Fire Satterfield

Decked

13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The problem predates Satterfield. It's a culture issue.

At this point in the season I strongly disagree with that statement. The culture has vastly improved. The end of game and OT issues are not cultural, they are coaching.

There's enough evidence this season (despite the injuries) that Sat is highly suspect as a play caller. The choices in the final series of the 4th quarter and OT were horrible. Purdy made some good throws and runs to try to win this game. Unfortunately he was put in some bad spots with play calls, clock management, and penalties.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, Gorillahawk said:

I agree the culture needs to change, but I’m also willing to give Rhule a couple years to change it. 

Yes Rhule is here. But disappointed he did not go for the win tonight. Chubba could have gained a lot of confidence winning the game and it’s like we took the air out of the ball.  It’s like he didn’t want him to have same experience as last week. Scared to fail. We are not a tough physical team on offense. I want an OL that other teams fear. If you can block then the offense would run much better.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I don't think anyone is saying this is the offense we want, I simply don't think that one works either. We have to be able to function both running and passing, when the situation calls for it.   It's too easy for P5 defenses if you are one dimensional, as we have seen all year.

Salter has thrown 26 TD's to 4 INT's, almost 2200 yards, with an almost 60% completion rate and rushed for 705 yards.  Granted in the G5, but not bad numbers at all.  Chadwell's O has been run centric, but still has QB's that can effectively move the ball through the air.  I definitely wouldn't call them one dimensional.

3 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Yes Rhule is here. But disappointed he did not go for the win tonight. Chubba could have gained a lot of confidence winning the game and it’s like we took the air out of the ball.  It’s like he didn’t want him to have same experience as last week. Scared to fail. We are not a tough physical team on offense. I want an OL that other teams fear. If you can block then the offense would run much better.

Rhule even said about last weeks call (to paraphrase) "We want to teach the kids to not be afraid to fail"  What did they teach tonite with the horrible clock management and not going for the win.  Manage the time better and you'd still have 10-15 secs minimum and 1 TO to try.  

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, lo country said:

Salter has thrown 26 TD's to 4 INT's, almost 2200 yards, with an almost 60% completion rate and rushed for 705 yards.  Granted in the G5, but not bad numbers at all.  Chadwell's O has been run centric, but still has QB's that can effectively move the ball through the air.  I definitely wouldn't call them one dimensional.

Maybe the defenses in the G5 are not nearly as good as they are in the P5.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

It's very heavily run oriented, and it breaks down if you get off schedule.  It is a better version of what the academies run for sure, but I truly doubt you will ever see a Power 5 school run it, and there's a reason for that.

12 minutes ago, lo country said:

Rhule even said about last weeks call (to paraphrase) "We want to teach the kids to not be afraid to fail"  What did they teach tonite with the horrible clock management and not going for the win.  Manage the time better and you'd still have 10-15 secs minimum and 1 TO to try.  

Rhule tonight made reference that last week he was asked why he didn’t run it. I guess I could see if Purdy throws another INT tonight that would be brutal. To me it felt different tonight. It felt like we had momentum to win the game and try to steal it on the road. Last week it felt like kick it to take the lead and put pressure on Maryland to counter against  our defense. We lost both times which really sucks. Ultimately the coach has to understand his personnel. I don’t think we have a dominant receiver that can win the game there. So until we improve the roster we are going to be in these tight games needing a star or someone to step up.  I think for the Iowa game we go for broke. Someone needs to have a breakout game. Chubba showed me some leadership on offense tonight but no one else really showed me we are winning the game. Wisconsin had those players on their offense tonight. Sucks for us.

• TBH 1
8 minutes ago, ZRod said:

At this point in the season I strongly disagree with that statement. The culture has vastly improved. The end of game and OT issues are not cultural, they are coaching.

There's enough evidence this season (despite the injuries) that Sat is highly suspect as a play caller. The choices in the final series of the 4th quarter and OT were horrible. Purdy made some good throws and runs to try to win this game. Unfortunately he was put in some bad spots with play calls, clock management, and penalties.

I agree with your assessment on culture.

However I didn’t have a problem with OT play calling. Heck if the D had held 1 more play we could’ve won with a FG.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

I agree with your assessment on culture.

However I didn’t have a problem with OT play calling. Heck if the D had held 1 more play we could’ve won with a FG.

The part where they could only do two things on third down - throw it to Pauling or run QB draw - and we couldn't stop either all night was particularly disappointing.

• Plus1 3

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

What skill position has shined? Well, let's see. Here are our injuries:

-Gabe Ervin

-Rahmir Johnson

-Marcus Washington

You want Chadwell's scheme, right? How is what we did tonight appreciably different than Chadwell's stuff? We ran option, we ran zone read. We run a bunch of stuff out of the "I" (which lifelong Husker fans generally are really happy about).

We needed Chubba's game that he had tonight against Michigan State & Maryland and we're 7-4 right now. Hell, make it 8-4 if he had played like tonight against Minnesota.

Are those 3 guys game changers?  Have they been game changers?  TBH, I'd say that Liberty's skill guys and QB are better than ours.  And that's an issue.  Better talent or development?  

Chadwell knows his scheme forwards and backwards.  It's his.  A lot of read option, misdirection and RPO. One predicated with the run, attack the perimeter with QB or a pass.  More like a triple option with the receiver as an option.  Also uses mostly 20/21 personnel.  Something that would bode well with NU's stable of backs.  I also like that much like TO, they have a set of core plays/principles that they run through a lot of different motions and formations. It's a unique option, and much like TO's is difficult to devote a lot of practice to as it isn't that common. Plus I am biased.  I like a run based scheme.   

Chubba is the best QB on the roster and it's not even close.  I loved the misdirection in the first quarter, but do not remember seeing it again.  

End of the day, I just want NU to win again.  I do not think we will get to where we want to be with Satt as the OC.  If we go all WCO, Spread, Pro Style, Texas Coast etc...I don't care.  Just win.

9 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Rhule tonight made reference that last week he was asked why he didn’t run it. I guess I could see if Purdy throws another INT tonight that would be brutal. To me it felt different tonight. It felt like we had momentum to win the game and try to steal it on the road. Last week it felt like kick it to take the lead and put pressure on Maryland to counter against  our defense. We lost both times which really sucks. Ultimately the coach has to understand his personnel. I don’t think we have a dominant receiver that can win the game there. So until we improve the roster we are going to be in these tight games needing a star or someone to step up.  I think for the Iowa game we go for broke. Someone needs to have a breakout game. Chubba showed me some leadership on offense tonight but no one else really showed me we are winning the game. Wisconsin had those players on their offense tonight. Sucks for us.

Agree.  What current O player to put the game on their shoulders to win?  Half a$$ blocking by receivers and TE's. RB rotation is ridiculous at best.  Like every play you swap them out.  No rhythm at all.  Receivers don't appear to have near the ability of other receivers on other teams that routinely make great plays.  QB's who are just as likely to throw a pick as they are an incomplete pass....Go for broke next week.  Leave it all on the field.  Iowa would love nothing more than to send us home (again) without a bowl game.  Who wants it more.....