Fire Satterfield

Decked

1 minute ago, HANC said:

Correct! I was going to mention the bowls, wasn’t sure how many 

Those were some rabid fan days for sure:D  Never knew how good we had it.  That's what makes it harder now.  Knowing how Nebraska was and the type of athletes we had.  A lot has changed in the landscape, but Bama wandered in the desert for years and so did OU.  Right staff, players, attitude I still have hopes we can get back. 

• TBH 1

This is from a Gamecock writer...I didn't realize that our TO margin was a 10 year record.I know it won't change things as Satt is staying....But to see those stats in one paragraph.  Our offense needs a complete overhaul.  Those stats are horrific.  We can blame the injuries, lack of depth, TO's etc, but at the end of the day the OC is also the QB coach.  He owns a lot of this.  

The Cornhuskers are 121st in the country in points per game (18.7), and they average just 317 yards per contest (114th in the nation). Their 31 turnovers are the most in college football. In fact, that number is the worst in college football in over a decade.

The Huskers’ 27 touchdowns in the worst in over ten years for Nebraska football, and their 9 passing touchdowns are 7th-worst in the country. Big Red has scored 30 points just twice (over hapless Purdue and Northern Illinois), and they’ve been held to 20 or fewer points on 9 occasions.

More comments in the article below. SC not happy with him either.

https://garnetandcocky.com/2023/11/24/south-carolina-football-nebraska-satt/

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

32 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

South Carolina must have made a huge jump on offense and won more games this year once they dumped Satt. Oh wait they scored 6 less points per game and also missed a bowl this year. Welp those fans were certainly validated. 

This is an "end thread" if I've ever seen one. Amazing work.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of our fans that constantly say "we don't have an offensive identity" don't actually know what they'd change if given the chance.

So.  Much.  This.

It's the biggest "argument that sounds like an argument that really isn't an argument" out there.

I've asked people who make this claim over the years what Alabama's offensive identity is.  Or Ohio State's.  No one has an answer.

Rhule said it perfectly earlier in the year:  Don't confuse lack of success for lack of identity.

• Plus1 7
57 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

South Carolina must have made a huge jump on offense and won more games this year once they dumped Satt. Oh wait they scored 6 less points per game and also missed a bowl this year. Welp those fans were certainly validated. 

A post I saw on 247 regarding the total offensive rankings of a Satt led offense. Of these seasons: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2021, 2022, & 2023 his best offense was 75. That was 2022. We finished the year 110/130s. Believe he also led back to back season of a team having one of the highest turnover rates in the country. 

Yeah the guy is great coach. 

I would rather have goddamn Brian Ferentz

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
4 minutes ago, Decked said:

I haven't seen anybody saying he's a "great" coach.

5 minutes ago, Decked said:

Believe he also led back to back season of a team having one of the highest turnover rates in the country. 

Would have to fact check that I guess. If I really thought he was personally the root cause of all of the turnovers, I would actually agree that firing him right now would be a smart move. I'm just pretty skeptical that's the case though.

• TBH 1

56 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of our fans that constantly say "we don't have an offensive identity" don't actually know what they'd change if given the chance.

One thing I noticed was that starting in the Wisconsin game, we kind of opened up the field. Seems to me that was because Purdy can actually:

A) Hit receivers as they're breaking open with nice, crisp throws.

B) Make his reads faster and then scrambles for yards if the pass play isn't there.

There was almost nothing I didn't like about what we tried to do against Wisconsin & Iowa...we just turned the ball over when we shouldn't have, and our run blocking was poor against Iowa.

How does an offensive overhaul change the turnovers? That's really just a basic "between the ears" thing. I think it's actually largely psychological; these guys just feel so much pressure.

The pressure comes from many directions. It comes from being recognized and asked for autographs while you're waiting in line for your Chipotle burrito at 13th & 'Q.' It comes from so many interviews after just a Tuesday practice. It comes from being expected every season to be "a part of something big in turning this historic program around."

Rhule is going to have to sort out the psychological aspect of this, IMO.

I vote our identity becomes "scoring points".

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

One thing I noticed was that starting in the Wisconsin game, we kind of opened up the field. Seems to me that was because Purdy can actually:

A) Hit receivers as they're breaking open with nice, crisp throws.

B) Make his reads faster and then scrambles for yards if the pass play isn't there.

There was almost nothing I didn't like about what we tried to do against Wisconsin & Iowa...we just turned the ball over when we shouldn't have, and our run blocking was poor against Iowa.

How does an offensive overhaul change the turnovers? That's really just a basic "between the ears" thing. I think it's actually largely psychological; these guys just feel so much pressure.

The pressure comes from many directions. It comes from being recognized and asked for autographs while you're waiting in line for your Chipotle burrito at 13th & 'Q.' It comes from so many interviews after just a Tuesday practice. It comes from being expected every season to be "a part of something big in turning this historic program around."

Rhule is going to have to sort out the psychological aspect of this, IMO.

