What did we learn Michigan Game

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok…then why isn’t the stat just “points off turnovers”?  That’s simple to see. 

There are one hell of a lot of variables in this stat that make it odd. 

Because that's not what it is.  It's more like "points off not turnovers" but that's pretty cumbersome also.

16 hours ago, runningblind said:

This is true yes, but would you rather have 20~ 5 stars and 50~ 4 stars on the team to do it with, or the 0/25 number we have?  That is the point about hoping NIL can improve those numbers for us to make it easier to right the ship.  That is what we are saying.  If Rhule is the developer we are led to believe he is, he surely can reach higher with 4/5 star talent versus 2/3 and a few 4's. 

Nobody disagrees that more/better talent helps and will be necessary to eventually hopefully get back to championship football. The point of contention is that it isn't a simple equation either way, and since we are a program that is strong in some categories and weak in others (the most notable one being recruiting prowess), the core foundation better not and can't be reliant solely on talent; rather, the formula here has to start with development and process and let that translate into winning which then translates into an uptick in recruiting which then begins a positive feedback loop.

There are programs who can recruit at an elite level by essentially doing nothing more other than existing. We aren't one of them and never will be.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
7 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Nobody disagrees that more/better talent helps and will be necessary to eventually hopefully get back to championship football. The point of contention is that it isn't a simple equation either way, and since we are a program that is strong in some categories and weak in others (the most notable one being recruiting prowess), the core foundation better not and can't be reliant solely on talent; rather, the formula hear has to start with development and process and let that translate into winning which then translates into an uptick in recruiting which then begins a positive feedback loop.

There are programs who can recruit at an elite level by essentially doing nothing more other than existing. We aren't one of them and never will be.

I get that. We also have never had a legacy kid who is the number 1 overall recruit at the most important position. IMO, there has never been a more opportune time to try and go over board a bit to convince him to come and bring other guys with him.  This just feels like a chance to make a huge impact that we won't easily get again, especially early in a coaches tenure when we desperately need a boost.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
56 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I get that. We also have never had a legacy kid who is the number 1 overall recruit at the most important position. IMO, there has never been a more opportune time to try and go over board a bit to convince him to come and bring other guys with him.  This just feels like a chance to make a huge impact that we won't easily get again, especially early in a coaches tenure when we desperately need a boost.

And you don't think they haven't tried everything to get him here?

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

I tend to align philosophically with @Lorewarn in that the foundation should be built upon maximizing the development and process with existing talent, which ideally translates into wins, which helps improve the program's profile, which translates into better recruits, which raises the floor of the process, which translates to more wins, etc. That endless feedback loop.

I don't think the talent Nebraska has brought in during the last 8-10 years is as poor as some of the final end of season results have indicated, so there's been a lot of wasted potential.

And I don't necessarily want to make one recruit into some kind of grand indictment of this challenge, but I do think Raiola is a bit of a microcosm of it. He's the kind of kid you throw the kitchen sink at, and yet, he committed elsewhere. Nebraska is in a better position than most to compete financially, but then you'd have to ask why he'd want to attend a university that has failed to reach .500 much of the last decade. 

It all matters and it's all relevant, of course. It'd just be really nice to know we're maximizing potential of what we have to then say "yeah, we know the process works, but now we just need some players with a higher ceiling to go to the next level."

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, soup said:

And you don't think they haven't tried everything to get him here?

I'm not convinced the whole operation is rowing the boat in the same direction, no.  That has not been the case in 25 years. I am not yet convinced any coach has the full weight of all available resources to do what he deems necessary.  

What makes you automatically assume EVERYTHING is being done?  Where do you work that everyone gives 100% effort into doing the best for the organization?  Honest question.  People around here love to assume that everything is being done with 100% effort all the time, when humans just don't do that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'm sure people will believe what they want to believe.  Whether they have any foundation for their beliefs or not.

And they'll try to pick apart any little bit of actual information that comes out.

And they'll not want to believe a source, even if they have no basis to refute it.

But here's what Sean Callahan said this morning when someone asked him a snarky NIL question.  He has more insight on the situation that basically anyone that's willing to talk about it.

They have over 100 guys on deals getting paid monthly payments to the current roster, which is in the multi-million dollars. What do you expect it to be? They have 26 kids committed. They lost Brandon Baker to Texas.

I don't get posts like this? Literally, this place eats its own. People that have no clue about anything post stuff like this, which no knowledge over something that's supposed to be kept private. NIL and NIL deals aren't public anywhere. I just don't understand the point of these posts are?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 3

I’ve learned that a pretty sizable amount of husker fans on here must be under the impression that the N in NIL stands for Nebraska and that no other programs have access to pay players.

news flash ya’ll- money and money alone doesn’t fix this. Every other big time program we are going against for elite talent also has $ to throw at 18 year olds. If I’m an 18 year old and can get paid 6-7 figures to play for a program averaging 4 wins the past 7 years or a program averaging 9-10 with a few pops for playoff contention, y in the hell am I choosing the 4 win squad for the same money?

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2

A little more color on how in-depth it is:

I know they withhold when they pay guys, because you are right, no kid would be disciplined enough to pay quarterly taxes, etc. Very hard to do at that age. They probably have at least 15-20 apartments and probably 20+ cars out. It's very complex, but they do have people meet with them about money management, etc.

Some guys have LLCs set up. You cand do a lot of cool things if you have the right people helping.

• Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, runningblind said:

I don’t see any raiola of this generation coming here. You think that’s gonna happen after their uncle gets canned this off-season?

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

People tend to forget that we won the bidding war against Texas for Ochaun Mathis last year.

The other thing I get a kick out of is how we have no access to the structure of any of these NIL deals.  People just assume every thing has to do with they get more money somewhere else.  There's no information to support it either way.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
6 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

The other thing I get a kick out of is how we have no access to the structure of any of these NIL deals.  People just assume every thing has to do with they get more money somewhere else.  There's no information to support it either way.

Correct.  And people also believe everything they read online about what players are getting.

Is Caleb Williams making multiple millions this year?  I would assume so.

Is Tennessee freshman QB Nico Iamaleava getting $8M?  Probably not.

• TBH 2
25 minutes ago, Red Five said:

People tend to forget that we won the bidding war against Texas for Ochaun Mathis last year.

Solid reminder we have the money to compete, also solid reminder that $, NIL and transfer portal doesn’t guarantee success.  I know Mathis was a little banged up but outside of the Iowa game he had minimal impact given his profile (imo) and was no more of a difference maker than Nelson who was paid significantly less

• Plus1 2