What did we learn? Mich St version

Red Five

11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

What I don't get is we have almost no sample size for sims and we have a huge sample size for HH.

But it seems like HH can fumble, drop snaps, throw to the other team like it is his job and it is no big deal.

The sample size was 0-2 under Sims and 5-1 under Haarberg. 

I think most folks were okay to let the Haarberg machine keep rolling, fitful as it looked.

During that time Sims stepped in for 5 plays, and turned them into 4 near disasters and 1 total disaster. 

Georgia Tech fans contend there was a pretty big sample size for Sims before we grabbed him in the portal. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 4

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But Sims came into the Purdue game and was a complete mess. I don’t think Sims can be trusted to play at all.

Another thing is that with Haarberg keeping the #1 job “until he lost” he’s been getting most of the reps in practice and they have been working their game plan around HH, and doing what they think they can do to attack the defense with HH. If the coaches were going to make a change to Sims or Purdy, they would need to do it at the beginning of the week, so that new QB gets the bulk of the reps in practice. 

Perhaps he was a mess because HH has gotten all the practice time?  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, teachercd said:

Seems like you shouldn't need a lot of practice to turn the correct way on a handoff, snap the ball when we're trying to draw people offsides and not fumbe.

Also,  if you're going with that argument, HH should get a ton of leeway because he's had significantly less practice time than Sims.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

That’s probably true, but Haarberg hadn’t done anything in the previous weeks to lose his starting job, because NU was winning. Yes, NU may have been winning despite him, but HH was gaining the trust and leadership from his teammates. Now, if they pull HH, it could be considered a knee-jerk reaction to one loss.

The QB situation is a complete mess, but I don’t think anything can be done unless Haarberg gets injured or NU is losing so bad in a game that a backup comes in and plays well.  

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Seems like you shouldn't need a lot of practice to turn the correct way on a handoff, snap the ball when we're trying to draw people offsides and not fumbe.

Also,  if you're going with that argument, HH should get a ton of leeway because he's had significantly less practice time than Sims.

I also have no confidence in Sims, both drives he's been in since coming back have been incredibly disjointed and that reflects on him. But FWIW there's no way the not snapping the ball when a DL is in the neutral zone is on the QB - either the OL across from him needs to touch him or the center needs to snap it. There's not time to wait for a call for the ball to snap it, and sounds like Rhule expected the Guard or Tackle to draw the penalty.

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

HH fumbled a snap vs MSU.  

• Plus1 1

For as bad as we bash the O Line, through nine games we're still leading the Big Ten in rushing. 

I don't think they're as bad as we make them out to be. I just think we need to be passing less than 28 times a game (a season high), especially against a team in the bottom half of rush defense in the conference.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • TBH 2
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That’s probably true, but Haarberg hadn’t done anything in the previous weeks to lose his starting job, because NU was winning. Yes, NU may have been winning despite him, but HH was gaining the trust and leadership from his teammates. Now, if they pull HH, it could be considered a knee-jerk reaction to one loss.

The QB situation is a complete mess, but I don’t think anything can be done unless Haarberg gets injured or NU is losing so bad in a game that a backup comes in and plays well.  

Could be!

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

For as bad as we bash the O Line, through nine games we're still leading the Big Ten in rushing. 

I don't think they're as bad as we make them out to be. I just think we need to be passing less than 28 times a game (a season high), especially against a team in the bottom half of rush defense in the conference.

The callers to the local (omaha) shows would have everyone believe that NU is not rushing the ball at all and is dead last in the conference in rushing. 

• Plus1 3

9 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I think this has way more to do with the schedule than HH. You still have to win the games, which he has done, but the best win is… NW? 

I’m still waiting for some creativity on the offense. A trick play, a couple of wr sweeps, more TE action. But let’s run up the gut into a loaded box and pass on 3rd and long. 

We haven’t been to a bowl in 6 years. So freaking what if HH’s best win is NW? 

• TBH 4
Just now, knapplc said:

Yeah, NU passed 28 times, with a number of other pass plays negated due to sacks or QB scrambles. However, that number is inflated due to being down 2 scores for most of the 4th quarter. Also, NU was finding themselves in a number of 3rd and longs, which generally requires more passing.

I do think Satterfield went away from successful running plays too soon, trying to mix in a play action pass or a screen, but  they didn’t work. Satt is trying to generate big plays to score, and while it worked afainst NW and Purdue, it didn’t work against Michigan State. 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah, NU passed 28 times, with a number of other pass plays negated due to sacks or QB scrambles. However, that number is inflated due to being down 2 scores for most of the 4th quarter. Also, NU was finding themselves in a number of 3rd and longs, which generally requires more passing.

I do think Satterfield went away from successful running plays too soon, trying to mix in a play action pass or a screen, but  they didn’t work. Satt is trying to generate big plays to score, and while it worked afainst NW and Purdue, it didn’t work against Michigan State. 

Sounds like you want Satterfield to become SatterFIRED!  

• Haha 1
On 11/4/2023 at 3:05 PM, HuskersNC949597 said:

Because the way MSU's defense was playing, we had guys running wide open all over the field. The running game struggled more than some people probably care to admit/remember because of the loaded box. If Haarberg were even a mediocre QB today instead of a FREAKING ABORTION, Nebraska probably wins by 10+.

It's easy to be insulting to a player who probably won't read this statement. I wonder if you would call HH a "freaking abortion" to his face?

• TBH 4
29 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I also have no confidence in Sims, both drives he's been in since coming back have been incredibly disjointed and that reflects on him. But FWIW there's no way the not snapping the ball when a DL is in the neutral zone is on the QB - either the OL across from him needs to touch him or the center needs to snap it. There's not time to wait for a call for the ball to snap it, and sounds like Rhule expected the Guard or Tackle to draw the penalty.

Both of those can happen as well.  But the QB can also call for the snap.

Judging by the "discussion" Rhule was having with Sims after that play, I don't think he was blaming the center.