****Wisconsin Game Day Thread****

Just now, Moiraine said:

I think people were more pissed at the playcall, but I can’t speak for everyone. 

The issue is that the macro game management was terrible. 

We went for 7 last week when 3 wins the game, we went for 3 tonight when 7 wins the game. 

This coaching is pathetic and is astounding that it can be this poor at this level of football. Nebraska isn't going to make a bowl game with the easiest schedule imaginable because the coaches are clueless on how to manage games. 

• Haha 2
  • TBH 2

I wasn't pissed at any of it.  This was an out fricken standing game that Nebraska has not played in for a LONG time.  Yes it sucks to lose, but I would argue this is the first time in a very long time Nebraska lost a tight game because they just got beat by a better team.  Not because they found a way to lose it, like they have so often in the past 6 years.

Just now, Dr. Strangelove said:

We went for 7 last week when 3 wins the game, we went for 3 tonight when 7 wins the game. 

This coaching is pathetic and is astounding that it can be this poor at this level of football. Nebraska isn't going to make a bowl game with the easiest schedule imaginable because the coaches are clueless on how to manage games. 

put down the beer and go to bed.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Dr. Strangelove said:

I actually forgot for a bit we were tied last week. Tried to put it out of my mind. That is probably the biggest difference. 

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I think people were more pissed at the playcall, but I can’t speak for everyone. 

The point of the playcall is running last week is basically conceding for the FG and this week they gave themselves chances at a TD but ran the clock all the way down to give Wisconsin no chance after they have moved down the field easily the last few drives. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Last week they made a FG. It would not have won the game. I'm not sure why that's so hard for people to understand. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

There are much lower risk plays than the one people keep pointing to when comparing this week to last (ignoring the other differences in the 2 situations).

And if that’s the case, I fail to see why going for OT is better than trying to have 2 more plays in regulation, especially on the road. 

Also, why do you keep saying you’re going to stop talking to me then keep replying and now you’ve moved on to telling me to stop? I’ll stop whenever I feel like it or am not allowed to post anymore. You can in turn do whatever you feel like, but it’s been weird so far. 

No, I said I was gonna ignore you an hour ago and you decided to @gossamorharpy on a few of your posts.  

i was compelled to respond when I saw yet another one of your posts acting like we have a 1st round qb, all conf weapons and a kicker who can boot it 65 yards against the wind in a blizzard.  

but you’re right, this will be my last response to you. At the end of the day we both love and support the same team and just want to see a win. I’m sorry if I crossed the line, just felt like you took it to a personal level at first. Maybe some day we’ll all have a chuckle over this when we’re actually competent again. 

3 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

No, I said I was gonna ignore you an hour ago and you decided to @gossamorharpy on a few of your posts.  

i was compelled to respond when I saw yet another one of your posts acting like we have a 1st round qb, all conf weapons and a kicker who can boot it 65 yards against the wind in a blizzard.  

but you’re right, this will be my last response to you. At the end of the day we both love and support the same team and just want to see a win. I’m sorry if I crossed the line, just felt like you took it to a personal level at first. Maybe some day we’ll all have a chuckle over this when we’re actually competent again. 

Sounds good

Game management seems harder with guys who are either unproven or proven to be turnover machines.

We have only been able to trust one unit all year, so I'm not super surprised we played to our defense and expected to get one more stop in OT.  This year's team plays to its defense.  Unfortunately,  they weren't able to help the offense on 2 critical drives in the last 2 games....if only lol

• TBH 1
3 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

Game management seems harder with guys who are either unproven or proven to be turnover machines.

We have only been able to trust one unit all year, so I'm not super surprised we played to our defense and expected to get one more stop in OT.  This year's team plays to its defense.  Unfortunately,  they weren't able to help the offense on 2 critical drives in the last 2 games....if only lol

Agreed.

You play to your greatest strength.

How many games have we lost over the past 10 years. (including against Wisconsin) where we do score, but leave to much time on the clock.  and the other team drives down in less than 90 seconds and scores to win.  My god people.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

The point of the playcall is running last week is basically conceding for the FG and this week they gave themselves chances at a TD but ran the clock all the way down to give Wisconsin no chance after they have moved down the field easily the last few drives. 

Last week they made a FG. It would not have won the game. I'm not sure why that's so hard for people to understand. 

What are you talking about? It was 10-10 before Purdy's pass. A FG gives you the lead and likely the game. 

This coaching staff is terrible at game management, losing to the easiest schedule they will ever face.

And tonight they couldn't have coached worse under two minutes if they tried. It's pathetic.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

19 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

There really is no such thing as game management when your entire offense has zero strengths to lean on.

At some point a player needs to make a play. Unfortunately we’re limited to trotting out players who should see at most 10 snaps a game or be on the practice squad

look at belichik right now. Considered one of the greatest coaches ever and the pats are an embarrassment because the talent level is abysmal. 

12 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

What are you talking about? It was 10-10 before Purdy's pass. A FG gives you the lead and likely the game. 

This coaching staff is terrible at game management, losing to the easiest schedule they will ever face.

And tonight they couldn't have coached worse under two minutes if they tried. It's pathetic.

Maryland drove down and kicked a FG. It would not have won the game. It's literally what happened. In fact Maryland was close enough to easily try for a TD so a FG had a not small chance of not even forcing OT last week. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Maryland drove down and kicked a FG. It would not have won the game. It's literally what happened. In fact Maryland was close enough to easily try for a TD so a FG had a not small chance of not even forcing OT last week. 

It’s what happened, but what happened is only a given in different circumstances if you believe those circumstances (momentum/emotion) can’t impact teams. Maybe they would have scored a FG or TD. Maybe the defense would have been bolstered by the lead rather than dejected by the interception, and Maryland’s offense more nervous being down and not on a high after seeing their defense get the pick.

Regardless, how you act tied at home maybe should be different than how you act behind on the road. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
10 minutes ago, presidentjlh said:

It’s the exact same team that we’ve seen since the 2001 Colorado game.

It’s been the exact same team, every year, since 2001. In 2009 and 10 we had a few players that helped us just glimpse at being good, but other than that, same exact team. The players and coaches change out but it’s all been the same team.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1