2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I think it really depends on how the qb is getting used.  At Kansas State Adrian wasn't asked to be the whole offense like he was asked at Nebraska.  

Which is exactly my point in the Ward v McCord debate. And the reason Martinez didn’t have to carry the offense there was because they have a good oline.

• TBH 1

8 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Which is exactly my point in the Ward v McCord debate. And the reason Martinez didn’t have to carry the offense there was because they have a good oline.

Ward wasn't asked to be the whole offense at Washington State.  While his 11 fumbles are alarming his overall stats are good while McCord isn't a runner and more of a pocket passer.  It just really depends on what route HC Matt Rhule wants to go.  Having a dual threat qb or having a drop back passer.  Just your own personal preference.

• Haha 1

My board for QB, limited to those where we've reportedly talked to them:

1. McCord - he wasn't spectacular, had an incredible supporting cast at OSU, and will not make use of the option elements we added. But Big Ten experience is extremely valuable, as is experience with elite WRs like Harrison Jr. and Egbuka when working with young, talented WRs.
  2. Howard - Has the experience, and can be an asset in the run game. We'd still scale way back on the option game, but we should trade that for a functional passing game in a heartbeat.
    • Coming from the Big 12 gives me pause - transfer QBs have a hard time here. If you project a bite out of Howard's stats it's kinda meh - although still way better than what we had last year.
  3. Ward - He's already proven he can handle a jump in competition, but I don't think he offers as much in the run game as Howard and projecting him from the Pac-12 scares me. Might have the highest ceiling though.
  4. Shapen - Same story with the level of competition, and while he can move a bit I think he's comparable to Ward (but a worse passer) and not someone we'll use a lot of QB run game with. This is the point where I think it's conceivable Purdy could beat these guys out with a healthy offseason.
  5. Leavitt - Showed a couple flashes as a true freshman with no spring ball. Having an option beside Haarberg and Kaelin is a must, and among guys who would possily be willing to take that role and not start immediately he's a good option.

Regarding the toughness of playing QB in the Big Ten - in admittedly limited action and with incredible skill talent, Hudson Card was a 65% passer with an 11/2 TD/INT ratio and 7.9 YPA at Texas. At Purdue, with decent skill talent, that was 59%, 15/8, and 6.5. The AAC is another step down but Mordecai and Bryant also saw huge decreases in their stats. There are a lot of bad QBs in this conference, but there are also a lot of average ones made to look bad.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Ward wasn't asked to be the whole offense at Washington State.  While his 11 fumbles are alarming his overall stats are good while McCord isn't a runner and more of a pocket passer.  It just really depends on what route HC Matt Rhule wants to go.  Having a dual threat qb or having a drop back passer.  Just your own personal preference.

Do each only have 1 yr to play? 

10 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Ward averaged 40.4 passes and 10 rushes per game. He was their offense.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Is it really hard to say Adrian wasn't that good???

It's not hard to say that, it is just wrong. 

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I think it really depends on how the qb is getting used.  At Kansas State Adrian wasn't asked to be the whole offense like he was asked at Nebraska.  

You just answered your own question. 

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Washington State tends to pass a lot more then run the ball.  It's been that way since Ryan Leaf was there.  I don't consider Ward being their whole offense.

What else do you call it when 72% of their plays are are credited to him (passes, runs, sacks)? Passes are different than runs in that multiple receivers are involved, but it still goes through Ward. He was their leading rusher by attempts by 31 carries. Only Hawaii had a similar situation with the QB throwing around 500 times and carrying the ball more than 100. 

• Plus1 1