I feel this is so much of it.  I would hope they wouldnt have that fear of failure so bad that they cant get out of there own heads.  But i can see that.  I truly can, this place, there are alot of expectations that come with it.  Look at the big programs that have had a hard time coming back.  Florida, Miami, Texas, USC are all chock full of talent and have been at the pinacle but are having a huge problem getting back to 10+ wins

• Fire 1
21 minutes ago, Decked said:

A post I saw on 247 regarding the total offensive rankings of a Satt led offense. Of these seasons: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2021, 2022, & 2023 his best offense was 75. That was 2022. We finished the year 110/130s. Believe he also led back to back season of a team having one of the highest turnover rates in the country. 

I would rather have goddamn Brian Ferentz

Look I don't think Satt is the long term answer at all, but I think right now he is calling an offense complimentary to what Rhule wants to do and trying to make something work with the personnel that we have. We went from 122nd last year in TOP to 44th this year. I think we committed to slowing down the game to help out a defense that played well but could definitely get abused in the right circumstance. I also know the turnovers are the biggest issue but I'm not sure what you can point out specifically in his offense that is the cause of them. 

I don't think Rhule is just ignoring the issues with our offense and pretending everything is fine. I trust Rhule to have a long term plan because we have the evidence that he knows how to do that. 

• Plus1 3

There's likely a correlation to coordinator's success rankings in relation to the players that are participating in their offenses. I'm guessing that talent and higher athletic abilities have something to do with fueling the success one enjoys as well as other factors that work on behalf of the unit. We'll call these nuances.

Correlations aren't "causes" of coarse and, they can coexist together. The coach has to have the ability to acquire those players, develop them and have strategies and contingencies to effectively implement their strengths. Maybe the player experiences the coach has even offer opportunities for these teachers to learn as well parlaying into improving their craft.

Most of us here likely have self reflected on our work performances throughout our lives and have gone about the business making corrections and improving so that we could compete with our peers, offer value. We've experienced coworkers too who blame others, rarely, if ever accepting responsibility and are very good at arguing. You are the target of their wrath. There's not much reflection going on with those folks if any but lots of irrational reactions and answers to almost everything independent of whatever competencies they might have. 

We have markets for managers and employees and coaches and players. If you've ever been a manager or coach, you know you work with what you can get with what you can offer the employees or players. Sometimes you just hope that the people you've chosen to lead can learn, reflect and have the potential for growth not possessing ethical flexibility and that sort of stuff. It's on you to seek those people out and do the very best you can to generate the results you're seeking. 

On a Friday night you order a pizza. Lots of things have gone into your having a satisfying experience. All the ingredients being worked with, the persons hired to prepare it, the manager charged with executing the mission of serving it to you and a whole host of contributing factors. If the person forgets to put the meat on your pizza or, if the meat on your pizza pie happens to have a bone in it that chips a tooth, all of the sudden a bunch of efforts were spoiled. You'd have every right to bring it to someone's attention and not be pleased with the ordeal. 

People make both honest and reckless errors and, errors due to incompetence and a variety of other reasons. Sometimes we can exact responsibility upon one individual, other times not. Perhaps it's a combination of things with grey areas. I used to know a guy that would go off saying wild things absent any reasoning. He knew what he wanted and most of the time what he wanted wasn't unreasonable. It's just that he placed guilt and shame on people that oftentimes wasn't warranted. As a consequence, those who were serving were less motivated to carry out their tasks. Others were reluctant to join the team. You probably know the routine. No one wins. It's just more exhaustion and suffering. 

Sometimes people complain to make themselves feel better about themselves. We want to say to those particular nasty ones criticizing us, "Alright, do ya feel better now". Maybe they go on platforms saying the same things again and again or simply hurl a can of beer at your place for upsetting them. You laugh at the ridiculousness of it. Wouldn't have sitting down having a discussion over beverages been better! Alright, counseling sessions and potential medication could be more in order. (Ha)

The outcome of this season hurts. There seems no way out of the ongoing, unrelenting hell. It'd be abnormal if you and I weren't hurting. That's be like someone cutting themselves or repetitively placing their fingers on very hot surface and their enjoying it instead of experiencing pain. Or, dating the person who throws you one hurtful bomb after one hurtful bomb expecting the relationship to be blissful. STOP  IT. I LOVE YOU. BUT YOU ARE DRIVING ME NUTS!!! Except you can't. You chose not to anyway. 

There's no doubt in my mind that Coach Rhule and his team are reflecting on the season and are beginning now to do what they can to produce the results they intend on delivering. They are neither satisfied or happy and will work toward making what seems impossible possible and, do what they can to accomplish their aim. As challenging as it is, like our team we have to put our faith in and trust the process.

Everyone will have their opportunities to share their humble opinions as we should. Along with that though, keeping things in perspective and going a little easier on ourselves and each other is in our interest too. You can come up with something I'm sure. 

• Plus1 3