2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This seems like it's just a matter of him finding out what kind of offer we are going to give him.  Is he on scholarship?  Is he just on NIL?

Then, he will be N.

He should just be a walk-on getting some small NIL.  I get he is a freak athlete from Nebraska, but he had 0 D1 FBS offers out of high school.  And in 2 years at Montana he had 1 tackle.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This seems like it's just a matter of him finding out what kind of offer we are going to give him.  Is he on scholarship?  Is he just on NIL?

Then, he will be N.

Pretty sure anyone we get at this point is just going to be on NIL deals.

• TBH 4
19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He should just be a walk-on getting some small NIL.  I get he is a freak athlete from Nebraska, but he had 0 D1 offers out of high school.  And in 2 years at Montana he had 1 tackle.

I'll leave that judgement up to the coaches. 

I agree with @Mavric that it's probably all NIL, just a matter of how much and is he happy with it.  

I hope we get him.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

He should just be a walk-on getting some small NIL.  I get he is a freak athlete from Nebraska, but he had 0 D1 offers out of high school.  And in 2 years at Montana he had 1 tackle.

Montana is D1 FCS. He did not have an FBS offer

This one screams NIL walk-on. 

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, The Murphinator said:

Dylan Edwards leaving Colorado. Apparently we are in play 

Among KSU, KU, & Louisville. I think KSU is the large favorite here. 

big enough to where Steve Wiltfong is referencing his visit to Lincoln as a 12/10 in 2022 however.  

1 hour ago, Decked said:

Montana is D1 FCS. He did not have an FBS offer

This one screams NIL walk-on. 

Does it matter whether he's on scholarship or not these days? The scholarships and NIL money can be shuffled around to make pretty much anything work now.

14 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Does it matter whether he's on scholarship or not these days? The scholarships and NIL money can be shuffled around to make pretty much anything work now.

Yes. They don’t have the money to give many walk-ons the NIL treatment. Most of them aren’t good value. 

• TBH 1
3 hours ago, Red Five said:

I get he is a freak athlete from Nebraska, but he had 0 D1 FBS offers out of high school.  And in 2 years at Montana he had 1 tackle.

I share your skepticism.

However, one benefit of the doubt I'd give the staff here is in the flexibility of this defense. Guys often go to the lower division because their undersized, or they have the size but they aren't athletic enough. In some schemes, if you're not big enough there just becomes no where for you to play at your body type.

In this defense we can take a lot of athletes and find homes for them because we can make use of a plethora of body types that less flexible schemes can not. That's no assurance that any one player will pan out and just because you're a good athlete doesn't mean you're a good football player, but our recruiting philosophy of taking great athletes and trying to find where they work out best matches our defensive scheme.

• Plus1 1