**** Northwestern Game Day Thread****

26 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Our offensive playcalling was suspect at best all game long. The last third and four draw up the middle was a s*** call and playing not to lose—against a better team that lack of intestinal fortitude by our OC could swing momentum. Where are the Tight Ends—we only went to them a couple of times, and while they were getting manhandled more than a coed in a hotel room after prom, we should have included them a lot more to loosen up the NW defense. 

Someone brought up Wildcat and Sims on the sideline, and that’s a valid point…if you make the assumption that Bubba is a valid QB backup. From what we’ve seen, he isn’t, so why risk Sims on Wildcat? 

Our defensive playcalling will be the reason we go bowling, and our DC deserves a phat contract boost. 

That play call and was Big Ten West play call.  

I can only hope that with UCLA, USC, Wash and Oregon that we start to see more balls.

Good lord, Iowa punted today, down 2 at midfield with 2 minutes left. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

52 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

It doesn’t inspire confidence in the team if they know that the QB doesn’t sit regardless of how poor they play though. Even if it’s just a series here and there, the coaches need to figure out a way to mix in QBs if HH is playing as poorly as he has been for +80% of each game. 

Ya, these last couple a games the team won in spite of the QB play certainly not because of it.   

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
43 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

If he turns the ball over a lot next game then I agree. But I would take bad QB who doesn't turn the ball over over what we saw with Sims. Bad QB turning the ball over then fine, let them both play.

I don’t think what we are seeing with Heinrich is really any better than what we saw with Sims, HH has simply benefited by playing against teams with less talent and the outcomes have thankfully gone in our favor. Thankfully the defense has bailed us out over and over so far.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2

6 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I don’t think what we are seeing with Heinrich is really any better than what we saw with Sims, HH has simply benefited by playing against teams with less talent and the outcomes have thankfully gone in our favor. Thankfully the defense has bailed us out over and over so far.

The two games he started were the first two games-and road games-of the year. So much hype around the Colorado game too. I don’t know much about JS’s eligibility- could this be a red shirt year? 

4 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

The two games he started were the first two games-and road games-of the year. So much hype around the Colorado game too. I don’t know much about JS’s eligibility- could this be a red shirt year? 

Sims could use this as a redshirt, and transfer as a grad transfer and still have 2 years to play at his next school.

30 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Very possible.  The guys on 1620 brought that up after the game today.  Sims could play in 2 more games and retain his redshirt.

Is that true? I thought he came in for one snap in a home game when HH had to go out? That would be one game remaining. 

• Plus1 4

39 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

That’s a fair question and would make a lot of sense if they wanted to pursue that route. 

Totally agree that Sims had a tough draw to start. Credit to HH for capitalizing, but man does it look like he is regressing and becoming even less decisive. Very disappointing to come out of the bye week and look like that today. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Personally I'd start HH and see if he has the same problems next week (with TO) as this week, before I think about putting Sims in again.

This is where I am at right now. Yes, HH had some potential INT’s drop against Illinois, but this was his first game with more than one turnover.  The dropped snaps are also killer though, as they lead to a lost play, and are drive-killers. He has to play better, but I don’t think he can be benched after being named the starter by Rhule this week. Rhule was going to be loyal with Sims until Sims was injured, it’s not surprising that Rhule would be loyal with Haarberg, too.