Illinois - What Did We Learn

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Grant Tagge begs to differ

The fumble recovery was a great effort. 

That there was a fumble in the first place was pretty poor on Illinois' part.  

I'm pretty sure if the roles were reversed people on here wouldn't have anything to say about how great a job Illinois did to recover that fumble.

21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, that would be interesting.

Our starting field position against Illinois was very good.  But not much of that had to do with our special teams actually making a play.

Oh yeah, statistics can be good indicators of things, but they can also include outliers as a result of dumb luck.

I know that the punting stats may not be great right now, but those can also be impacted by trying to pin an opponent inside the 20, or punting more often into the wind or things like that.  It seems like when I have listened to Severe Reaction on Sundays, Severe has said good things about Buscini and his punting so far this year. 

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Oh yeah, statistics can be good indicators of things, but they can also include outliers as a result of dumb luck.

I know that the punting stats may not be great right now, but those can also be impacted by trying to pin an opponent inside the 20, or punting more often into the wind or things like that.  It seems like when I have listened to Severe Reaction on Sundays, Severe has said good things about Buscini and his punting so far this year. 

He obviously isn't the next Darin Erstad.  But, I haven't had much problem with his punting this year.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

He had a couple real duds against Colorado which was disappointing and odd with the altitude, but yeah otherwise can't say that I've noticed the punts which is generally good.

That Michigan return still makes me mad - they said Sanford didn't want to interfere with the catch, but I think he just misjudged that. It looks like he was timed up perfectly to hit right after the ball got there. And even if not that, you can't just go diving past him. If Alvano settles in the second half of the year I won't have any major special teams complaints.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

He had a couple real duds against Colorado which was disappointing and odd with the altitude, but yeah otherwise can't say that I've noticed the punts which is generally good.

That Michigan return still makes me mad - they said Sanford didn't want to interfere with the catch, but I think he just misjudged that. It looks like he was timed up perfectly to hit right after the ball got there. And even if not that, you can't just go diving past him. If Alvano settles in the second half of the year I won't have any major special teams complaints.

I forgot about the poor punting in the Colorado game. I think I have tried to block out my memory of that game, or the pre-game beers at the tailgate didn’t allow me to remember much of that game. 

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

Glad we have a dedicated special teams coach to get everything fixed.

#107 in punt returns
#34 in kick returns
#79 in punt coverage
#81 in punting
#132 in FG %
#23 in KO coverage (fortunate to have a TD called back)

Another name to add to our growing list

Raiola

McGuire

Satterfield

Foley

/s

• TBH 1

Apparently I'm the only one who thinks Marcus Washington's college career was cut short by a dirty play that not only wasn't called a penalty (grabbing a player on either side of the ball by the outside of their shoulder pads and slinging them to the ground like you're steer wrestling is holding), but unless I've missed it, nobody seems to have an issue with.   For all the touch & borderline penalties in football today, players shouldn't get hurt off the ball & away from the play like this.  

• TBH 1
39 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

Apparently I'm the only one who thinks Marcus Washington's college career was cut short by a dirty play that not only wasn't called a penalty (grabbing a player on either side of the ball by the outside of their shoulder pads and slinging them to the ground like you're steer wrestling is holding), but unless I've missed it, nobody seems to have an issue with.   For all the touch & borderline penalties in football today, players shouldn't get hurt off the ball & away from the play like this.  

Was thinking the similar when they showed the replay. The broadcast sure did gloss over that fact too. 

54 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

I don't believe I've ever seen a video clip of the play that shows what happened to him.

58 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

Ehhh, not dirty, just two dudes going at it.  I don't think he was intentionally trying to hurt him.  

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2

2 hours ago, floridacorn said:

Nearly every rushing play a WR gets thrown to the ground by a CB/S or a TE gets chucked by a LB. Marcus was trying to block him, the CB was trying to get him off. 

This was a freak injury, I would even go as far to say that Marcus got hurt fighting for his block with the DB, not that he got hurt by the DB. He got off balance and chucked because he injured himself.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1