****Maryland Game Day Thread****

10 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

I say give Purdy 1st team reps now and start him next week. Teams already have enough tape to see how to stop the O with HH and his passing is 100% not fixable. His mechanics are trash. Don’t need to game plan for Sims because he will eventually implode and beat himself. Purdy may have enough unknowns to be able to squeak out a win. But my god what a s#!t show this is rn

You said what I was gonna say. There's clearly a lack of communication because he's a third stringer and he's been known to put on a circus act in the past, but I think he's our best option right now.

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

When you go away from what is working or decide to throw head into a wind to open a drive in a tight game against an opponent who is far more talented than you offensively and you need to limit their opportunities, yes you can

You can and that's what I've been blaming him for most games, but you have to also accept that some of our players can't find their a$$ with both hands.

25 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

You know what you don’t call? A long horizontal pass play with a short field, at home , with a 3rd string qb.

he’s limited in options for sure but that play call is inexcusable for a HS cosch, much less the 2nd highest paid state employee 

That's true....and a good QB wouldn't throw it away. Do you know where we can get a good QB? As far as I'm concerned they can hire Solich and run pro sets and option.

1 hour ago, PaulCrewe said:

YOU actually thought that was a good play call.  With the elements??  With the QB situation???  With how Emmet has ran today???  With the score????  

That's why:facepalm:

Hey drunk boy, my post was prior to that play call.   And no, it was a s#!tty play call.

QB play is THE glaring issue.  There has been improvement everywhere else. Penalties used to be a big problem on the team, especially O line.  Not so anymore. 

RBs are getting better.  We miss our starters but not as much as we expected. WRs are raw and green and hit or miss.  I expect good improvement next year in that room.  We have NO short passing game.  Not sure why but we have no chance on 3rd & 5 seemingly.  Obvious tendency is throw on first downs, a lot.  We don’t give our run game a chance to get ten yards on three plays cause we start 2nd & ten.  

Play calling seems to be what Satt wants to do not necessarily what needs to be with our roster.  But, it is tough to call plays with our QBs currently.  

One glaring missing ingredient is the I formation and the FB gives.  We can’t get outside when we have ZERO inside threat. 
Satt lacks the true power run game instincts.  If he will yield to this it would really help an inept offense.  Sadly, our QB play is the heart of our problems.  Been so all season.  Imo.  

7 minutes ago, lo country said:

Agree, but the OC who watches practice should call low risk throws.  Just make the "rudimentary" passes.  Sadlt we can't even do that.  Unsure if I have seen a team this devoid of actual QB talent.

The gamble and subsequent loss on taking Simms in the Portal hurts big time, but the offense as a whole was pretty void of experienced playmakers, plus the injuries....

All things considered, I just don't think firing a coordinator (as many are angrily drunk posting) is the way to go.  

• TBH 1
43 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

That's true....and a good QB wouldn't throw it away. Do you know where we can get a good QB? As far as I'm concerned they can hire Solich and run pro sets and option.

The sad part is we don’t even need a good qb. A below average qb would have us at 7-3 right now. We quite possibly have the worst QB room in P5 CFB history. 

• Fire 1
18 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

The gamble and subsequent loss on taking Simms in the Portal hurts big time, but the offense as a whole was pretty void of experienced playmakers, plus the injuries....

All things considered, I just don't think firing a coordinator (as many are angrily drunk posting) is the way to go.  

Agree. I’m coming off like I am a huge Satt supporter but it was the one hire I was iffy on. I just think the verdict is still unclear. He literally has nothing to work with and constant knee jerk coaching fires are rarely the way to get better quickly. If we get a decent average QB and the offense is still horrid, then show him the door. But not now