall and a great athlete?  It was completely unrealistic expectations for Coleman to come in and be a huge contributor early in the season. He was VERY RAW in high school. He stayed in high school for his spring semester (that’s not a criticism, but it’s going to put him behind others on the roster).  And he has had injuries and other things keeping him from being at practice full time.

The good news for you and Coleman is that everyone else is now injured so Coleman will get a lot of snaps. It was great to see him make a catch, seem to block well, and be open on other plays. Let’s see how he can do the rest of the season. 

You talk about other players being better based on experience, knowledge of the playbook, route running, blocking.  Ok, but can you provide me with how much contribution those guys have made *checks notes*  with HUGE impacts this year ??  Let me see them stats.  Even though I have watched the games, please impress me.  And, don't bring in the tight ends because we are talking about receivers.  

And why do you say "The good news for you" about Colemen playing more snaps?  

The good news is that is good news for the Husker team and Husker fans.  The bad news is that the staff and some of yall's push back on Malachi Coleman is that yall had to wait for all these injuries to happen before he gets a real opportunity.  

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, admo said:

You're asking this question after using recruiting rankings, blaming media/hype videos, and the hypothetical belief that he'd be catching passes for Caleb Williams as some of the reasons for why a freshman WR should be more involved?

Surely that level of fanatical irony isn't being lost on you, but the fact you're defending your perspective so ardently and combatively suggests it might be.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 4
14 minutes ago, admo said:

You talk about other players being better based on experience, knowledge of the playbook, route running, blocking.  Ok, but can you provide me with how much contribution those guys have made *checks notes*  with HUGE impacts this year ??  Let me see them stats.  Even though I have watched the games, please impress me.  And, don't bring in the tight ends because we are talking about receivers.  

And why do you say "The good news for you" about Colemen playing more snaps?  

The good news is that is good news for the Husker team and Husker fans.  The bad news is that the staff and some of yall's push back on Malachi Coleman is that yall had to wait for all these injuries to happen before he gets a real opportunity.  

You obviously aren’t going to accept that Coleman wasn’t ready to play a lot of snaps early in the season despite reasons that people have given. You played sports, and while I am sure you were a great athlete, don’t you agree that sometimes the  best athletes aren’t ready to contribute right away? We aren’t pushing back on Coleman’s playing time, but we see reasons why he wasn’t coming in, being an automatic starter, and not getting many snaps until Illinois. 

I’m excited for Coleman to play more. It’s a great opportunity for him. Plus, this playing time will help him be a bigger contributor the next 2-3 seasons. I hope he plays great as a Husker, goes to the NFL as a draft pick, and makes great money.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2