2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Who caught the snap, made the runs and threw the passes on the scoring plays? You couldn't count on Sims to do any of that, and Purdy wasn't available. Without Haarberg we don't win those games because we didn't have anyone else on the roster. He played the most important position on the field in each of our wins. We won because he was on the field. 

Safe to assume you also believe Iowa won 10 games because of their QB play? He caught the snaps, had a season long run of 18 yards, and averaged throwing one touchdown pass every other game! He played the most important position on the field.

My sarcastic comments aside, I was impressed that we were able to win with Haarberg as our QB. He did an admirable job under the circumstances. That said, I hope the coaches can find or coach up other QBs to handle leading the team next year. I do not currently see a lot of upside with HH as our quarterback in the future. 

• TBH 3

8 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Safe to assume you also believe Iowa won 10 games because of their QB play? He caught the snaps, had a season long run of 18 yards, and averaged throwing one touchdown pass every other game! He played the most important position on the field.

Actually....yes.  Was he some dynamic passing or running QB that put the team on his back and won games?  No.  But, he was the next best thing.  He ran the offense that was ran, didn't make stupid mistakes and didn't turn the ball over.  If a drive was going to be a 3 and out, at least he didn't make it a 2 and gift.  Can you even imagine how nice it would have been to have that at QB for Nebraska this year?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
17 hours ago, Red Five said:

Plane that carried Satt to Lansing today is scheduled to go to Waco (Blake Shapen) tomorrow.

SLH818

Plane flew to Waco this morning.  Now scheduled to fly to Columbus (not the one in Nebraska) soon.  So is McCord or WR Julius Fleming in play?

McCord fits the 1 year rental QB criteria.

Fleming has 1 year to play and would be a veteran WR that could help.  Had 79 catches for 963 yards and 7 TDs in his 4 years at OSU being used mainly as a WR3 or WR4.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Please expand on how and why we won because of HH instead of winning despite HH. I'm assuming you'll fail to mention his 49% passing completion percentage and the way he regressed through the season. But I know your schtick is to nitpick single pieces of a larger statement to try and get a rise out of others. If that gives you your jollies, so be it.

My comment was answering the question of whether Sims earned the starting spot at the beginning of the season versus being handed the position. I did not hear a peep from others suggesting that Purdy or Haarberg should be the starter so I tend to assume that neither of them earned the starting spot. Sims' performances did not justify the starting spot and consequently he was benched.

I think we won because Haarberg was a bit less of a liability than Sims, and perhaps a better runner than we thought. Had Grant not fumbled and we managed to beat Minnesota, maybe it delays Sims demotion. 

Sure, you could argue that Sims won the starting position at the beginning of the season, when all they had to go on was practice, where perhaps the pressure wasn't as crippling as playing games that count against real opposition. Given that Rhule made Sims the centerpiece of his portal transfers, it's hard to imagine Sims wouldn't start the season, even if the staff was starting to have doubts. I'm not entirely convinced Sims was seriously injured; I think he may have helped take himself out of the game, making it easier for Rhule to replace him.

Can you imagine Rhule launching his Husker debut by admitting his portal QB was a wash-out, and a totally non-heralded QB leftover from Frost had earned the start? 

• Plus1 1

41 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Actually....yes.  Was he some dynamic passing or running QB that put the team on his back and won games?  No.  But, he was the next best thing.  He ran the offense that was ran, didn't make stupid mistakes and didn't turn the ball over.  If a drive was going to be a 3 and out, at least he didn't make it a 2 and gift.  Can you even imagine how nice it would have been to have that at QB for Nebraska this year?

He threw six interceptions and had five touchdown passes (no rushing TDs) for the season. He had more turnovers than scoring plays. Therefore, one could make the argument that Iowa won despite the performances of their QB.

If the criteria of QB quality is based on whether or not the team wins, then you are ignoring individual accountability. It would be like saying Drew Brees (115 games lost) and Brett Farve (114 games lost) were two of the worst QBs of all-time because they lost the 4th & 5th most games as starters in the history of the NFL. To reduce QB play to the end result is ill-advised. 

22 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think we won because Haarberg was a bit less of a liability than Sims, and perhaps a better runner than we thought. Had Grant not fumbled and we managed to beat Minnesota, maybe it delays Sims demotion. 

Sure, you could argue that Sims won the starting position at the beginning of the season, when all they had to go on was practice, where perhaps the pressure wasn't as crippling as playing games that count against real opposition. Given that Rhule made Sims the centerpiece of his portal transfers, it's hard to imagine Sims wouldn't start the season, even if the staff was starting to have doubts. I'm not entirely convinced Sims was seriously injured; I think he may have helped take himself out of the game, making it easier for Rhule to replace him.

Can you imagine Rhule launching his Husker debut by admitting his portal QB was a wash-out, and a totally non-heralded QB leftover from Frost had earned the start? 

I agree with you. Haarberg was a better game manager with an occasional play that made us say WOW. I believe he regressed as the year went on however, becoming more of a liability than an asset for the team. I still don't know how we were able to pull off that Northwestern win after a first play interception, a three and out, and then another interception, but I'm glad we did.

For whatever reason, Sims just could not seem to get out of his own way. He has all the tools of being a playmaker, it just wouldn't click for him this year. 

1 minute ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

He threw six interceptions and had five touchdown passes (no rushing TDs) for the season. Therefore he had more turnovers than scoring plays. Therefore, one could make the argument that Iowa won despite the performances of their QB.

If the criteria of QB quality is based on whether or not the team wins, then you are ignoring individual accountability. It would be like saying Drew Brees (115 games lost) and Brett Farve (114 games lost) were two of the worst QBs of all-time because they lost the 4th & 5th most games as starters in the history of the NFL. To reduce QB play to the end result is ill-advised. 

I didn't say he was a good QB.  I said they won because he did what he was asked to do.  He had 6 INTs in 12 games.  By comparison, Nebraska's QBs had 16 INTs in 12 games.  MY GOD...that makes me sick to type.  And...I'll guarantee you that Nebraska's had way more fumbles than he did.  Sure...Iowa would have loved him to throw more TDs.  But, that's not really what they were asking him to do.

2 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

My sarcastic comments aside, I was impressed that we were able to win with Haarberg as our QB. He did an admirable job under the circumstances. That said, I hope the coaches can find or coach up other QBs to handle leading the team next year. I do not currently see a lot of upside with HH as our quarterback in the future. 

Iowa's offense runs through their running back. Ours runs through the quarterback. Besides, everyone knows Iowa's MVP is their punter. :cheers

• TBH 1